Flex 2 for a casual swimmer?

Options
butterflyfaerie
butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
I have a Charge 2 that I use for my every day life, but I'm going swimming approximately two of my workout days a week, and was wondering if it was worth buying a Flex 2 for use while I'm in the pool.

I've been submitting my pool workouts manually on Fitbit, but I'm not sure how accurate they are (imo they seem a little on the low side, 200 or less for a 45 minute swim). Obviously money factors into it, so just trying to get an idea of what others think before I rush out and buy it on Monday morning.

Replies

• DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The reason I got my flex 2 was because it was on special for $80AUD ($60.46USD) and it was one of the only trackers in that store around that price range that would track my swimming as well as my steps. I use to be someone that would use free phone apps to record my walks, so I felt that fitbits were just overrated pedometers. I now know how wrong i was.

I don't go swimming that often but it's pretty handy when i do and i tend to push myself more. I'm happy with the purchase as it shows how much i move daily. If you can get it on special under $100 I'd say it's worth it. It's something that will help and encourage you to reach your goals.

I was only doing 3000 steps a day prior to having mine and i had no idea how bad i was, but once i saw how lazy i was it pushed me to become a more active person. I now at least aim for 7000steps on my rest days. I think it's played a large role in me losing almost 40lbs. Even if it only lasted a year it would still have been worth it, but i imagine this will last many years and when I'm down another 70lbs and my bad knees aren't holding all this weight if they have a special on a waterproof one with a heart rate monitor I will most likely get it and start working on being fitter and I might even do a difficult marathon.=)
  • tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit 2 and tried it out in my water aerobic class today. It worked beautifully and I wore it on my wrist. The only thing was, it only recorded 45 minutes of a 60 minute workout. That could be when I was in the deep end and doing leg work, perhaps. Not sure, but, will continue to monitor it.

It is very easy for me to go over 10,000 steps a day, but, I workout long and hard, besides just the pool, too. Still trying to figure it all out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not useful - as swimming can't be represented by what the Fitbit would see.

Steps intended to be calculated from walking to give a calorie burn will be all wrong on anything not step based - lifting, cycling, elliptical, stairs, swimming, rowing, ect.

Test your expected calorie burn on this - which is very similar to the database results that Fitbit is using anyway.
    Database goes by speed ranges though for calorie burn, so you could be on edge of range about to go into a higher calorie burn - so missing some calories.

This calculator will show you that happening. If it's not off by more than 10% - just use Fitbit's estimate.

http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Just a note: If you do wear it in water, make sure to dry it off thoroughly after you're done - this includes taking the tracker out of the band. I haven't wore it while swimming but I have wore it when showering a couple times and each time water still managed to get underneath the tracker.