New Member Introduction

Options
jmpurser
jmpurser Posts: 22 Member
Good Morning,

About 30 years ago I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane and then trusted an army doctor. Two lifestyle changing mistakes.

Now I weigh 474 lbs at 5' 10 and the only consistent exercise I can get is walking in a local pool.

I thought I'd hang out in this group a while to remind myself I'm not alone in this. I've found it to be very difficult to make people who haven't experience chronic pain understand what's going on with me. From the little I've read in this group I don't expect that to be a problem here.

John

Replies

• Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Welcome John! I live with a few disabilities including fibromyalgia. I hope this group will be able to give you all the support you need. :)
  • CAMOLOVELADY
    CAMOLOVELADY Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am new to this also and deal with constant pain on a daily basis. Not only do I have fibromyalgia but I also have arthritis in my back along with have degenerative disk disease. The deteriorating disks I have been dealing with for 14 years. I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2015. The arthritis I have had for about the last 10 years.

I saw this group and thought it would be the perfect group for me. I know people look at us and don't see the physical issues that we go through but they are there and they are real. It just takes those of us who do have these problems to get together and show these folks that the issues to not have to be noticeable in order for them to be real. I think this will be a great support group for all of us and will hopefully keep us all from failing at one of our biggest concerns and that is losing weight.

• jcampbell8065
    jcampbell8065 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to MFP and this group. I have lived with chronic pain of one sort or the other for almost 40 years. For the last 20 years my pain has been centered around my back, neck, and right shoulder.

I must admit that I don't much about fibromyalgia. I did some quick reads on the internet and still don't think that I know what it is other than being defined by symptoms. I do have many of the symptoms but not all of them.

I do know about living with chronic pain. I think a group like this one would be of interest to me.
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am back after a bit of an absense... Hope we can revive this group
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Nikki I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I also have degenerative disc disease and problems with discs in my lower back, IBS, and chronic migraines.

So I deal with a lot of various pain all day every day most of it I think I would be able to manage on its own is just everything stacked together that makes everything worse. Except the migraines they are quite disabling on their own and are actually preventing me from being able to hold down a job at the moment which I truly hate.

Due to all the various medications I have been on (and being forced to rest in bed way more than I would like) I have gained a lot of weight and I and hoping to lose as much as I can.

Before having issues with migraines (and major problems with fibro) I was around 100-110lbs (and I am 5'2"btw) at my heaviest I was over 200lbs. I managed to drop a lot of that just by getting off the bad medications and when I joined MFP (and decided to join the gym and calorie count) I weighted around 163lbs which was around the beginning of March of 2017 now in April I'm down to about 151lbs.

I'd like to get down to about 120-125lbs total and I hope working out will help with my pain management and insomnia issues.

I would love to make friends with similar experiences and who can share advice and help!
  • traceyc013
    Options
    Hi Nikki. That's a lot to deal with. Sounds like you're doing well with MFP... Hope you find some pain relief!!!
  • strifechick
    Options
    @traceyc013
    Yeah it can be pretty tough when everything gets all stacked together. I think I could manage everything else a whole lot better if I didn't have to deal with the migraines they are what really knock me down but I have been trying really hard any day I can physically get up and move I have been going to the gym or walking several miles and I have been eating a lot less/better foods.

I really hope I can get back to how I used to look or at least close to it and then be able to maintain it!
  • hypnoquin81
    hypnoquin81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’m Quin. I’m grateful this space is here.
    I was 370 lbs in 2015 when a car accident left me with 5 bulging discs, a swollen knee, numbness in both hands and left foot, and shoulder weakness. I was getting better with physical therapy until we moved. In November 2016, I sustained a concussion.
    I now have migraines and speech issues which worsen with my menstrual cycle.
    I’m at 415 lbs. Movement is painful, but I realize this weight adds to the pain I experience and hinders my recovery.
    I want to surround myself with people who are committed to working on themselves as I'm learning the art of patience as I work on healing myself.
    I appreciate hearing the experience, strength, and hope of others on this journey. Thank-you all for being here.
  • traceyc013
    Options
    Hi Quin! Glad you're here. You can do this one day at a time. I am so sorry you have been struggling. Feel free to add me!
  • traceyc013
    Options
    @strifechick . You can do it! Migraines suck. Don't let them steal your joy!
  • strifechick
    Options
    @traceyc013 thanks I really appreciate it. They really have stolen so much from my life I would like to get something back. If I can't feel better maybe I'll look better? Hahah
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello to all of you!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Man! Apologize for not being around! Health challenges over this past year have kept me from being as active on MFP as I had been. I have been through it since last August! I had a tummy tuck, and a breast lift done. But I didn't get fully recovered when I began having some severe abdominal pain! Was in the hospital for fifteen days the last week of September. They thought I had colitis. I got better, but still wasn't good. Then, in December I was readmitted with the same pain, but this time they consulted my surgeon and he found that I had a perforated ulcer in the first portion of my small intestine! Thing that saved my life, imo, was that it had perforated through my large intestine too! This freak of a thing kept my intestinal contents from being spilled into my abdominal cavity that would have created an infection that's usually fatal! It's taken me a long time to fully recover from that surgery in December, but I believe I'm finally better!

I did gain some weight while recovering. Having to eat foods that digest easily led to eating higher carb foods more than I had in two years. I've now begun to repose some of it again since getting back to
    eating low carb! That's something I've never been able to do before! I'm so proud of myself!

Another event over the recent past is that last November the hospital system I've always u!sed chose to not renew the contract of my neurologist! He is the doctor that gave me my Botox for chronic migraine for nearly 20 years, and administered my medications. They sent me to another neurologist, but he was an a**hole! Treated me like crap. Didn't give me the Botox as I had received it for so long. So, I found another doctor, but he , also, didn't care to administer even the same dose. He cuT it down by one fifth. Then, when he administered it he was not gentle, at all! Well, now my old doctor is back in practice, which is wonderful, but it taking him a long time to recertify to be able to administer Botox. It's like he's a brand new doctor getting set up! He hadn't done anything wrong or he wouldn't be able to practice again. It was all because of money. My doctor had been with the system for thirty years, which made him expensive. The hospital has had to trim their costs because they are having to repay their retirees the money they stole from the retirement accounts! So, yes, my health has been negatively affected because of these crooks! I'm a week away from when I would be receiving my Botox and they still haven't gotten these things going yet! My headaches will increase without it, so I'm not looking forward to that!!

Will try to drop by more pals!
  • RLBansonNoond1990
    RLBansonNoond1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type 3 which causes chronic pain and joint instability (if you've not heard of it, it's a Connective Tissue Disorder that affects the production of Collagen in the body). After seeking the wrong kinds of treatment (splints/braces/wheelchairs/crutches etc)- I realised I'd de-conditioned myself and made my condition worse. I now know the best treatment is physio, exercise and healthy eating/living.

So I'm on a journey to lose weight and get fit so that I can put as little stress on my joints as possible! I want to build up my muscle strength to compensate for my lax ligaments, so I can continue to work and enjoy myself with as little pain as possible!

If anyone wants to add me then feel free :smile:
  • catt59
    catt59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is anybody still active in this group?
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I’m just returning after a year plus absence, during which I found a medication that WORKED for my fibromyalgia! After 19 years of suffering so badly I couldn’t do much of anything. But during this same time period, the lumbar stenosis that had crept up over past 5 years became so severe that nerves to my lower legs were being crushed by bone overgrowth, calf muscles disappeared and pain in legs were unbearable. Finally had major lower back surgery last July, fusion/laminectomy L3-S1 plus more bone taken out in spinal canal. It’s a year recovery, I’m doing well and calf muscles are back! Migraines under control with Imitrex when needed.

How are you doing?
  • catt59
    catt59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Chris. I'm 59 years old and I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. I'm also diabetic and have suffered with migraines all my life. At this point I just do some stretching exercises and walking as I tend to injure myself if I try anything more strenuous. I have some congenital problems with my legs that makes running hazardous.
  • Torri1959
    Torri1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Torri. I'm 58 years old and hate the clinical term for my body as obese is a terrible word. I'd prefer fat, cuddly, just about anything. I'm back on my diabetic meds as my blood sugar and weight has gone back up again. I have 5 bad discs, heel spur, total hip replacment on my right side and suffer from bad depression. I live alone in an apartment in my daughters basement. With so much cold and ice i'm scared to go outside and fall. I have a treadmill that my daughter bought, but with a heel spur I am in too much pain to walk. Trying an insert right now to see if it helps. I've been feeling like giving up on losing weight as diet food has no taste and one thing i'd like to look forward to in winter is my meals. I hope being here gives me some encouragement and friends that go through the same issues.