Upcoming Surgery, 2/28/2017

Options
ZelleLarentia
ZelleLarentia Posts: 29 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Blessings everyone, I know it has been a while since I've posted.

Back in June 2016, I had surgery to remove a bunion and correct the alignment of my big toe. The surgery involved two cuts to the bone, one on top and the other on the bottom. The lower portion has healed, but the upper portion has not even with daily use of a bone growth stimulator, since September 2016. Plus, the screw that was used to hold the two bones together is starting to move around, causing me a lot more pain (imagine the feeling of eating spinach or clam chowder where the spinach or clams have not been washed well, leaving grit between your teeth. Now imagine that sensation in your foot, only it's the bone and the screw).

There was concern that the bone might have died and become necrotic, so I had an MRI done yesterday (2/21/2017), to aid my podiatrist in what to do surgically, other than remove the screw. Thankfully, the bone is good, as is the marrow, so there is minimal possibility of an amputation of the toe. I have my per-anestesia appointment tomorrow.

So, at minimum the screw that is moving around will be removed entirely. As to what else may be done (including a possible joint fusion), I won't know 'til the day of surgery. My only concern is that they are only giving me 4 days worth of pain relief (New Mexico has a high rate of prescription pain drug addictions, so this is how it goes). Hopefully I will be able to get into the pain clinic ASAP after surgery, so they can assist with that. Otherwise, I'm gonna be quite grumpy for a while.

I'm doing what I can to maximize my chances for complete healing, both nutritionally and spiritually, as I'm really, REALLY tired of having to use a wheelchair every time I leave the house, and this air cast on my foot. Not to mention I'm going stir-crazy, LOL.

I am closing with a few prayers for healing, as I'm sure there are others who need them, either for themselves or someone they know.

Katje

Prayers taken from http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/prayer/p-healing.html

For Healing:

Lord, You invite all who are burdened to come to You. Allow your healing hand to heal me. Touch my soul with Your compassion for others. Touch my heart with Your courage and infinite love for all. Touch my mind with Your wisdom, that my mouth may always proclaim Your praise. Teach me to reach out to You in my need, and help me to lead others to You by my example. Most loving Heart of Jesus, bring me health in body and spirit that I may serve You with all my strength. Touch gently this life which You have created, now and forever. Amen.

Prayer for Healing:

Lord, look upon me with eyes of mercy, may your healing hand rest upon me, may your life-giving powers flow into every cell of my body and into the depths of my soul, cleansing, purifying, restoring me to wholeness and strength for service in your Kingdom. Amen.

Prayer for Healing:

O God who are the only source of health and healing, the spirit of calm and the central peace of this universe, grant to me such a consciousness of your indwelling and surrounding presence that I may permit you to give me health and strength and peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Replies

• ACSelkie
    ACSelkie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you have to undergo yet another surgery prayers and good wishes for a full ,speedy and as pain free as possible recovery... Thank you for posting the beautiful prayers of healing... I really related to #3 . It reminded me that God is always there for me I just need to get out of his way.. :smile:
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Hopefully, your pain will be well managed. I think the prescription-pain medication abuse is nationwide. My husband just had a total hip replacement and got through the healing with heavy doses of Tylenol.
  • ACSelkie
    ACSelkie Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hope all went well with you re surgery ..
  • ZelleLarentia
    ZelleLarentia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just a quick check-in before I call it a night. Will give an update later today (Tuesday).