Accidentally saw a "candid" photo from today...eeeek!

Options
1fit_mamma
1fit_mamma Posts: 101 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Ladies I need some perspective! So my husband took a few random photo's of me and my daughter today, I wasn't posing or anything and wow...it wasn't good. I normally quickly delete photo's like this before I've really analyzed, but for some reason today I zoomed in (what was I thinking!?) on a few, and really is just the fact that there were a few and all of them weren't great :neutral: that took away any illusions I had of "not being that bad". Mama's not sure if anyone is as far away from their goal as me (44lb's), but suddenly I feel like I'm still soooo far away :( I'm embarrassed that I walk around all day like this, but 44lb off is awhile away and I'm heading to the beach for a week soon and it horrifies me that I will look like this. Any tips on how to turn this around? I have lost 12lb since 6th Jan and was really proud of that, but struggling to see the positives now which is so unlike me! Any advice, insights or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Replies

• kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing. 12lbs in that time is fantastic. I don't like photos of me but people notice the weight loss. It helps me keep at it. I am still 28lbs from pre baby and about 80 from a good weight.
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Consider them your before pictures and keep moving. You are doing great to have lost 12 pounds in the last month! Bravo!! I know exactly where you are coming from. My husband took a few pictures when I was sitting next to the tub giving my son a bath and I was NOT ok with what I saw. It bothered me a bit for a few days and it now fuels me to move forward. I may have looked like that then, but I am working towards improving and that is all you can do.
    Keep your head up! You can do this. Better to be on a journey to improve, than to give up.

And also, don't delete photos of you and your daughter because of how you look. You need all the memories! :) We are usually over critical of ourselves anyway.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You've lost 12 pounds in a month. You don't need to turn anything around! If anything, you're losing weight faster than you "should" - but if it's just the first month, that's not something to worry about because some of it was probably water. Just keep doing what you're doing.

I started MFP at the end of July last year with 50 pounds to lose (mostly baby weight; some husband weight). I'm down 35 pounds since then. We can't expect the weight to come off faster than it went on - but it WILL come off. Just keep at it!
  • mvmccauley
    mvmccauley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to jump in and say you're doing fantastic! Keep up the good work, mama!

I saw pictures of myself from my son's baptism this weekend and almost cried, I can totally relate to the way you're feeling. I gained 40 lbs during pregnancy, I've lost about 20 in the past three months, but I'm still feeling really frustrated with the way I look. I'm wearing some of my old "fat" clothes from a few years ago (I lost about 30 lbs using MFP way back when) and I thought I was looking okay... well, those pictures really got me motivated to lose the rest of the weight (but slowly, focusing on nutrition so I can continue to breastfeed successfully).

You're not alone!!
  • rsmall88
    rsmall88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went on a beach holiday 2 weeks after giving birth to my second son. I too was horrified of getting in a bathing suit while still carrying the extra weight.
    But I decided that I wasn't going to let my own insecurities stop me from having an amazing holiday with my family and I wasn't going to miss out on a thing.
    I know it's hard but when you think something negative about yourself then tell yourself to stop and push the thoughts away.
    You are doing a great job and the weightloss will come, it's all a process.
    I rocked a bikini 2 weeks post partum, stretch marks and cellulite for all to see and everyone commented on how happy and healthy I looked. There is a lot to say for a good mental attitude!
    You can do it!!
    X
  • 1fit_mamma
    Options
    Consider them your before pictures and keep moving. You are doing great to have lost 12 pounds in the last month! Bravo!! I know exactly where you are coming from. My husband took a few pictures when I was sitting next to the tub giving my son a bath and I was NOT ok with what I saw. It bothered me a bit for a few days and it now fuels me to move forward. I may have looked like that then, but I am working towards improving and that is all you can do.
    Keep your head up! You can do this. Better to be on a journey to improve, than to give up.

And also, don't delete photos of you and your daughter because of how you look. You need all the memories! :) We are usually over critical of ourselves anyway.

Such a good point about not deleting @Shutterbuggg, I was so panicked I didn't even think about it from a memories point of view. My husband pointed out that I'm barely in any of my daughters photo's, how sad is that! Will have to change that, thanks for an important reminder ☺

• 1fit_mamma
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Such supportive replies, and so glad to hear I'm not the only one who had these freak-outs. It just threw me, as I'm normally pretty realistic and don't let it get me down, I'm blaming hormones haha. So update, took your wonderful advice and just sucked it up (literally and metaphorically!) on the beach. Wore a really slimming one piece and just enjoyed chasing after my daughter who had the time of my life. Have continued to lose weight so haven't let it derail me
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    1fit_mamma wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Such supportive replies, and so glad to hear I'm not the only one who had these freak-outs. It just threw me, as I'm normally pretty realistic and don't let it get me down, I'm blaming hormones haha. So update, took your wonderful advice and just sucked it up (literally and metaphorically!) on the beach. Wore a really slimming one piece and just enjoyed chasing after my daughter who had the time of my life. Have continued to lose weight so haven't let it derail me

What an amazing update! And while it's not nice, it's reassuring so many of us suffer from this. You've spurred me on to try and lose a few more pounds before next family gathering in a few weeks. Thank you!x
  • marianlyn
    marianlyn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to enjoy your vacation! I can remember my mom never wanting to wear a bathing suit in public (and by that, I mean she would wear regular clothes, not go nude) and it certainly stuck with me. I don't want to do that with my kid, but it ain't easy!