Hunting for Swai (Fish) and Low Carb Recipe(s)

Options
Sharona_Mills
Sharona_Mills Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Does anyone have a breading type recipe(s) besides Parmesan cheese for Fish?
I won't touch flour or bread crumbs. Parmesan is great but I need something else to use.
I'm do a strictly low carb life style or I don't eat it.

What oil(s) are the best for frying?

Also I was once told I could buy pork rinds and prepare them myself. Anyone have a name for those? I'm looking for BBQ Pork Rinds. I've tried all the others and can't eat them. BBQ I seem to be able to eat.

I also need more friends on MFP. Please add me if you are doing "lowwww carbs"

Thanks,
Sharona

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've not tried this myself yet, but I've seen recipes that use almond flour or crushed nuts instead of breading. Perhaps it would work for nicely with your fish dishes.
  • CandyLZ
    CandyLZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked fish fillets in butter with fresh rosemary, parsley & oregano.
    Last week I sautéed with chili powder and garlic powder.
    I have also sautéed in bacon grease.
    Using different fats and seasonings will make it different each time.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    How about dipping your fish in egg, and then dipping it in unsweetened coconut flakes? That should work as well.
  • magimamma
    magimamma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I saw soya flour mentioned in a recipe: dip in egg then soya flour and fry. Not tried it myself but could be worth a go?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Are you pan frying? Why do you need to bread it? I had Blue Line Tile Fish tonight in butter lemon and capers. When I deep fry, I use corn starch. Sometimes cornmeal. Yes it has carbs but only about 6 per tablespoon. 1 tablespoon of cornmeal can provide a light dusting to a 6 ounce filet and it will be nice and crunchy

In regards to oil, I keep it pretty simple. Butter, olive oil or avocado oil for pan frying (or a combination). Browned butter is excellent on fish. For deep frying, I'm stuck on peanut oil.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've done chicken with a mixture of pork rinds and unsweetened coconut flakes!!!! Yummy!!! and it's got crunch!