Introduce yourself

Options
Gia here, I'm 37 and a mother of two.
I've got aggressive PCOs, which means I need to go in for surgery at least twice a year. In 2014 I went under the knives about five times. It's really hard when one is sick especially a mother and have no family support. Past few years were not just deteriorating but also years when I completely lost the urge of looking beautiful, actually had no time to think except for my illness, studies, kids, sticking to the routine and obviously food is the only comfort when one is depressed.
I've gained weight, lost my confidence and also motivation.
Gathering myself again and starting this group so I and you could get motivation from others. We need positivity here. I'm hoping to hear it.

Replies

• sandymfalk
    sandymfalk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sandra. I'm 29 and I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011. I've always struggled with weight, but recently decided to go off of my birth control and gained nearly 15 pounds in a matter of about a week. Not fun. I'm not TTC right now, but would like to get back to a healthy lifestyle so I have good chances when I am ready. I recently decided to visit a weight loss clinic to help since I'm now 40 pounds from where I started and not doing very well on my own. I visited a dietician for the first time and her top suggestion was to begin a food diary and calorie count again. I've used this method in the past with no real success. I am focusing on my carbohydrate intakes and I'm hoping My Fitness Pal will help me keep on track.

I know what it's like to get complacent and then have to start all over again. I am so happy to see there's a group of women out there who are going through the same thing and would like to encourage each other.
  • eversmallory
    eversmallory Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Mallory! My husband and I are currently TTC. I was diagnosed with PCOS on August 23rd. Since then I started on a VERY strict diet and I am already down 12 pounds! Looking for cysters who are TTC as well :)
  • alyssathimmesch162
    Options
    Hey! I'm Alyssa I was diagnosed with Pcos a few months ago. Right now I'm trying to get off the sugar high and try to eat as paleo as possible... My up and down weight is driving me nuts along with my digestion issues from gluten..enough said. Any tips on eating and Pcos I would love!
  • Peach_Sky
    Peach_Sky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Rachel, I was diagnosed at 20 years old, I'm currently 31 and have been overweight since I was a teenager. I did however loose weight a few years back, 95 lbs over a 2.5 year period. Then I got pregnant with my son, first kid. He's 17 months now and I'm currently back over 200lbs again...sigh. so I'm trying again to lose weight. I would like to try again, but need to get healthy first
  • bjpressley85
    bjpressley85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Brittney. I was diagnosed with PCOS just last month. I am a formally dancer, and always eat healthy and try to work out a few times a week. I couldn't understand how the last 5+ years or so, it didn't matter what I did, I could not lose weight and would consistently gain weight. I talked to my Dr.'s about it, and they all thought I was just making excuses. I stopped having periods while on BC about 5 years ago, and was told it was just a side effect of the pill. Last year I went off BC and never had a period. At first my OBGYN said that he thought I was per-medapausal at 31, GREAT. We did hormone tests and that's when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I almost cried in the Dr.'s office because I knew I was not crazy. I have been telling them for years that something was not right and no one would believe me. He finally believed that I do indeed eat right and work out, and still struggle. So he put me on a prescription weight lose drug. I am doing everything the same as before, and am down 5lbs in two weeks. I am going to amp up my workout schedule after the holidays. For the first time in years, I actually have confidence in losing weight and getting my life under control. Has anyone else tried a prescription weight lose drug (not over the counter gimmicks)?
  • mandarbuddha
    mandarbuddha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! So glad i found this group. It's just nice to be reminded that i'm not the only one struggling with the weight for hormonal reasons. I lost 60 lbs over 2012-13, but 18 months of not taking care of my PCOS and i started gaining--add stress and holidays and i'm back to my heaviest. But now i know what works and what doesn't--and i DID see a HUGE improvement with my symptoms after losing. Nearly regular periods even!
    I'm ready to be healthy!! Let's make this happen, ladies!!
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I need to have more support of people with PCOS. I need to stay focused on low GI eating. I just get so frustrated that I can't eat like "normal" people. I'm 5'4' and currently 224 pounds (down 6 since November). I am on a micropill birth control, spironolactone (for hair/skin), metformin 2000 mg, phentermine, and Topamax. In the past I have also tried inositol (d-chiro and myo), NAC, and a variety of other supplements. I have paid thousands for laser hair removal and have a referral for a dermatologist now.

I KNOW that diet is the key. My recent GYN put me on the phentermine and Topamax in November to help me "swim with the current" instead of "against the current". I NEED to log into MFP each day. Luckily, I'm dating a man who is very supportive and he himself lost 100 lbs through MFP and he is challenging and encouraging me to be a healthier person. I'm going through some health issues right now and losing weight is critical in getting better.

I'm considering trying an elimination diet to see if gluten and dairy have an impact on my weight. Several of the females on my mothers side who have PCOS have gone gluten free with good experiences (my mother and sister included). Gluten isn't so hard to give up. Milk, yogurt, and ice cream I could do without. But CHEESE. Oh I love cheese. I've already started reducing my dairy intake.

Has anyone else on here tried eliminating gluten and dairy?
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Brittney. I was diagnosed with PCOS just last month. I am a formally dancer, and always eat healthy and try to work out a few times a week. I couldn't understand how the last 5+ years or so, it didn't matter what I did, I could not lose weight and would consistently gain weight. I talked to my Dr.'s about it, and they all thought I was just making excuses. I stopped having periods while on BC about 5 years ago, and was told it was just a side effect of the pill. Last year I went off BC and never had a period. At first my OBGYN said that he thought I was per-medapausal at 31, GREAT. We did hormone tests and that's when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I almost cried in the Dr.'s office because I knew I was not crazy. I have been telling them for years that something was not right and no one would believe me. He finally believed that I do indeed eat right and work out, and still struggle. So he put me on a prescription weight lose drug. I am doing everything the same as before, and am down 5lbs in two weeks. I am going to amp up my workout schedule after the holidays. For the first time in years, I actually have confidence in losing weight and getting my life under control. Has anyone else tried a prescription weight lose drug (not over the counter gimmicks)?

Hi Brittney, I'm Allison. I'm currently on phentermine and Topamax. Down 6 pounds since November (gained 2 over Christmas). My doctor wanted me to increase my phentermine, but unfortunately I have OCD and it made my OCD symptoms WAY worse. But I'm back to the original dose he put me on.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi Allison,

I'm geneva. I'm on my second round of Phentermine and Topomax. I took a six-month break. Even between I lost another 5 lbs but down inches. I lost 25 lbs altogether since May 2016 when I started. Going to see if this will help speed up my weight loss since I only want to lose another 20 lbs. I follow a low carb diet since I am a type 2 diabetic and it helps me not gain weight but i think being T2D is what keeps from losing as fast as others. Oh also, I have PCOS but since having my second baby two years ago, I decided to get sterilized. My periods actually got heavier and more painful since having my tubes tied but I am very regular. It took me a very long time to get pregnant and only after I lost weight. The first time I had lost 50 lbs and the second time I had lost 15 lbs. Unfortunately, after my first son I developed Type 2 so my second pregnancy was very high risk so no more babies for me.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I do know several people who gluten allergies are tied to infertility. Doing elimination won't hurt anyone (although its tough, I love cheese too). Have you tried doing LC? Its the only thing that helped me NOT gain weight and keep m my hormones in check. Good luck to you and if you want to add me as a friend, you most certainly can. :)
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Originally diagnosed over 10 years ago it's taken me this long to believe my diet could actually be an issue as I've never eaten unhealthily and have always been fairly active (even recently I'm not too bad...considering I have a desk job I often hit my goal of 10000 steps a day - unfortunately I seem to have some issues with my pedometer in my watch and this app not agreeing with each other - but I'm glad it's not showing all of the steps rather than showing more).

Recently I've decided to get serious about losing weight and about 3 weeks ago started really focussing on my calorie intake. then about a week ago, once I was finding the calorie intake okay, I've gone low GI too (on a friend's recommendation) - once I get used to low GI (finding it really difficult as I don't enjoy wholemeal pasta or rice) I'm going to try lactose free (should be good for my skin and my head as I have a history of eczema and migraines).

I'm really struggling with motivation/getting really discouraged as I do (or did) a lot of social eating (nothing unhealthy just meals as groups etc with shared cooking) and being low GI is making this really difficult as I'm missing out on the social time because I can't share the food (this time of year there's casseroles for example (potato being the culprit) I can't exactly make people follow this with me (although my h2b and some of my closest friends are being super accommodating)).

Not currently TTC but this is my motivation in the long term - as both myself and h2b would love kids...I think my issue is that it's such a distant goal. 212 lbs at last weigh in and 5'8" - I know I should lose weight but I'm not particularly unhappy with my body, so the idea of losing weight doesn't motivate me in itself (at least not as much as the satisfaction I'd get from a cheese toastie made with white bread atm).

anyone else finding low GI particularly difficult? any tips for finding motivation?
  • memoirsofamber
    memoirsofamber Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Amber. I was diagnosed with PCOS in July. I started my weight loss journey at 221. I did a weight loss program for 6 months and lost 21 pounds. I felt like that program wasn't really working for me anymore after stalling at 200 for weeks. I did my research on PCOS diets and decided to rework my plan.

I would like to add friends here on MFP that are on the same journey to share recipes, exercise ideas, and inspiration with.

• nohaalomari
    nohaalomari Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am Noha, and I have PCOS. Diagnosed in 2009. I worked very hard to maintain my weight and fight infertility, but after I gave birth to my son in 2011, I gained back most of the weight I lost. I am starting over and I need all the support i can get, hopefully I will find that with you galz.
  • droche2806
    droche2806 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dana. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago and didn't know anything about it and Dr.s were no help. I have a miracle baby who is almost 3 now and I call him my miracle because I only ever ovulated maybe once or twice a year. Since october 2016 I have been trying to lose weight with a little success (14 pounds in 6 months). Recently I have learned soooo much more about it by doing a 30 day PCOS diet challenged that not only helped me learn how I should be eating, but why I should be eating that way and what good and bad food does for me and my PCOS! I did that in may/June and since then have gotten away from most the bad for me foods and have lost 17 pounds and counting since the end of May and have started to have regular monthly cycles. All of that 17 pounds has been from eating clean and healthy and I would like to find an exercise routine that works for me as well! I'm excited to be part of this group for the support and motivation from others like me.