Frustrating Hormonal Storm and Cascading System Failure - From taking BCP?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
http://www.amymyersmd.com/2015/12/birth-control-pills/

I was researching to see if I could find any record anywhere of what expected hormone levels would be with continuous BCP...

I ran across this article. And it has me SOOOO frustrated now. Nearly every issue I've suffered in the last 4-5 years can be tracked back to being caused/triggered by or worsened by me taking BCP, then continuous BCP, since I have prolapse, etc.

Snapshot of the data:

What Are the Problems with Birth Control Pills?
The main problem with birth control pills is that instead of estrogen they contain synthetic hormones, such as ethinyl estridiol and norethindrone, which are not recognized or broken down by the body in the same way natural estrogen is. Birth control pills also disrupt your natural hormone levels, since they keep estrogen levels artificially high, which has a ripple effect across your endocrine system. These factors can cause a whole myriad of health issues.

1. Increased Risk of Cancer
Synthetic estrogens like the ones found in birth control pills can increase your risk of developing certain types of cancers, such breast, uterine, and cervical cancer. Studies show that women who take birth control pills, and even women who have recently stopped taking the pill, have a 20 to 30% higher risk of developing breast cancer than women who have never used the pill.

2. Candida Overgrowth
As you may already know, most of us are already carrying around Candida in our digestive tract. When we’re in good health – and following a healthy diet and lifestyle – the yeast doesn’t cause any problems; however, when our internal ecosystem becomes imbalanced, it can lead to an overgrowth of Candida and all of the unpleasant symptoms that come along with it. Birth control pills disrupt our internal balance by causing something called estrogen dominance – meaning too much estrogen in the body. In one study, researchers found that the use of birth control pills can double the risk of developing a Candida overgrowth.

If you are interested in learning more about how to overcome Candida overgrowth, download my FREE Candida Control Bundle! You’ll receive a collection of free resources that will launch you in the direction of a healthy gut.

3. Increase in Sex-Binding Hormones
The synthetic hormones in birth control pills increase thyroid and sex hormone binding globulin, mimicking pregnancy. This decreases the amount of testosterone and thyroid hormone available in your blood, which can leave you hypothyroid, constipated, depressed, overweight, foggy, and with an almost non-existent sex drive.

4. Liver Toxicity
Birth control pills are processed through your liver and go through what is called the first-pass effect or first-pass metabolism. During this process, the pills are metabolized by the liver and the concentration of the medication is greatly reduced before it reaches the bloodstream. This process can significantly tax the liver leading to increased inflammation, tumors of the liver, and a decreased ability to properly detox.

The metabolism of birth control pills by the liver also requires extra amounts of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, and zinc. If you’re not getting extra amounts of these nutrients, it can lead to nutritional deficiencies that present as weight gain, fluid retention, depression, and changes in mood.

5. Cardiovascular Risk
Studies have found that birth control pills (specifically combination pills that contain both synthetic estrogen and progesterone) increase blood pressure, raising your risk for heart attacks, blood clots, and strokes.

So, I could have caused or triggered candida, worsened my hormonal and thyroid conditions, and created the liver issues I wasn't aware I had. It also explains why I started feeling better when I added in zinc, finally, as I'd already been taking the rest... Bah...

Anyone else feel so completely overwhelmed trying to understand ANYTHING about the female hormone systems?

And no, I still didn't find any recommendations for "normal" hormonal levels on continuous BCP.

Replies

• stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't forget increase insulin resistance. That's my personal favorite.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Cellular energy resistance. My body will close shop and store everything when it's any sort of caloric excess. Carbs? ZZZ. Ketones. Zzz. Too much protein. ZZzzZZzz....

But lately, my insulin levels don't seem to be causing chaos with my estrogen level, that I can tell. I was more wondering as far as serum lab screens...

PCOS is Chaos incarnate, I guess...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow Knit, this does sound frustrating.... Are there any alternatives? Even bio-identical hormones? Would anything bring some relief for symptoms, but wreck less havoc?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't know how one could use bio-identical hormones for pregnancy prevention... Because that is still a big factor for me... Until that is no longer on the table as possible, I will endure, and fight back against the tide. But birth control is a total mess, and always has been...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't know how one could use bio-identical hormones for pregnancy prevention... Because that is still a big factor for me... Until that is no longer on the table as possible, I will endure, and fight back against the tide. But birth control is a total mess, and always has been...

Oh, there's that. I went old school with that: diaphragm and later a cervical cap. I did consider a copper IUD, but never did that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have prolapse, pelvic organ prolapse, so a lot of those old school physical methods aren't an option for me. Plus, my guy has a history of being uber fertile, so I aim for the highest efficacy method! :) With the prolapse, having fewer periods means I don't have to go without my support device, so the least I can have is best... Hence the continuous pills... Less complicated...since surgery would require the scary surgery they do lawsuits over...

Did I mention I'm a mess on wheels?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have prolapse, pelvic organ prolapse, so a lot of those old school physical methods aren't an option for me. Plus, my guy has a history of being uber fertile, so I aim for the highest efficacy method! :) With the prolapse, having fewer periods means I don't have to go without my support device, so the least I can have is best... Hence the continuous pills... Less complicated...since surgery would require the scary surgery they do lawsuits over...

Did I mention I'm a mess on wheels?

Gah, I missed the prolapse. Goodness I hope you find relief!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks! I will take anything I can get at this point. :)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they just prescribe BCP like nothing, at least where I am. When I went in it was the first option, there was no talk about potential risks and other options. I have a copper IUD now, it's great that I can see what my body is naturally supposed to do, but the symptoms I have now are frustrating to deal with...tempted to try to mirena IUD but I've also heard a lot of bad things there. There's no winningggggggg!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hey, if you have the copper IUD, make sure you're taking zinc to compensate. Those two need to be in a yin yang relationship for your health... And even though the amounts getting into your blood from it are small, you still likely need extra zinc if you're not eating higher zinc foods...
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you have the copper IUD, make sure you're taking zinc to compensate. Those two need to be in a yin yang relationship for your health... And even though the amounts getting into your blood from it are small, you still likely need extra zinc if you're not eating higher zinc foods...

I had no idea! I actually just found out my zinc is low at the Dr appointment I went to...he took one look at the white marks on my nails and told me that's what it was...I had no idea. I'm just waiting for my supplement order to come in, I got a multi that has a lot of Zn in it. I specifically looked at that to be sure.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I like the Zinc Chelate I picked up at Sprouts. I seem to tolerate it well. Start slowly on zinc and increase it to tolerance. It's CRUCIAL for thyroid (and also hormone) function! I've been doubling up for a few days to fight off exposure to bugs at work... And I got rid of the white spots I noticed in an instagram pic I posted, too. And that was with a blood test I took 4 days after starting the pills that showed me in the low end of acceptable range...

Selenium is important for thyroid function, too... I think I read, too, that zinc plays in to the serotonin conversion and uptake stuff. With issues there, you want to be sure you have enough stomach acid, bile, good liver function, and good digestion - which all play into your ability to breakdown and absorb iron, too. So you might need a digestive aid. But I would definitely make sure you're taking a probiotic. Improving your gut will improve your ability to make and use your own neurotransmitters!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry you've been dealing with all this, @KnitOrMiss. :( How have things been since your OP?

For pregnancy prevention, have you ever read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and/or tried FAM? It's effectiveness rate is quite high when followed correctly. I used it to TTC but also have used it to avoid for about 8-9 years altogether since I didn't like the side effects of BCP or the NuvaRing (that worked for me for a while but then started causing rough mood symptoms).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @macchiatto - No, I've not tried any "natural" methods. I personally didn't feel that the risk factor was worth it in my case. My guy is very fertile. One of his children was conceived with multiple BC methods in place. While my PCOS would likely make conception difficult for me, most of my hormone levels seem to have improved significantly in recent years, and I really am not in a positive to have a child, not to mention the added risks of a pregnancy at 40 years old and with Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Admittedly, I've never researched any of the natural methods, but I'm really not good at tracking things...so it just seems like it would not be a good method for me, personally.

Otherwise, I've been somewhat back and forth on things in general. I go back next month to my Endo to see if my thyroid is improving yet. I'm struggling so much with what to eat since I'm so broke - healthy choices aren't always affordable or realistic. I damaged my thyroid function with keto, or poorly supplemented keto, but I can't seem to find a level of low carb that is sustainable for me... (Something I read recently said a T3 developed condition might be a factor, and I need to research further, as well as I'm beginning to suspect my non-autoimmune hypothyroidism may actually be Hashimoto's running low-key, which might also require additional tweaks)...

Also, I've been having mild hypomanic spins around what I presume to be my underlying hormonal cycle's PMS, despite the suppression. I can't figure out if it is related to the thyroid situation, if it really is bipolar, or what the heck, so it's frustrating. I dialed back my aminos, because a couple are listed as possibly triggering mania, but my thyroid has left me feeling kind of chaotic too, so it's really hard to point back to anything.

So, I'm struggling, but I don't know if the struggles are related or not, and it's hard to see the forest for the trees to know if they are the same or different, and all of that.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Sooo tough to figure out multiple variables like that. I hope more and more of the puzzle pieces start becoming clear for you. And ugh, I hear you on healthy choices on a tight budget! Now that DH has also changed his WOE (which is great but not cheap! ;)) I'm struggling more to stick within the grocery budget.

I'm so sorry to hear you accidentally caused some damage doing keto. So frustrating. :( Any advice you have for those of us currently doing keto to avoid doing damage? Should all of us be supplementing zinc and selenium or only with known/suspected thyroid problems? (For me so far I'm concerned that I'm overly carb sensitive now, not sure if that will gradually change or not. I'm fine staying somewhat low carb for life but don't want to *have* to stay at keto levels long-term if I don't have to. Also, I'm no longer experiencing some of the benefits when I first started keto, e.g acid reflux and other digestive problems have started up again, so I'm trying to figure out what to adjust.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    To me, that all speaks to both a thyroid issue and a stomach acid/digestive enzyme issue, which can stem from a thyroid issue, which can be triggered by insulin resistance/PCOS...

It's such a related cycle of mess...

If your insulin isn't flowing, it doesn't tell the thyroid to produce hormone, keeping your metabolism up. If thyroid is underperforming, it doesn't help produce/direct production of stomach acids... Then you get heartburn, etc. @anglyn1 has a great article about the whys of stomach acid... I'll add later if I can find it (trying to get out of work for the day), but long story is - acid reflux etc, excepting an actual physical problem in the system or a genetic issue, is not from too much acid. It's from too little of the right kind of acids being produced causing the body to overproduce the kinds it can still make to compensate. Adding in the right kinds of acids stops this....

Alternating diarrhea/constipation is a sign of thyroid issues, digestive acids/enzymes needed issues, and a few other things. Gas, discomfort, auto-ejection, etc. All related.

And actually, something I read early basically said that once we get most things level, a detox diet from gluten, dairy, and soy (and sugar, which is already gone for most of us by that point), for I think 30-60 days, then you can add back in and find your trigger foods. The foods that were just bothering an already bothered body won't cause sensitivities anymore, etc.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I went under 50 grams of carbs per day last summer with disastrous results to my cycle and hair, but I have thyroid issues and didn't realize I should stay at at least 75 g per day (per Chris Kresser.) My dr of course was clueless. I did some digging and found this article which helped explain why: https://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-and-womens-hormones/

Keto is great for some PCOS women though.