The Problem with Dairy for PCOS

Options
MariahMichaels
MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
http://pcosdiva.com/2014/05/the-problem-with-dairy/

Guest Post by Dr. Lara Briden, ND

For some of you, dairy is inflammatory, and a big problem for PCOS. For a lucky few of you, organic dairy is probably OK.

The problem with dairy is not the lactose, or the fat. The problem is a protein called A1 casein. When A1 casein hits your digestion, a part of it breaks off to become casomorphin or BCM7. Casomorphin is an opiate, just like morphine is an opiate, or codeine. Casomorphin is a drug, which is why it causes brain-fog in some people, and why so many people crave dairy.

There’s more to casomorphin than its sedative effect. Casomorphin also causes inflammation, and inflammation is exactly what you don’t want when you have PCOS. Inflammation impairs insulin sensitivity, and damages the hormone-signalling of ovulation. Inflammation also makes hormone receptors overly sensitive to androgens like testosterone.

Here is where it gets interesting. Some people digest and excrete casomorphin before it enters their blood stream. Those lucky people don’t suffer the inflammation of casomorphin, and can enjoy organic dairy as a healthy food. The rest of us need to get casomorphin out of our diet.

How do you know if casomorphin is a problem for you? In theory, you could test BCM7 in your urine, but – as of yet- that test is not widely available. Another way to detect a casomorphin problem is to look for symptom clues:

– Did you suffer recurring tonsillitis or ear infections when you were a kid?

– Do you suffer chronic hayfever or sinus now?

– Do you crave dairy?

If you answered yes to any or all of these problems, then you probably have a casomorphin problem.

Not all cows produce A1 Casein

A1 casein is present in the milk from Holstein cows, which are the predominant dairy herds in USA, Canada, Australian and the UK. A different type of casein – called A2 casein – does not form casomorphin BCM7, and does not cause inflammation. The milks of Jersey cows, goats and sheep, are predominantly A2, and are fine for most people. Cheeses like Ricotta are ok, because they are mostly whey protein. Butter is Ok because it is mostly fat.

I switch many (not all) of my PCOS patients to Jersey, goat or sheep dairy, and they do very well. The first thing to improve is their acne, usually within a few weeks.

Other PCOS symptoms also improve off A1 dairy, but they take a little longer, usually 3-4 months. In fact, any good treatment for PCOS takes 3-4 months because that is how long it takes for a follicle to develop all the way to ovulation. It’s a 100 day journey to ovulation, and the journey cannot start until inflammation ends.

Anti-Inflammatory approach for PCOS

After 18 years of treating PCOS, I am convinced that inflammation is the major underlying cause for many types of PCOS. It is not the cause for every type. Some types of PCOS are caused by post-Pill syndrome. Some types are caused by leptin or a thyroid problem. In my clinic, I use blood tests to differentiate types of PCOS, and inflammation is one of the things that I measure.

Going forward with an anti-inflammatory approach, it is important to understand that A1 casein is just one source of inflammation. Inflammation also comes from gluten, sugar, environmental toxins, and intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Intestinal permeability is usually the result of antibiotics and/or the birth control pill.

Lara Briden is a Naturopathic Doctor with a busy women’s health practice in Sydney, Australia. She has a strong science background, and worked as an evolutionary biologist before qualifying as a Naturopathic Doctor from Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto in 1997.

Over the last 2 decades, thousands of women have entrusted Lara with their thyroid disease, PCOS and other hormonal conditions. She is incredibly grateful for that clinical experience because it has taught her which natural treatments actually work for PCOS and other hormonal conditions.

Lara is passionate about helping women to reclaim their hormonal health. She blogs her ‘Search for Truth in Natural Medicine’ at Lara Briden’s Healthy Hormone Blog (http://www.larabriden.com/). Follow her there, and watch for her book about period health later this year. Lara lives in Sydney with her husband and teenage stepdaughter.

Replies

• stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great stuff! I have learned so much from the expert interviews over at www.pcosdiva.com. Now if only I could find out where I could buy Jersey cow milk...
  • MariahMichaels
    Options
    stacicali wrote: »
    Great stuff! I have learned so much from the expert interviews over at www.pcosdiva.com. Now if only I could find out where I could buy Jersey cow milk...

I've been searching for dairy products from Jersey cows, I found one company called Promised Land. I have not tried it yet, but plan to buy some soon. I'm especially interested to try their heavy whipping cream.

http://www.promisedlanddairy.com/find-us/find-a-store/
  • tamweiss
    tamweiss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've started to have a craving for ice cream. once I start eating it, it's really hard to stop. thinking of the dairy products as being as addictive as an opiate can explain a lot! I guess it's best to stay away completely.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Does she link to any sources why organic dairy changes how we digest it or does she have a citation list for the article? I didn't see any sources listed on her original article from the link provided so I'm cautious to trust this information.

Since ND's are big proponents of homeopathy which has been massively disproven among the medical community, I tend to be a bit skeptical on their treatment claims.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I once went dairy-free (and gluten-free) for 6 weeks and really didn't notice any changes. I am dealing with a lot of allergy/sinus issues now though. Might be worth another try? I do looove cheese, and heavy cream in my coffee, and CarbSmart ice cream.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    Does she link to any sources why organic dairy changes how we digest it or does she have a citation list for the article? I didn't see any sources listed on her original article from the link provided so I'm cautious to trust this information.

Since ND's are big proponents of homeopathy which has been massively disproven among the medical community, I tend to be a bit skeptical on their treatment claims.

Fair questions.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    stacicali wrote: »

If you're in the midwest US, Snowville Creamery has gotten their herd tested and are officially entirely A2/A2.
  • MariahMichaels
    Options
    I wanted to update on how things are going with avoiding diary from Holstein cows (A1 casein). I've switched to using goat & sheep cheeses because they contain A2 casein and I've also tried Jersey Cow milk, I'm happy to report that my acne has improved greatly. I've very hopeful that once I'm able to completely stop eating any dairy that contains A1 casein that my skin will continue to improve and I won't feel like I have to wear makeup every day anymore.
  • MariahMichaels
    Options
    tamweiss wrote: »
    I've started to have a craving for ice cream. once I start eating it, it's really hard to stop. thinking of the dairy products as being as addictive as an opiate can explain a lot! I guess it's best to stay away completely.

I found a company called Billy Goat Ice Cream Company, I've only tried their dark chocolate and salted caramel flavors, my favorite is the dark chocolate so far. I found them at Crest and even at some Walmart stores. They do have a website to search for local suppliers in your area.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    tamweiss wrote: »

I found a company called Billy Goat Ice Cream Company, I've only tried their dark chocolate and salted caramel flavors, my favorite is the dark chocolate so far. I found them at Crest and even at some Walmart stores. They do have a website to search for local suppliers in your area.

@MariahMichaels - Thanks for the heads up... I might try this. There are two stores in my area that might have it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Jeni's Ice Cream, while a bit pricey, uses Snowville milk and comes in a variety of bold flavors. I've also found a number of ice creams in Kroger's "natural" section. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yikes, the BG Ice Cream is almost $7 for a quart container!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yikes, the BG Ice Cream is almost $7 for a quart container!

If it's anything like Jeni's (which runs $10/quart), it's rather worth it. It's rich enough that you neither need nor want more than a little bit. A single quart goes farther than the larger containers of the cheap stuff.
  • anum1994
    anum1994 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have sinuses as well and i only add milk for my breakfast in cornflakes and tea as well. Are there other ways to eat a healthy breakfast. I need to stop taking dairy products as it is giving me acne. And i gained 2 pounds as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Switch to eggs cooked in coconut or olive oil. Make an omelette or something. The nutrient density in eggs, as well as the satiation factor make them an incredible breakfast option! Meat or not, nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on scrambled eggs to mimic "cheese" flavor, etc.

P.S. Remember that ANY meal can be eaten at ANY time. It's only in our heads that meal times require specific foods. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I agree eggs are a good option, although I'm not a big egg consumer myself. Lately I've been making my own breakfast sausage. It's really easy to make patties with ground meat of your choice and some herbs. Here's a recipe I like: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/228080/homemade-paleo-style-breakfast-sausage/ I've made it with both turkey and chicken. Starting off the day with solid protein seems to set me up really well. I'll combine sausage with a scallion pancake (Trader Joe's), stir-fried tomatos/garlic/onion, or with oatmeal.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Switch to eggs cooked in coconut or olive oil. Make an omelette or something. The nutrient density in eggs, as well as the satiation factor make them an incredible breakfast option! Meat or not, nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on scrambled eggs to mimic "cheese" flavor, etc.

P.S. Remember that ANY meal can be eaten at ANY time. It's only in our heads that meal times require specific foods. :)

Thanks for mentioning this; I remember nutritional yeast being recommended in the Wahls book I read so I bought some when I came across it at Trader Joe's but have yet to use it. (I have issues; I still haven't gotten around to trying my inositol!)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've gone dairy free now for 17 days not noticed any difference and feel my acne and cramps have gotten worse, is it a case of it gets worse before it gets better? I was gonna try totally eliminating dairy for 6 weeks and then trying to reintroduce sheeps/goats cheese, I'm sure eliminating dairy or at least cow dairy may help some people but I'm starting to suspect it's not doing anything for me maybe it only works if you are already lactose intolerant or allergic. :( Gutted. I'll keep at it for a little longer but would have thought there'd be a little improvement by now. For those who've seen positive results how long before you got them?
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've gone dairy free now for 17 days not noticed any difference and feel my acne and cramps have gotten worse, is it a case of it gets worse before it gets better? I was gonna try totally eliminating dairy for 6 weeks and then trying to reintroduce sheeps/goats cheese, I'm sure eliminating dairy or at least cow dairy may help some people but I'm starting to suspect it's not doing anything for me maybe it only works if you are already lactose intolerant or allergic. :( Gutted. I'll keep at it for a little longer but would have thought there'd be a little improvement by now. For those who've seen positive results how long before you got them?[/quote

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, dairy free does not work for me either. I've been with a registered dietitian who knows a significant amount about PCOS and she's in full support of me continuing to consume dairy for the actual benefits of it. Any time I gave up dairy, I ended up miserable and feeling worse. I don't suffer from acne, and have never found a connection between food and my skin (only water and my skin). Remember, nothing is a one size fits all solution!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I find that I have more issues with softer cheese that harder ones - so maybe I'm more a casein person and less a whey person?

I do know several folks who've noticed improvements without dairy, but if you have multiple triggers, @animatorswearbras , it is definitely possible that you'd need to remove all gluten, dairy, and soy (among others) BEFORE you notice the difference from being dairy free.... Also please check labels and such to make sure you aren't being accidentally dairied by a food with an additive.