Anyone think that the Century+ Cycling name is a bit off-putting...

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
Just wondering folks - this group seems to be stagnating a bit, and I've a slight feeling that perhaps one problem is that the whole "Century+ Cycling" name is putting some "newbies" off a little - after all, when you've just bought your new bike, and done 20km, and you're knackered, and you're harris is sore, the last thing you want to contemplate joining is a bunch of people who go out and ride 5-8 times that distance or more...

Plus, I think that we're more about Cycling Challenges in here than advice on One-Day Sportifs and such...

I'd welcome opinions though...

(I may also open a similar discussion thread over on Faecesbook in the "CycLeagues" group... for those of you who do Facebook, but haven't joined it yet, where the funk have you been ??? Get yer harris over there and signup..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118072208643394/

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of the name. I don't think it's particularly descriptive of the group. I'd have to give some thought to other ideas for name but I'd for sure and certain support changing it.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I kind of like it. There are lots of people here who helped me ride my first century. Now I get help with motivation, ideas, experience with equipment and more. That seems to fit Century+ cycling.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    the thing is, to me a "Century" ride means pretty much nothing other than you rode 100km/miles, something I was doing regularly (as in weekly) by the age of 14...

I'm aware that lots of organised rides in 'merica are billed as Centurys, but in the historic strongholds of cycling, the phrase "Rode a Century" means pretty much nothing unless you're in the UK and rode it as a Time-Trial, and then, only if you finished in under "evens" (4 hours)...

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I joined it was the challenges that interested me. So a change of name to reflect this may be a good idea.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Think you are right - I participate in the monthly cycling challenges (in the challenges forum) and it attracts a really wide spectrum from experienced long distance riders to people just starting out.
    It hopefully encourages / inspires the newer people to simply do the best they can without feeling intimidated.

It's also a good forum to ask the more basic questions which "newbies" may have.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am new to MFP and trawling for a cycle group to join. I had a definite hesitation about the name. Do you only want ppl who cycle over 100miles a ride! ? The name is not inviting, that's a fact!

There dont seem to be many groups for cyclists, though. If you search groups for cycling you get a lot or "moribund" ones and stuff about carb cycling

This could be useful group in here - Like I just learnt lots from reading your cold weather clothes thread. General cycling stuff interests me more than sportives / club membership etc

If you think this is stagnating maybe you need to think about posting links to this in other threads that are currently active, to point people in your direction?

• TheBigYin
    Options
    thanks for the input Suze... I think it might be time for a name change...

Watch out for an announcement real soon now folks...

• FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ooh, now there's an idea. With all the n+1 enthusiasts here (me, I can just about afford to buy an "n" please Carol), and all the carbs we need to eat to power our cycling efforts you could compete with the other groups and appeal to a wider group by calling yours "Forget about Carb cycling and carb up with Bike Cycling" ^_^