Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
Anyone have one? How do you like it?

Replies

• Colorado1runner
    Colorado1runner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have the vivoactive hr, I absolutely love this watch!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a Varia Vision. He absolutely loves it. I played with his a little, it's really pretty impressive. I just kinda still feel like they are overpriced.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Never tried one. I read DCR's review and was put off.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-varia-vision-hud.html
  • amandaeve
    Options
    Interesting review. The Garmin website says it's compatible with thier watches. I can't imagine this being useful to the average person if they had an Edge too.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Never tried one. I read DCR's review and was put off.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-varia-vision-hud.html

I just read that, and I thought the review was pretty positive on the capability. It all fails on the price though, which is waaaay more than I would be willing to pay.

I also think the whole HUD form-factor is still in the dark ages - the number of people who want to look like a Borg reject (or be seen looking like one) is pretty limited, and certainly doesn't include me. There really needs to be a revolution in miniaturisation or relocation of the electronics - for example, split the electrics into the stems of the glasses and projection from the rims of the lenses somehow.

Mind you, I feel the same about bike helmet cameras, and there's plenty of people who are happy to ride around with a camera on top of their helmet, looking like a superannuated Tellytubby, so what do I know?
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    I just read that, and I thought the review was pretty positive on the capability. It all fails on the price though, which is waaaay more than I would be willing to pay.

I agree. I like the idea of a HUD (and preferably one I can use when running as well as cycling) but that is too expensive.

• ntnunk
    edited January 2017
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    I also think the whole HUD form-factor is still in the dark ages - the number of people who want to look like a Borg reject (or be seen looking like one) is pretty limited, and certainly doesn't include me. There really needs to be a revolution in miniaturisation or relocation of the electronics - for example, split the electrics into the stems of the glasses and projection from the rims of the lenses somehow.

Something more like these, perhaps?

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's much much better as a form-factor - they look like an over-elaborate set of shades rather than having a periscope strapped to the side of your head
  • amandaeve
    Options
    That Everysight looks pretty intriguing. I am looking for something to use in lieu of a bike computer, not in addition to, Everysight doesn't clarify which they are. Since the majority of my riding is in the dark or overcast weather, I would also need lens options. Looks promising enough, though I'm guessing the price point won't be any better. There is a big push for cycletourism now, arguing the average cyclist makes over $80k/yr, with 25% making over $100k, so there is little incentive for any company to sell low-priced cycling products. I can't imagine looking like a Borg would be much of a drawback, once one prominent pro wears one. Really, everything about cycling looks nerdy if you think about it.
  • ntnunk
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    That Everysight looks pretty intriguing. I am looking for something to use in lieu of a bike computer, not in addition to, Everysight doesn't clarify which they are. Since the majority of my riding is in the dark or overcast weather, I would also need lens options. Looks promising enough, though I'm guessing the price point won't be any better. There is a big push for cycletourism now, arguing the average cyclist makes over $80k/yr, with 25% making over $100k, so there is little incentive for any company to sell low-priced cycling products. I can't imagine looking like a Borg would be much of a drawback, once one prominent pro wears one. Really, everything about cycling looks nerdy if you think about it.

The Everysight glasses require a computer. They, like the varia, are essentially just a remote display. I *think* the only ones that might be stand-alone are the Recon Jets, but they suffer from the same "Periscope/Borg" affliction that the Varia system does. Or at least they did last time I looked.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    Yeah, I'm trying to find something that connects to a phone or a watch, as my other sensors do. I just don't have enough space on my handlebars for a gps bike computer.
  • ntnunk
    edited January 2017
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm trying to find something that connects to a phone or a watch, as my other sensors do. I just don't have enough space on my handlebars for a gps bike computer.

Depending on the watch, the Varia would connect to it. It's just a remote display. I know the Varia will connect to my Garmin Fenix, and should connect to the 920XT as well. Not sure about older Garmin or non-Garmin watches.

Also, the more I read, I am starting to think the Everysight glasses are either standalone or phone-powered, not driven by the cycling computer. Info still scarce about it though.