Confused about adjustment

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I checked this morning, as i hadn't compared for a while. Yesterday I did 16,500 steps, and I lost 62 calories between bed time last night and this morning, so not too bad. I'm set at sedentary on both mfp and fitbit.

@no44s4me I've got the Alta and am waiting on a new band too! I've got mine super glued together at the moment. Fitbit has solid hardware, but their accessories aren't very sturdy, my charger fell apart after a few months. Luckily their customer service is excellent, and they have no problem replacing stuff, probably because they are aware how quickly their stuff falls apart :neutral:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Alright, my adjustment is still going up and down today. I guess we'll see what I get later. Assuming that I burn 250 more calories before midnight, I will still lose 100+ in adjustment by then (I'm at 25k steps today).

Maybe I'll see if it changes anything tomorrow... but I'm not really hopeful, considering that Fitbit is telling me that I'm 'over budget' as well, even though I'm already 30 calories under what I've burned so far today and left a 150 calories buffer on top of that (I'm set to lose half a pound a week on Fitbit too)...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I've read and reread the stickies and I just don't get it. I'm feeling pretty unintelligent right now:(
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've read and reread the stickies and I just don't get it. I'm feeling pretty unintelligent right now:(

Haha same here! I have a general understanding of how the numbers work, which is just enough to get me by :lol:

@Francl27 I hope you continue to keep us updated :smile:

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am curious...do you know how fast you are walking when you do the 15,000-20,000 steps? I guess my question is...is it better to go faster & less steps, or slower & more steps? Or maybe you're both in better shape than me & can do fast & long, lol.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I am curious...do you know how fast you are walking when you do the 15,000-20,000 steps? I guess my question is...is it better to go faster & less steps, or slower & more steps? Or maybe you're both in better shape than me & can do fast & long, lol.

I don't think it makes a difference between faster/less steps or slower/more steps as you will still cover the same distance either way.

I don't know how many mph i walk, but i average 130-133 steps per minute.

• Francl27
    Options
    Lost exactly 100 calories last night again. Starting at -210 today on MFP and Fitbit is telling me that I can eat 1080 calories. Yikes. That's why I exercise LOL (and probably why I gained 5 pounds once I started being a bit more lazy).

Outside I'm not sure, it's a 3 mile route I think and I do it between 51 and 57 minutes, depending on how my legs and feet feel. On the treadmill I usually do 3.2 or 3.3 at 6 to 8% incline. But it comes down to about 7000 steps an hour or something, and I get a bunch of steps just doing things at home too.

You'll generally burn more calories walking faster because your heart rate goes higher though, but yeah, if you're going to cover the same distance anyway... I'm not really sure. But you'll be done faster if you go faster too, so there's that.

I started the elliptical yesterday again after a long hiatus and it's more steps and more calories in the same time though so I'll probably go back to it... plus it gives my feet and calves a break. I could only really last 25 minutes on it so I guess I have to build up my stamina for it again though, lol.

To be honest, I've been kinda stuck with the 'gosh I need to take a couple rest days but I'm too hungry and can't afford a 1400 calorie day' problem. I really don't know how sedentary people do it.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Francl27
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weird, I got a message when I tried to post this morning that my post had to be approved first...

Anyway, I walk around 3 to 3.3 mph but do probably 3-4k steps just at home doing stuff.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2017
    Options
    On a side note, the fitbit app confuses me. It says I have 85 calories left but that I am over budget on calories (which I'm sure will not be the case in 3 hours but it's just silly).

But I'm still seeing the constant adjustments after changing the fitbit diary settings and I'm still losing 100 calories overnight on MFP.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Steps are great for challenges but there is a big difference in my calorie adjustment on the quality of steps. Big difference between 10K steps puttering around the office and 10K hiking up a mountain.

I start in the hole when I start the day that goes away pretty quickly. I stopped wearing my Surge 24x7 so a drop overnight. I haven't had issues maintaining and I don't always feel the need to end the day with a buffer. If you are reaching your goal loss then I wouldn't over think it. Fitbit probably does best for people who maintain consistent activity rather active via time bound exercise.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Ok I got it, I think!!!

Based on yesterday....

2113 Calories burned
    1000 minus my deficit to lose 2 lbs a week
    1434 minus my Calories In
    321 calories over

So in order to hit my deficit of 1000 calories I needed to either eat 321 less calories (which would put me at 1113 calories) OR earn more exercising.

Now to figure out why it says I can eat more yet I'm over:)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    If you set your food plan to sedentary instead of personalized on Fitbit, it avoids the projected/drastic swings in calorie allotment on MFP.

Just FYI - that ONLY has a bearing in case where your device is NOT syncing regularly to your account for updated info to be provided to MFP.

That rate of burn - sedentary is barely above BMR (1.05), and personalized is based on historical averages - is used when there is no actual device data to use.

If your actually sync your device frequently during the day like with a phone - it doesn't matter.
  • heybales
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    On a side note, the fitbit app confuses me. It says I have 85 calories left but that I am over budget on calories (which I'm sure will not be the case in 3 hours but it's just silly).

But I'm still seeing the constant adjustments after changing the fitbit diary settings and I'm still losing 100 calories overnight on MFP.

Yes - that setting doesn't do what it was suggested it did - unless you only sync your device at night - then you'll just get one huge surprise and big adjustment since you got barely above sleep calorie burn rate all day long - then your Fitbit syncs and you are WAY over that number giving big adjustment.

That's what I get with by Zip - I don't sync to phone, avoiding the apps keeps me from having as many sync issues.
    But I have rather consistent day and meals - I don't have to worry about math and extra calories until after evening workout, and since dinner usually follows that - not hard to adjust.

And that setting won't change the fact of what is going to happen at night.

That chart you are looking at on Fitbit has been found by many to be about worthless - it is looking at the time right then and there - what have you burned, and what have you eaten - and are they within like 50 calories (or 85?).
    But rarely do people go through their day matched up like that.
    Shoot, prior to breakfast you'll be way under, and if a big breakfast, then way above.
    Many remove that dial gauge.

Actually - attempting to follow 2 roads to the same destination usually leads to aggravation (especially if a man with no map is trying to point out 1 road, anyway...) and confusion - hence the advice if the syncing is working, use MFP for eating goals, Fitbit for exercise goals.
  • heybales
    Options

Read only the parts that apply at first.

If you enjoy math and details, then get into that section. If you don't - skip it.

The basic premise is this.

MFP helps you with eating goal based on what it estimates you burn daily with no exercise - based on your selection of Activity Level. If you do exercise, then you log that since you just burned more, then your eating goal lets you eat more. If set to lose weight, you are eating less than you burn.

MFP syncing daily calorie burn from activity trackers allows it to correct it's estimate of daily burn, to something that is normally much more correct based on device actually seeing what you do, and perhaps logging things it doesn't see you do well.

MFP then corrects itself for your daily burn, creates a diet, and adjusts your eating goal.

Simple as that - the rest are details to improve these estimates all around.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Honestly I really don't understand what would be so hard about only adding extra calories from steps once you've passed the threshold at which you'll pretty much have to be over even if you're only burning resting calories the rest of the day.

And I'm really not sure that Fitbit is to blame for that... that could be done on MFP's side, as they already have an idea of what your TDEE is for your activity level.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If you set your food plan to sedentary instead of personalized on Fitbit, it avoids the projected/drastic swings in calorie allotment on MFP.

Just FYI - that ONLY has a bearing in case where your device is NOT syncing regularly to your account for updated info to be provided to MFP.

That rate of burn - sedentary is barely above BMR (1.05), and personalized is based on historical averages - is used when there is no actual device data to use.

If your actually sync your device frequently during the day like with a phone - it doesn't matter.

That's quite odd because that wasn't my experience. However, the other posters mentioned they are sedentary for long periods of time whereas I'm not but was when I first got it. Maybe that has something to do with it but I found it avoided drastic drops/spikes for me throughout the day. I just kept earning calories as the day went on and by the end of the day before bed maybe I lost a maximum of 10 calories. In any case, thanks for sharing the info! I should play around with both settings as it's been two years.
  • Francl27
    Options

That's quite odd because that wasn't my experience. However, the other posters mentioned they are sedentary for long periods of time whereas I'm not but was when I first got it. Maybe that has something to do with it but I found it avoided drastic drops/spikes for me throughout the day. I just kept earning calories as the day went on and by the end of the day before bed maybe I lost a maximum of 10 calories. In any case, thanks for sharing the info! I should play around with both settings as it's been two years.

For me, I'm the most active in the morning, but I keep getting steps throughout the day too - probably 500-1000 steps an hour (more if I go for another walk, obviously). I usually sit on the couch at 8.30pm but only lose maybe 20 calories those 2 hours... then I lose 100 calories overnight.

It's just kinda weird.
  • heybales
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly I really don't understand what would be so hard about only adding extra calories from steps once you've passed the threshold at which you'll pretty much have to be over even if you're only burning resting calories the rest of the day.

And I'm really not sure that Fitbit is to blame for that... that could be done on MFP's side, as they already have an idea of what your TDEE is for your activity level.

Well, that actually is what they do basically.

Your Fitbit calorie burn up to that point is used for the day up till then - your MFP rate of burn is used for rest of the day estimate.

If MFP estimated your daily burn is 2000 (whatever activity level makes that happen say), and Fitbit reported at noon (50% of day) your burn so far was 1400, here's what happens. Say you have 1 lb weekly loss selected, 500 cal deficit - so eating goal starts at 1500.

Fitbit 1400 + (day estimate 2000 x 50% left = 1000) = 2400 estimated daily and called Fitbit figure though.

2400 - 2000 MFP day estimated = 400 cal adjustment.

Eating goal 1500 + 400 = 1900 new eating goal. From 2400 estimated to burn. 500 deficit still.

Now - if that 1000 estimate for rest of the 12 hrs of the day exactly matches your activity level - that's what you'll get at end of day.
    And that likely is not going to happen.

So the math is done each time Fitbit sends over new daily calorie burn total.

You sit all afternoon at work and drive home at 6 pm for another sync then.

Fitbit 1700 + (day 2000 x 25% left = 500) = 2200

2200 - 2000 MFP estimated = 200 cal adjustment.

eating goal 1500 + 200 = 1700 goal.

Ect, ect.

MFP really has no idea of your schedule or eventual schedule - so the burn rate is constant, even though it's obvious 6-8 hrs of the day is BMR level burn as sleeping, and rest is some amount even above selected activity level.
  • heybales
    Options

If you actually sync your device frequently during the day like with a phone - it doesn't matter.

Ya, that setting merely effects the stats it's giving to MFP, it doesn't effect the math that MFP is doing with the stats.

If you never synced your device in a day or perhaps no data connection to get it from your phone to your account - your Fitbit will be supplying to MFP burn figures based on what it knows at least must be occurring.

Sedentary is barely above BMR sleep level burn - so for many around 80 cal / hr.

You will always get negative adjustments from MFP as the day goes on - because Sedentary on MFP is 1.25 x BMR, Fitbit is reporting barely above BMR, so you'll get adjustments that ends up being negative enough to end up with what MFP would never have given.

Personalized is historical based burn rate - so who knows - could be close to MFP estimated burn rate, could be way off.

This would likely be equal or above what MFP is estimating for the day, so indeed there is chance you have very minor adjustments if your history happens to match your MFP selected activity level.

And if that's the case with history - decent chance your daily activity could also almost match, and while at some point in evening you could be say 150 over adjustment, and then go to bed, the next day would be corrected to say that 10 cal difference.

Some people truly are average and happen to match the levels given.