Snack ideas - OTHER than just raw veg/fruit?

Options
FluffyRhino
FluffyRhino Posts: 21 Member
What are your go-to nutritious snack ideas?

I'm just trying to stay within my daily recommended goals, preferably on the low sodium side since I have anxiety-induced high blood pressure.

So - something simple, low-prep, low-sugar, low-sodium and low on the calorie scale? (ie : under 200 calories a serving lol not looking for "free" foods)

Here's what I've been doing.. but it's not particularly "nutritious". I haven't had any problem with cravings or staying within my daily goals, I'm just looking for new ideas.

a single serving of pretzels
.5 oz PB
.5oz generic Nutella
(sometimes I have the three together as an indulgent dessert when my counts are low for the day and I need a bit of help to reach a min.)

Cucumbers diced up and mixed with apple cider vinegar - "quick pickles"

Piece of raw fruit

homemade flour tortillas with a little cheese or hazelnut spread (listed above) - I make my flour tortillas really small for snacking, so they're less than 50 calories and 7 carbs each.

A single serving of cheez-its, sometimes with PB if I need to reach a min

A graham cracker or two.

See what I mean? Lots of carbs and not much else. But raw vegetables are completely unappealing to me in mid-winter when I'm covered up with blankets and shivering.

Replies

• Breenacole
    Breenacole Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to cottage cheese or yogurt.

With my cottage cheese, I mix it with applesauce, but apparently that's weird because almost everyone I know gags at the thought.

My ex mil will put fruit in her yogurt and cottage cheese (She pretty much had an endless supply of peaches)

With my yogurt I put in some honey and some type of nuts or granola.

And in days when I want something 'bad' to snack on... dark chocolate is my weakness!
  • lauraey5
    lauraey5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn! Only 20 calories per 1 cup and has fiber.
  • bothaalicia100
    bothaalicia100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm eating boiled eggs, small home made meatballs , nuts eg.
    My snacks are proteins mostly
  • HikeItBikeItLikeIt
    HikeItBikeItLikeIt Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I make hummus to dip my veggies in. High protein and so yummy! I love unsalted pistachios too.
  • dparisi82
    dparisi82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1 cut of mini peppers with 1-2 TBSPs of Hummus
    1 serving of whole grain crackers and 1 laughing cow cheese
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    guacamole and pita chips, boiled egg, almonds, fresh pineapple or clementine, if I am really feeling hungry I will have a sixstar lean protein shake only 70 cal.
  • lexik09
    lexik09 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, Mandarin oranges, yogurts, nuts, string cheese, sugar free pudding, popcorn, boiled eggs, protein shakes, fruit smoothies... Just to name a few. I'm a hard core snacker and sometimes prefer to snack all day instead of eating a meal.
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello!! only 10 cal and filling
  • Allie2060
    Allie2060 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are good.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think lexik covered everything that are my go-to's. If you have a Kroger near you, they carry a line of yogurt/protein shakes called Carbmaster. The yogurts are 60 calories and 4 carbs each with a lot of flavors to choose from. I haven't tried the shakes though. I usually by the EAS Advantage Carb Control shakes. Strawberry is my favorite, but if I'm craving something chocolate the dark chocolate flavor is great too. Also pepperoni slices in the microwave for 1 min will crisp up and you can eat them like chips. Nice low carb alternative to regular chips or crackers. Cucumber slices with guacamole are good too!
  • kmelend1
    kmelend1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews..) mixed with just a little bit of cranberries...they are great when I have cravings. I also like to mix a bit of all-natural applesauce with cottage cheese. Apple slices with peanut butter is another easy go-to for me.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wasa lite rye crackers with almond butter or laughing cow lite swiss wedge
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo a lot of what's here -- string cheese; almonds; hard boiled eggs; greek yogurt, single serve hummus with pretzels; frozen turkey meatballs (3 for 160 cals!). I'm a snacky person too, so having lots of options is necessary! :D
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are your go-to nutritious snack ideas?

I'm just trying to stay within my daily recommended goals, preferably on the low sodium side since I have anxiety-induced high blood pressure.

So - something simple, low-prep, low-sugar, low-sodium and low on the calorie scale? (ie : under 200 calories a serving lol not looking for "free" foods)

Here's what I've been doing.. but it's not particularly "nutritious". I haven't had any problem with cravings or staying within my daily goals, I'm just looking for new ideas.

a single serving of pretzels
    .5 oz PB
    .5oz generic Nutella
    (sometimes I have the three together as an indulgent dessert when my counts are low for the day and I need a bit of help to reach a min.)

Cucumbers diced up and mixed with apple cider vinegar - "quick pickles"

Piece of raw fruit

homemade flour tortillas with a little cheese or hazelnut spread (listed above) - I make my flour tortillas really small for snacking, so they're less than 50 calories and 7 carbs each.

A single serving of cheez-its, sometimes with PB if I need to reach a min

A graham cracker or two.

See what I mean? Lots of carbs and not much else. But raw vegetables are completely unappealing to me in mid-winter when I'm covered up with blankets and shivering.

Low carb ideas
    - hard boiled eggs
    - celery with cream cheese inside
    - Almonds/Other Nuts
    - Lowfat cheese stick
    - Cheddar cheese with apple slices
    - Peanut butter with apple slices
    - Greek yogurt
    - Kale chips
    - Olives
    - Rolled up deli meat around pickles with cream cheese
    - Roasted chickpeas