MapMyRun syncing with MFP and FitBit

Options
katiebean
katiebean Posts: 110 Member
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked a thousand times before. I'm just confused as to where my steps come from when I go for a run.

So, when I run I wear my FitBit (flex) but I track my run using MapMyRun. MapMyRun syncs to MFP which syncs to FitBit, so it overrides (I assume) what FitBit already had during that time. My question is … on MFP it then tells me how many steps I've done, from MapMyRun. Are these steps from FitBit via MapMyRun? Or are they what MapMyRun works out itself based on distance, time etc?

I'm just generally confused about the idea of using MapMyRun to sync over FitBit too … I prefer it because of the information it gives, plus I like it logged as a separate exercise as opposed to just adding to overall steps and active minutes. But I'm confused about the steps and I don't know if I'm doing it all correctly.

Hopefully that all made sense!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Steps displayed on MFP - depends on what you have selected in the MFP app for steps to come from?

Only workout start, duration, calorie count sync from MFP to Fitbit to replace what it came up with. No steps.

If your MMR steps are coming to MFP, should be able to confirm this easily - but that's only per the workout, not the daily - so I'd doubt greatly steps is received from MMR as a stat.

Are you sure MMR even has steps as a stat?

• katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, it's just looks that way on the MFP daily summary on days I use MMR. Perhaps they're coming from Fitbit via MMR and that's why it looks like they've come from MMR on MFP.

Thanks for your reply :)
  • heybales
    Options
    Fitbit does send step count to MFP - that's what it's called actually for the field name.

I've not heard of Fitbit replacing it's step count with any incoming data.
    Only time it'll replace what it actually saw is if you manually log walking/running workout, then it'll divide the given distance by the stride length and calculate the step count.
    This includes using the Fitbit app's GPS ability for a workout.
  • ChrstnMchl
    ChrstnMchl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I just set it all up last night so I'm new to FitBit (been using MMR and MFP for years). I haven't gone a run yet, but MFP says I have 353 MapMyRun steps on the dashboard and then when I go to the diary it shows a MapMyRun Calorie Adjustment for those steps (no calories though). Both MFP and MMR are linked to FitBit so I guess FitBit is flowing to MMR and then flowing to MFP.

I'm just trying to make sure I have it right as well.
  • ChrstnMchl
    ChrstnMchl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think I figured it out. So, in MFP under the main menu on the left (Android) there is a Steps section. If you select that it asks you to Choose a Device. Mine has three options, MapMyRun, Fitbit Tracker, or Add a Device. Mine had MapMyRun chosen - I'm guessing because I had linked MFP and MMR before getting the FitBit. This why all of my steps where showing up coming from MMR since FitBit was linked with MMR as well (I guess). I kept it that way because I didn't see a reason to change it. After a run yesterday though, it looks like MFP double counted the steps from the run. I changed the Device choice to FitBit and now the correct quantity of steps show - it also says FitBit Tracker Steps on the home page now as well.

You may want to check that section as well. I hadn't read anywhere to change it or set it up there. I know I didn't initially set it up there (under Steps).
  • heybales
    Options
    That setting also has the major effect if the other data from Fitbit is going to used (usually) - like daily calorie burn.

When someone has their daily burn calorie level stopped coming across to MFP - it's usually because that setting for whatever reason has gone to either MFP, or as you found, some other app counting steps.
  • pams1st
    pams1st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, so to recap..I can continue logging in my daily one or two mile walk to MFP and it Fitbit won't count it twice. Right? I am not logging anything into Fitbit manually.

I am so confused,
    Pam
  • heybales
    Options
    Why log it into MFP at all? - because that will replace what Fitbit actually saw.
    Won't be twice - but you are wiping out potentially more accurate info the Fitbit is built to do well - walking.

Just make a wall post about your workout - with better details than "walked a dog (3mph) for 30 min" you get by logging a workout.
    Fitbit for activity stuff, MFP for food logging.
    Merely post your workouts as a wall comment so people know you are working out.