Strava etiquette?

Options
amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
I am fairly new to Strava, no friends on it yet. Every day I get kudos from random strangers and am not sure what the appropriate response is. Kudo them back? I'm not really sure how it all works... :no_mouth:

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I am fairly new to Strava, no friends on it yet. Every day I get kudos from random strangers and am not sure what the appropriate response is. Kudo them back? I'm not really sure how it all works... :no_mouth:

Meh, not really a worry. I don't think there really is an etiquette regarding Kudos. I get randoms all the time, especially from Zwift. I don't generally worry about it.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    one of the things in Zwift about getting "random" kudos is the facility on the apple devices to "kudos all" the people that strava determines you "rode with" - so if you do one of the "group rides" for example - like I did last sunday - the PAC SUB2 vs the Mountain - strava thinks you rode with something like 200 people. If you go into the lis tof people and shake the phone/ipad an option to "kudo all" pops up ... all it takes is 20-30 people to do this, and you're going to get lots of randoms :)

for "Real-Life" rides, if I get kudos from someone i don't recognise, i simply ignore it... much the same as if I get "follow requests" from someone I don't know - I've probably got 5 pages or more of people following me, that I've accumulated over the years of running cycling challenges on here - and frankly I can't remember half of them, never mind new names - I generally get half a dozen or more each year when the Grand Tour Challenges kick in - some of which disappear before the end of the first tour, others who may stick around for the next 5 years or more...

I really aught to have a bit of a "purge" if I'm honest and nuke pretty much everyone apart from the people on the challenges I'm running and the few "real life" friends i've got - because with the number of people i'm "following" and are "following me", the newsfeed is almost impossible to keep up to giving kudos and commenting on - especially in summer.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thank for the input. I can't even figure out how to send a kudo at all, maybe that is because I don't use an iOS device. I'll continue to ignore them. Cracks me up, though, because it's usually my commute to work. Just going to work doesn't seem worth getting a kudo (or does it??) lol
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Thank for the input. I can't even figure out how to send a kudo at all, maybe that is because I don't use an iOS device. I'll continue to ignore them. Cracks me up, though, because it's usually my commute to work. Just going to work doesn't seem worth getting a kudo (or does it??) lol

Sure it does!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't use Strava for the social aspect of it, so I have all my rides set to Private so nobody but me sees them.
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do get those random kudos on strava too, doesn't really bother me unless someone is using their name fields for a company name. In which case I consider it spam.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    i'm getting more annoyed by the "follow requests" from a bunch of randoms than any Kudos I gain...

in the past week I've had something like half a dozen of 'em - all from people in areas where I know nobody - not even "know from mfp" or other online stuff... It's all since starting riding the Zwift Group rides I think, probably people wondering who was the guy they sat on the wheel of that dragged them all the way up Box Hill with a HR that never went over 125... I CBA to explain that I'm redlined at something like 130 with the current beta-blockers!

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You tend to get a lot of random Kudos for Zwift rides - I suspect it is probably that "Kudos all" option that was mentioned earlier.

For non Zwift rides there do seem to be some folks that Kudos loads and loads of people (we were discussing it in the club and it seems to be the same set of folks that do it) - no real idea why, or what they're trying to get out of it, maybe just hoping to get lots of followers for some reason.

Personally I only Kudos folks I'm following or occasionally someone I've been racing closely with in Zwift.
  • superjohn71
    superjohn71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Be aware as well that Strava has been used, at least here in the UK, by thieves to identify who has really nice bikes, and where they live. For this reason, as well as having a 'hidden location' to try and mask where I live, I have my privacy settings set to enhanced privacy and am really, really picky about who I let follow me.