Sausage Balls

Options
One of my favorite party snack foods is sausage balls. I used to make them with bisquick, sausage, cheddar, and cream cheese. Today I tried to make them the exact same way except I used almond flour instead of bisquick. They taste overly cheesy, and I'm assuming it's because the almond flour needs something added to it. Can anyone help me get my recipe to a LCHF version? I would love to be able to keep some in the feeezer for quick snacks or easy lunches!

1c almond flour (previously 1 1/4c bisquick)
1 lb sausage
4oz cheddar, grated
4oz cream cheese

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I personally would add bacon in them and cook the sausage balls in the bacon fat ...LCHF :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Ground up pork rinds perhaps in place of the almond flour?

I have a friend who has a sister who is gluten free and makes them for her with just sausage/cheese/a little finely chopped onion and swears they turn out perfect. I've not seen or tasted them like that but sausage balls rule! I'll be following!
  • jellybeanshrinks
    jellybeanshrinks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't like pork rinds (but I wish I did). It seems like everything would fall apart without a binder of some sort.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I have made them without any binder and they were fine
  • kyladyrider
    kyladyrider Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Did you use more than one cup of almond flour?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Egg. I make Italian 'polpette' with mince, parsley, parmesan cheese, seasonings and egg. take an amount equal size to a golfball, and roll into a ball....squash until they look like miniature thick burgers; shallow-fry, turning once. Keep in a warm oven, until ready. Serve with a green salad and home-made vinaigrette dressing.
    You can add paprika, garlic, finely chopped mushrooms to the meat mix for different flavourings and texture....