Garmin run watch, Fitbit and MFP?

Options
jenring3
jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
I was trying to find a Garmin support forum, then realized if anyone would have Garmins connected to MFP it would be the runners anyway ;) I can NOT seem to get my Forerunner 220 to sync my runs with MFP. I have a separate Fitbit for daily activity which syncs fine, but I don't run with it. I'm assuming I can use both devices with MFP. Does anyone else have two devices?

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    MFP pulls my runs from Garmin Connect, not directly from the watch. The app shows me steps (also recorded by the Garmin 630), but I pretty much ignore them. Don't know how MFP deals with using Fitbit for steps and Garmin for running.
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with @MobyCarp My Forerunner 15 pulls from Garmin Connect. Go to "Apps" and install the Garmin Connect app and you should be set.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate...your runs will not appear on MFP until you have synced your watch with Garmin Connect. Once in a while when I am having issues, I'll go to Garmin Connect website, then go to Calories In/Out and then click on "Sync now". This forces Connect to get your calorie data from MFP. It also seems to re-jigger whatever got messed up in the connection. I almost never have issue, but this worked the 2 times I did have issues.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You can sync both, and you can allow both to transfer specifically tracked activities (such as a run, cycling, hike, etc.).

However, you can only have 1 set at a time for a step tracker account (Fitbit or Garmin). This is the only account that will affect calorie burn adjustments for non-activity steps. Using the Fitbit for non-activity steps along with the Forerunner for activity is fine, but you need to make sure that you are starting and stopping your run on the Forerunner in order to create a separate activity. It won't sync the steps unless you do this because your Fitbit is (presumably) the one and only step tracker linked (and you can only have 1 account linked for this... even if you had multiple devices on that account such as 2 Fitbits under the same Fitbit account).

I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well... let me know if that doesn't make any sense and I'll try again.