Accountability/Partners

Options
Baphometta
Baphometta Posts: 153 Member
I'm working on adding everyone in the group to my friend's list so I can stalk all of you. ;) If you need a little pressure to stay motivated, know that I'm always watching. :p

For real though, I know that for some of you that's not enough. If you feel like you need a little extra help staying on track you can post about it here. I'll make sure to lurk around your diaries a little more and post encouragement when needed.

Just post below with your goals so we all know what to look out for.

Likewise, if you're looking for a 1-on-1 partner to really keep up with or you're willing to pair with someone, you can discuss it here.

Replies

• alecgrodecki
    alecgrodecki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm both scared and intrigued ;) As for my goal, just finished a bulking session, so cutting right now.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't have a definitive goal right now, but I want to become more organized in my calorie counting and be more aware of the nutrients I'm consuming. My exercise consists of lots of cardio.

I'm also both scared and intrigued at the same time :no_mouth:
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to lose the last 3 baby weight pounds before May and workout 6 days a week. These last pounds are rough! :s
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hey my goals is to lose post pregnancy fat , tighten tummy and lose skin from sedentary lifestyle and feel and look heathier
  • incendiumx
    incendiumx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Drop some fat. gain a lot of muscle. Im excited to make this change. My soon-to-be-ex-wife was a major discouraging factor on my fitness journey before, so now that shes gone... time to hit it hard.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get back on track.
  • DustyRuth23
    DustyRuth23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat healthier and walk more.
  • addasyn1998
    addasyn1998 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat healthier and go to the gym every weekday. I'm looking for somebody to hold me accountable!!
  • samiam824
    samiam824 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My goal this month is to hit my steps and active minutes goals (7,000/60 min) everyday. Also, I weighed myself this morning and I'm about 162 so I'd like to get back into the 150's. I just really wanna lose three pounds.
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue with my diet (70lbs lost as of today!) and start working on getting my body fat percentage down. In an ideal world, I'd crack a 'normal' BMI by the end of the 30 days, but as I've 12lbs til then, that's a bit of an overshoot. But a loss is a loss is a loss, and as long as I'm closer, I'm happy.

I'm pretty good at keeping myself on-track but as I log daily without fail, I'm happy to buddy up with someone if they'd like.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to drop the 3lb I put on over the last couple of weeks by being lazy with maintenance (I.e. Eating too many slices of pizza and cookies). Also aiming to achieve 10k steps every day this month and strength train 3 times a week without fail
  • Nyxxess
    Nyxxess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My goal is to continue working out 5 to 6 days a week. Right now I've been power walking/jogging on my treadmill for 45 mins each work out. But I would like to start throwing some strength training into my workouts as well. (If any one has any tips or suggestions to help with strength training I would appreciate them. :smile: I always have a hard time sticking to strength training)
  • alecgrodecki
    Options
    I got a few tips for strength training I s'pose:

-Always strength train prior to any cardio. The beginning of your workout is where you'll have the most energy to dive into the workout and when you're lifting you put your body into a protein synthesis phase which encourages muscle growth. Cardio on the other hand leaves the body in the opposite state where it is trying to break down protein, causing you to see less results from your lifts. Ideally, if you can, it's best to perform cardio roughly 5 hours after a lift as that will allow you to restore your energy reserves to be able to perform at peak performance for both workouts, but obviously most people don't have time to do that sort of thing.

-If you're new to lifting or it's been a while since you've strength trained, leave some in the tank. What I mean by this is when you perform a lift, have a certain rep range goal, like say 8-12 reps. Then once you're somewhere in that range and you reach a point where you think maybe you could do a few more, go ahead and re-rack the weight. The point of this is to help ease your body into the workouts to help reduce the shock to your system and the soreness that will end up taking place.

-And if you're new(ish) to strength training, I highly recommend tracking your numbers. After every set you do, write down the lift you performed, the weight you used, and the reps you achieved, and maybe even make a note detailing if it felt light, heavy, or just right. This will allow you to be much more accurate when choosing appropriate weights for your goals instead of just playing it by ear and potentially feeling lost if/when you just aren't seeing results.
  • Nyxxess
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for the info about strength training! I will defiantly try to leave some energy in the tank till my body starts acclimating to the strength training. Doing cardio 5 hours after lifting, can it be later than 5 hour (like 10 hours after?) or is 5 hours a sweet spot? And I just downloaded an app called Jefit that will let me plan out and keep track how much I lift, reps, and sets, so I can keep track of my progress. My goal is to try and lift twice a week. Is it better to do 2 full body work outs? Or should I do one upper body/core, and the next one lower body/core?
  • alecgrodecki
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No problem, it is my profession after all!

The 5 hours is just a minimum recommendation for those that can fit it into their schedule. As I said, it's all about allowing your body to recuperate after a lift to be able to train intensely on cardio as well, rather than feeling a bit fatigued from the lift and then doing cardio immediately afterwards.

As for what specifically you should do, it all depends on how you plan to train. Since you're just starting, I would recommend doing two full body workouts to start out with. Once/if you reach the point where you feel ready for high intensity lifting sessions, you can do an upper/lower split. The important thing with that kind of split is making sure that you work the muscles to a crazy amount of fatigue. For reference, I personally lift 5 days a week and focus on intensely burning out one or two different muscle groups each day. This means I go insanely hard on those days, but those muscle groups each get a week before I make them work again.

Also, another HUGE, and commonly overlooked, aspect to training is the concept of rest. When you strength train, you're actually causing little micro-tears in your muscles that the body then has to repair, and when it repairs it, it makes the muscles bigger and stronger. If you aren't getting enough rest, you're going to keep breaking your body down and you won't actually see any results. Eventually you can even injure yourself if you keep it up for too long. The concept of rest here comes in two forms:

1. Time between working muscle groups: Depending on how intensely you work a particular muscle group, this will vary. Generally speaking with light-moderate intensity, you'll want at least 48 hours between working a muscle group again (say I work chest on Monday, that means no more pushups till Wednesday at the earliest). If you reach a point of higher intensity training, the time between working those muscles should also increase. This may go up to 3 days, 4 days, or even a week (like me!).

2. SLEEP!!! Your body NEEDS sleep. To make sure you get enough sleep, you should aim to go to bed early enough that you almost never have to actually rely on an alarm clock to wake you up. Or you can figure out about how long your body typically likes to sleep and adjust your bed time accordingly so your alarm can wake you up after that set amount of time. I personally aim for a good ole 8 hours a night, but some can get by with less or maybe even need more. It's also good to try to take a nap after a lifting session if you can too. Typically you'll start feeling fatigued and a little slow after the adrenaline wears off from your workout. This is a great time to jump start your recovery process with a nice nap! As far as how long the nap should be, it doesn't really matter. Could be a short 15 min nap, or it could be an hour, but know that taking a nap will also most likely adjust your sleep schedule at night and potentially require less sleep when you finally do go to bed.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi Alecgrodecki! Cheers for the advice so far, my husband's got a bunch of dumbells and barbells that haven't seen the light of day for a few years stored in the garage, is there any lifting exercises you'd recommend I could do at home that don't require a bench? I do HIIT circuit training once a week and we do every muscle group (thanks to a corporate fitness initiative at work) and feel I should be doing some more strength training halfway between. I've usually recovered from the DOMS about 3-4 days after I do that workout.

Thankyouuuuu! And sorry for being cheeky but you seem to know what you're on about. :)
  • Nyxxess
    Options
    No problem, it is my profession after all!

The 5 hours is just a minimum recommendation for those that can fit it into their schedule. As I said, it's all about allowing your body to recuperate after a lift to be able to train intensely on cardio as well, rather than feeling a bit fatigued from the lift and then doing cardio immediately afterwards.

As for what specifically you should do, it all depends on how you plan to train. Since you're just starting, I would recommend doing two full body workouts to start out with. Once/if you reach the point where you feel ready for high intensity lifting sessions, you can do an upper/lower split. The important thing with that kind of split is making sure that you work the muscles to a crazy amount of fatigue. For reference, I personally lift 5 days a week and focus on intensely burning out one or two different muscle groups each day. This means I go insanely hard on those days, but those muscle groups each get a week before I make them work again.

Also, another HUGE, and commonly overlooked, aspect to training is the concept of rest. When you strength train, you're actually causing little micro-tears in your muscles that the body then has to repair, and when it repairs it, it makes the muscles bigger and stronger. If you aren't getting enough rest, you're going to keep breaking your body down and you won't actually see any results. Eventually you can even injure yourself if you keep it up for too long. The concept of rest here comes in two forms:

1. Time between working muscle groups: Depending on how intensely you work a particular muscle group, this will vary. Generally speaking with light-moderate intensity, you'll want at least 48 hours between working a muscle group again (say I work chest on Monday, that means no more pushups till Wednesday at the earliest). If you reach a point of higher intensity training, the time between working those muscles should also increase. This may go up to 3 days, 4 days, or even a week (like me!).

2. SLEEP!!! Your body NEEDS sleep. To make sure you get enough sleep, you should aim to go to bed early enough that you almost never have to actually rely on an alarm clock to wake you up. Or you can figure out about how long your body typically likes to sleep and adjust your bed time accordingly so your alarm can wake you up after that set amount of time. I personally aim for a good ole 8 hours a night, but some can get by with less or maybe even need more. It's also good to try to take a nap after a lifting session if you can too. Typically you'll start feeling fatigued and a little slow after the adrenaline wears off from your workout. This is a great time to jump start your recovery process with a nice nap! As far as how long the nap should be, it doesn't really matter. Could be a short 15 min nap, or it could be an hour, but know that taking a nap will also most likely adjust your sleep schedule at night and potentially require less sleep when you finally do go to bed.

Thank you soooo much for all your help! I truly appreciate it! I'm planning on strength training on Sunday (or Monday) and again on Thursday. On those days I'll probably do my strength training before work and do my cardio after work, like you suggested.
  • alecgrodecki
    Options
    Hi Alecgrodecki! Cheers for the advice so far, my husband's got a bunch of dumbells and barbells that haven't seen the light of day for a few years stored in the garage, is there any lifting exercises you'd recommend I could do at home that don't require a bench? I do HIIT circuit training once a week and we do every muscle group (thanks to a corporate fitness initiative at work) and feel I should be doing some more strength training halfway between. I've usually recovered from the DOMS about 3-4 days after I do that workout.

Thankyouuuuu! And sorry for being cheeky but you seem to know what you're on about. :)

Ooooohhhh, sooooooo many exercises you can do without a bench.

Legs:
    Quads & booty - So the typical response you will hear with "how do I get strong legs?" is "do more squats." While squats do definitely have their merit, honestly, anything you can do on a single leg will actually develop the legs much more efficiently and yield better results. So with that, I would highly advise a lot of Lunges and Split Squats (if you have access to a chair or something you could prop a foot on, you basically set up a lunge but put your back foot, shoelaces down, on that chair). With Split Squats, it's going to work a lot of stabilization muscles, so it may be something that you may have to start out with just body weight until your balance has improved before you start adding weight with dumbells or putting weight onto a barbell and propping it on your back.
    Hamstrings - With the front of the legs, it's also very important to work the back of the legs. For this, there are two exercises I can recommend here. First would be Straight Leg Deadlift. With this exercise, you use a barbell with LIGHT weights set up on it and essentially set up like a normal deadlift. But here, you're going to keep only a slight bend in the knee, and hinge over at the waist (keeping a neutral, natural spine curvature) until you feel a stretch in the hamstrings, then squeeze the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back to bring the weight back up. You can essentially think of this as almost a terrible form deadlift that almost everybody has heard about where you end up throwing your back out because you went for a 500lbs lift and used all back. Second, since you have a partner you can do what I call Body Weight Hamstring Curls. For these, whoever is going to do the lift gets on both their knees. Their partner is going to be behind them and hold their feet. From there, the lifter will squeeze with their hamstrings and try to slowly lower their body to the floor. Eventually the hamstrings will essentially give out and you'll fall to the floor, from there, you press just far enough off the floor until your hamstrings catch and pull you all the way back up.
    Calves - Nothing too fancy here, just grab a couple dumbells and squeeze slowly up to your tip toes, then slowly release back down.

Chest:
    Pushups - Self explanatory here
    DB or Barbell Chest Press - Lie down on the floor and push your weights out. Would most likely require your partner to hand you the weights, but will practice perfect form and taking your arms down to a 90 degree angle to protect the shoulder. Make sure to NEVER lockout the elbows. This puts a lot of pressure on the joint and can end up damaging it.
    Dumbell Cross Raises - Grip two fairly light dumbells by your sides. You will lift the weight, one at a time, across your body with your palm facing up, up to about shoulder height, squeezing the chest at the top.

Upper Back:
    Bent Low Rows - With dumbells or a barbell, you hinge at the waist to roughly a 45 degree angle, keeping that neutral spine. From there, you're squeezing the shoulder blades together and pulling the elbows straight back, scrapping them across the ribs. You should feel yourself pulling with the middle of your back.
    Bent High Rows - Same setup as the Low Rows, but for these, you let your elbows flair directly out to the sides, almost like a reverse chest press. This pull will feel higher in the back than the low rows.
    Reverse Flys - Grab some light plates or light dumbells, hinge over just like with the rows, keep a slight bend in the elbows. From here, you're still squeezing the shoulder blades together, but your letting your arms come out to your sides (Pretend like you're a bird trying to fly away from this workout!).

Shoulders:
    Upright rows - Grab a Barbell just outside the hips, or grab some dumbells and roll the forearms forward with your palms facing towards you. Squeeze with the traps (neck) and shoulders to bring the weight roughly up to the chest, keeping Elbows above the Wrists.
    Lateral Raises - Grab dumbells, roll your shoulders back and down, and raise your arms out to the sides to make a "T" with your body.
    Front Raises - Exact same idea with the Dumbell Cross Raises above, but don't lift the weight across the body, and keep the palms facing downwards.

Biceps:
    All about dem Bicep curls. Close grip, wide grip, neutral grip, whatever will get more curls in. If you have some sort of decline plane you can prop your arm(s) on, you can do decline curls with a dumbell, or preacher curls with the barbell.

Triceps:
    Overhead Tricep Press - Grab a plate, a reletively heavy dumbell, or two smaller dumbells and press them together behind the head with your elbows pointing straight up to the ceiling. From here, press that weight out above your head, then return and repeat.
    Tricep Kickbacks - Hinge over, and if you want to prop yourself on a table or the back of a couch or something and do one arm at a time, you can go ahead and do that. Squeeze your arm up so that your upper arm is near parallel to the ground with the forearm hanging. From here, try to straighten that arm without letting that upper arm dip.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Looking to loose around 100 lbs here. I really sux at writing on these things. Soooo.... yeah
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Looking to get down to a healthy weight and, for once, actually STAY there!