50 miler training plan

Options
FatMoojor
FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
Coming up to my first marathon of the year at the weekend and I have realised that due to family issues and just my general lack of a plan I am well and truly underprepared for the run.

Having to accept that this is going to be a "just finish" race instead of any sort of time target one.

I have a 30 miler planned for the 8th of March and am probably going to be in the same boat for that one as well. I'm not going to get much improved in the 3 weeks between the runs.

But, my next planned and paid up for run isn't until the 15th July, which is a 50 miler. So I am intending to start a proper training plan after my March run, and with that in mind, does anyone have a training plan that they have used successfully for a 50 miler.

Replies

• tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have a plan for a 50 miler other than some I have read in books. However, I finished a marathon this past weekend on minimal training (due to knee surgery) and viewed the race as a training run. I am training for a 50K in late April and am using a marathon training schedule with some mileage added to the long runs as a guide. Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Coming up to my first marathon of the year at the weekend and I have realised that due to family issues and just my general lack of a plan I am well and truly underprepared for the run.

Having to accept that this is going to be a "just finish" race instead of any sort of time target one.

I have a 30 miler planned for the 8th of March and am probably going to be in the same boat for that one as well. I'm not going to get much improved in the 3 weeks between the runs.

But, my next planned and paid up for run isn't until the 15th July, which is a 50 miler. So I am intending to start a proper training plan after my March run, and with that in mind, does anyone have a training plan that they have used successfully for a 50 miler.

Since both marathons are to be run on a "just finish" basis, I'd suggest that you start your 50 miler training plan, once you find a suitable one, now (as soon as possible) and incorporate those just finish Marathons into that training plan. I don't see the reason to wait to start training for the race in which you are most interested. Just my $0.02.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Since both marathons are to be run on a "just finish" basis, I'd suggest that you start your 50 miler training plan, once you find a suitable one, now (as soon as possible) and incorporate those just finish Marathons into that training plan. I don't see the reason to wait to start training for the race in which you are most interested. Just my $0.02.
    Seconded. It's pretty common to use marathons and 50ks as training runs for 50 milers.
  • FatMoojor
    Options
    Yeah, you are both correct. Once again I end up putting off starting an actual plan because of "something" and just muddle along running as and when.

Took a day of rest yesterday after the Sunday marathon and am going to get out today and start training. Spent yesterday evening going through various sites, mags etc and have settled on to using my trail running mag's plan for a 50 miler.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Spent yesterday evening going through various sites, mags etc and have settled on to using my trail running mag's plan for a 50 miler.

Keep us posted on how that works out for you... to help some of us that will be looking at those longer distances in the future. Best of luck!
  • MonicaAnn50
    MonicaAnn50 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

How did your 50 go? What did your training plan look like? Glad to find another ultra runner on here.
  • FatMoojor
    Options

How did your 50 go? What did your training plan look like? Glad to find another ultra runner on here.

Sadly it didn't. Around the start of April I managed to put my back out in the gym, which meant I couldn't run for most of the month. Started slowly back at it and was doing okay in May only for it to go again at the start of June.

Started physio and am slowly working back up the miles. Saturday was the first "long" run, only 12 miles, I have been able to do since April.

I have a 60 miler planned at the start of September, with all things going well I should be okay for.

• DanielleM7810
    DanielleM7810 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know my response is well after the fact but for anyone else who might read this, I found an excellent training plan for a 50miler from Marathon Training Academy. Its a 20 week plan and assumes you have a solid mileage base to start from. My first ultra is a year away but I have a full marathon in Sept and am using the next year to make certain I am fully ready for my trail 50. So there's my 2 cents worth.
  • MonicaAnn50
    Options

Sadly it didn't. Around the start of April I managed to put my back out in the gym, which meant I couldn't run for most of the month. Started slowly back at it and was doing okay in May only for it to go again at the start of June.

Started physio and am slowly working back up the miles. Saturday was the first "long" run, only 12 miles, I have been able to do since April.

I have a 60 miler planned at the start of September, with all things going well I should be okay for.

Uuughhh...the dreaded injuries along the way. Don't you hate it! I hope your recovery goes well & that your ready to go for the 60.
  • MonicaAnn50
    Options
    I know my response is well after the fact but for anyone else who might read this, I found an excellent training plan for a 50miler from Marathon Training Academy. Its a 20 week plan and assumes you have a solid mileage base to start from. My first ultra is a year away but I have a full marathon in Sept and am using the next year to make certain I am fully ready for my trail 50. So there's my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for sharing the resource! I will check it out. I love trail running! I sort of winged it when I ran my first 50 (though I did have several marathons prior to the race). I figured maybe I should do some research & specific planning this time as I am hoping to increase the ultra distance to 100k. Good luck as you train towards your ultra!