Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suddenly much fewer calories earned for steps

elinjons
elinjons Posts: 11 Member
I have been using my fitbit for almost two years, and keeping a food diary with MyFitnessPal app. I walk 10000 steps a day. Last year that number of steps would earn me over 300 calories, but this year I notice a big change. My 10000 steps only give me 82 calories deduction. Surely that cannot be right. Has anyone else experienced this? Have I maybe accidentally changed a setting somewhere? Thank you

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2017
    Check your MFP activity level. If you're set at 'active' you'll pretty much break even with 10,000 steps. I'm guessing you were on 'lightly active' if you had a 300 calories adjustment.
  • elinjons
    Thanks, but it is set on lightly active, so that is not it. Strange.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    It's not you -- it's MFP. MFP has not been syncing properly with Fitbit for about two weeks. Mine went from giving me very few calories (despite days with more than 10,000 steps -- I got 72 calories for a day when I was on a treadmill for 40 minutes, did an hour of yoga, plus 20 minutes of strength training) to absolutely nothing. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting MFP and Fitbit from both sides (the recommended fix), but nothing. In fact, I've tried manually entering my exercise calories and it is subtracting them from my allowed calories, rather than adding them. There are several threads on MFP's failure to sync with Fitbit and MFP's failure to respond to users or do anything to fix the problem. I'm actually now trying another calorie tracking app because I'm so frustrated.
  • elinjons
    Thank you, good it is not me. Disconnecting did not work for me either, and my second fitness tracker will not connect to MFP. I also tried another calorie counter, but it was American, and only had US foods. Frustrating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Make sure that your fitbit shows in the 'steps' option on MFP. It doesn't show up on my desktop but it does on the app for some reason.
  • elinjons
    Yes, it does, and it is the same number of steps shown on my second device, a Microsoft Band, (which does not sync with MFP). I have changed my activity to very light, as I am not that active, and also the show negative calorie setting, and todays 82 cal adjystment has gobe up to 255. Maybe I am fixed.