Exercises

Options
1_Ton_Lady
1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
What kind of exercises do you do? I've tried T25, 21 Day Fix, Yoga for Beginners, etc and I find so many of them cause too much pain in my wrists. Am I confined to just walking as my exercise? How do I strength train if that's the case? FYI, I'm not able to purchase any gym memberships at this time.

Replies

• ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Is anyone doing weightlifting? I have been reading that lifting is superior to cardio for losing weight because you will build muscle, while with pure cardio you will lose fat AND muscle, maybe more muscle than fat. That way you will end looking toned and fit, and not what they call "skinny fat"- not overweight, but very little muscle, mostly just fat under the skin.
    My issue is that my right elbow joint hurts if I pick up anything over about 2 pounds. Im not really sure if this can be remedied by strength training, or will prevent me from building up any muscle, from any type of lifting.
    Not sure if my RA dr would be able to tell me, or if that's best directed to someone who knows lifting instead.
    I just bought two sets of dumbells, 2 lb and 3 lb, because the 5 just hurt too much at this point.
    I also bought one of those stretchy tubes tyou can pull/step on, I figured that wont affect my elbow (I hope).
    Thought it better to try some manual things before spending a ton on home gym equipment.
  • GoddessAmy
    GoddessAmy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I am 54 and have RA and Sjogren's syndrome. Some days are better than others. I can avoid the worst of it with an anti-inflammatory diet - when I go off that I can barely walk, but when on it am functional.

Yoga was too much on many of my joints, but then I found Pilates. It both stretches and strengthens, and using the equipment allows me to accommodate when my ankle/knee/back/hand/wrist etc acts up. You can actually do more with the equipment, so if you try pilates I recommend going to a studio with an experienced instructor and do not start with a matt class - start on the reformer or pole. It looks scary, but this is actually why pilates was invented - allow the equipment to help you do what you cannot do alone.

Pilates helps with strength as well as flexibility, fyi, and it's really helped me.