Type of exercise v.s. burned calories

Options
Suusik
Suusik Posts: 35 Member
I am looking for most efficient type of Exercise that would burn most calories for me.
I found that using 'Stair Stepper' type and stepping my 15 floors building using stairs and walking each floor diagonally will burn 200 cal for 15 min.
I can't burn that much using Outdoor Walk or Elliptical.
My concern: does it matter which type of Exercise one selects? In my case it's not 'only' stairs but also walking ...
I think that different types were suggested for better records and analysis but it should not have impact on actually burned calories ..
Would you agree?
P.S. Someone from Apple Community suggested to use 'Other' type of Exercise instead the one I was using. Not sure ... I doubt about smartness of AW to use different algorithm for calorie count depending on the type of Exercise (maybe I'm too sceptic ..)

Replies

• Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure as I've not tested it, but I think the AW mostly relies in your heart rate for calorie burn. So that would mean that selecting Stair Stepper or Other would make no difference.

The reason you can't burn that much during an Outdoor Walk or Elliptical is because those activities are way less strenuous than walking up stairs. You're working a lot more muscles, and you have to move your entire body weight up stair after stair. You will be out of breath after a while, while this usually doesn't happen with a normal walk. This also reflects in your Heart rate which means your calorie burn will be higher.

It might be that the standard exercises of the AW (biking, walking, running, stair stepper etc) each have their own alogrithm for calories burned (for example, it could also use your pace) and just the other activity that bases it purly on heart rate. But for that I'd need to test doing the same thing with about the same heart rate using different activities, I can't say for sure.
  • Suusik
    Options
    Hi
    Your input is very valuable (as usual :smiley: )
    The best thing would be to test ( as usually
  • Suusik
    Options
    Well ... I tried to test my hypothesis about "similarity" between 'Stair Stepper' and 'Others'. I did a few times using one type and then a few times using 'Others'-> 'Stairs'. The value of burned calories was quite close. Then I wanted to do more detailed analysis and realized that even doing same Exercise e.g. 'Other' - 'Stairs' it fluctuated once (in the morning) ~ 200 calories to ~ 90 calories (afternoon). I think it make sense since the body condition could be different hence calories burned as well.
    Based on the above I don't think it's valid to compare accuracy between those 2 Exercises and I'll choose one that gives me more burned calories :smile: i.e. 'Stair Stepper'
  • Suusik
    Options
    Again... doing the same Stair Stepper the same distance a few times a day gave too high variations. I could buy some % difference due to my body stat at a given moment but I consider it too high.
    Today I've changed AW band from metal to original Apple nylon band. I noticed that metal band doesn't provide snuggling and a little bit loosely hence HBR might be not accurate.
    Also I am planning to recalibrate AW.
    I am not happy that I can't rely on accurate calories consumption. It compromises the whole point. I think that I'd agree with ~10% of variations...
    Would you agree?
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but have you taken a look at the heart rate for two of the exercises that differ a lot. It matters a lot in calories if your average BPM for a 15 minute session is 130 or if it's 150.

Can you put the stats of the 2 exercises here, maybe? Include time, BPM and calories burned so I can take a look at it :)
  • Suusik
    Options
    Well I am puzzled myself now. I still incline that my AW position on the hand is not stable or rather loose and sensor misread BMP.
    I've changed the band and now position is stable. I also decided that since I am going to gym anyway .... I will try 'step master ' machine in my gym for 15 minutes a few times(3-4 times)
    After that I should have quite reliable statistics and I could post it her.
    Then we should see calories burning for some while and I could plan.