Anyone Working On Other Goals Besides Weight Loss?

Options
Byronic_Ryu
Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
So far I have lost 31 lbs. and I am happy that I lost that much weight but there are other goals I have been working on. I am trying to work on my organization skills. It is very difficult for me to keep track of things and be neat. My brain can't seem to grasp certain concepts. I still have difficulty reading, writing, and understanding and retaining new information. I plan on talking to the disabled student council at the local colleges to see if there are classes that can help me relearn all these skills in a way that can accommodate my disabilities. I am open to suggestions on where I can find information on learning disabilities.

I have been starting to do the dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher. I want to do more but my treatment will only go as fast as it can. I am going to go back to hot yoga this week to get stronger physically and mentally, less stress, and pain relief. I am also trying to keep on top of flossing which is really hard for me to do because of how painful it is for fingers and jaw and how difficult it is for me to maneuver the floss around. Anyone else have anything that they are working on?

Replies

• camsthebrave
    camsthebrave Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 31 lb loss!

I know here in NY we have a few programs for those of us with disabilities or challenges to activities of daily living. One is called Acess VR that helps with vocational rehab for people with disabilities physical, learning etc. go back to college or work. Most colleges do have a disability office as well (like your local college). Here state schools are required to help people with disabilities. I'm not as sure about private colleges but most are accommodating to those with disabilities. There are also local independent living centers here that tell about local resources and help teach life skills to those of us with disabilities - like adaptive cooking etc. Local Catholic Charities are also a good resource for caseworkers that might be able to tell you of your local community resources. I only know these things since, being in a wheelchair - I've accessed them all at some point as a resource. Good Luck :smile:

My goals besides the weight loss (have lost 97 lbs so far) -
    1) Get my Degree in Social Work (going back to school this fall)
    2) Volunteer with the local chapter of the Red Cross (working on training currently)
    3) Walk again, at least with a walker (physical therapy in progress, soooo painful with my horrible spine but still some slow progress)
    4) Get a decent job that pays the bills (going through Acces VR in a year or two)
    5) Move somewhere warm

I like to see them like that - what I want to do in one concise list.

• atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats to both of you (Byronic_Ryu and camsthebrave) for your fabulous weight losses!! I have a couple sites that might give you some helpful information.

https://ldaamerica.org/about-us/ld-foundation/

http://www.ncld.org

https://www.disability.gov

I hope you can find what you're looking for. These aren't local sites but maybe they can give you some contacts in your area. Good luck!

My other goals besides weight loss are:
    1) Learn how to pace myself on a daily basis so I have more consistent days.
    2) Do more stretching to regain some of my flexibility.
    3) Walk more.
    4) Keep learning more about Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (It's amazing how little my doctor knows)
    5) Keeping my depression under better control (not always easy with chronic pain as you know)
    6) Find a hobby
    7) Make friends in my area

• Byronic_Ryu
    Options
    @camsthebrave
    Just curious, what got you interested in social work and what would you like to do in that field?
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My goals beside weight loss:
    1. Finish the 2 books I'm writing
    2. Brush up on Spanish
    3. Organize my house
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Options
    @atitagain1958

Some of your goals are also things I have been working on. It took me a long time to figure out how to fit the phrase "just start with one". Despite my body, I have an ambitious spirit so it is hard for me to accept that I have to take things a lot slower. I also want to find more friends but it is really hard because I found out the hard way that a lot of able bodied people don't really want to invest in a friendship with me because they have hang ups with my disabilities. The people I end up being friends with are other disabled people or those who work in a field with lots of disabled clients.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Options
    My goals beside weight loss:
    1. Finish the 2 books I'm writing
    2. Brush up on Spanish
    3. Organize my house

What are your books about (genres, fiction/nonfiction, etc...)?

I am hoping to become fluent in Korean again.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm writing fantasy. One is for children, the other for adults. I have more hope for the one for kids right now.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You all have great goals and congrats on your losses. I have lost 25 pounds and have 50 more to go.

1. Work less - try to cure workaholic syndrome
    2. Spend more time with my husband
    3. Have more fun
    4. European vacation
    5. Spend more time on getting a definitive diagnosis for the cause of my pain
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Options
    mhessacp wrote: »
    You all have great goals and congrats on your losses. I have lost 25 pounds and have 50 more to go.

1. Work less - try to cure workaholic syndrome
    2. Spend more time with my husband
    3. Have more fun
    4. European vacation
    5. Spend more time on getting a definitive diagnosis for the cause of my pain

I definitely need more of number 3.

Where would you like to visit in Europe?
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Trying to use no pain meds.
    Working on my depression.
  • Peaslepuff
    Peaslepuff Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Totally. I'm trying to develop better hygiene habits. I want to wash and moisturize my face twice a day and develop a better hair care routine. I'm also trying to budget my money better.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Options
    Peaslepuff wrote: »
    Totally. I'm trying to develop better hygiene habits. I want to wash and moisturize my face twice a day and develop a better hair care routine. I'm also trying to budget my money better.

I am doing the same thing. I am trying to include flossing regularly.
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    just saw this. workong on...
    mindfulness and gratitude / appreciation mindset. frees up much energy to attend to healful living, life demands etc

aim to live purposefully and gently but also staying fiercely determined.

Michaela

• mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congrats to those who have lost weight and are doing all these things to improve your lives!

My goals:
    1) To run again. I stopped when I hurt my back, and in April I somehow got the strength to run a 5k. I want to be able to do that consistently several times a week.
    2) To organize my house for a garage sale on June 10th! I've put it in the paper, so I have to!
    3) To get consistent with my schedule. I haven't yet had a "perfect" week where I've made it to all my acupuncture, massage, chiropractor, and Pilates classes. I think that would help me feel better, and I need to do it.
    4) To get more sleep. I'm a night owl and have work early in the morning, so getting into bed early enough is always a struggle.
    5) To me more mindful. I feel like I'm always going, going, going, and once in a while I need to take it easy, breathe, and not focus on the anxiety about house chores, planning, appointments, my mother's health, or anything else other than what I'm doing that very moment.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I want to get pregnant once my weight is lower :)
  • catt59
    catt59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So encouraging to read everybody's lists, saw a lot of things that I need to accomplish also. Mostly trying to lose weight so I can be more active. Trying to develop a daily routine so things get done consistently. and trying not to get upset when I can't get as much done in a day as I would like.