PCOS and me

Options
Hi everyone, I have been dealing with PCOS since I was 14 (so approximately for 10 years). I did great in keeping my body in check when I was in high school, but once I graduated, everything changed and I don't know where to go from here. I have been overweight for 5 years now and need to get healthy again.

What types of diets work for you, and do any of you recommend supplements or different products to help with the emotional eating that I end up going through.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. I know I can't do this on my own and I'm finally strong enough to reach out for help

Cortney

Replies

• stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hi Cortney - mid-twenties is when I started having trouble managing my PCOS too. First, do you have a good dr? The reason I ask is because you are going to need a medical professional who knows what they're doing with PCOS looking out for you. I personally have an integrative internal med dr monitoring my blood work every 4 months. Others have had great luck with endocrinologists. Of specific importance is monitoring fasting blood glucose (anything over 95 is cause for concern) since 40% of PCOS women become diabetic by age 40. Many of us are on Metformin to control the insulin resistance that can contribute to PCOS weight gain. As far as diet, an anti-inflammatory diet like Paleo is recommended. If you choose to go low-carb, don't necessarily go extreme low carb (under 75 grams of carb per day) unless issues with your thyroid (also common with PCOS) have been ruled out. Many PCOSers have good results by avoiding gluten and dairy, but maybe work up to that so that you don't feel too restricted. The food cravings/hunger rage I felt faded dramatically when I switch to a Low Carb High (good - olive oil, nuts, Omega 3) Fat diet. A great website I like is www.pcosdiva.com for information. You don't have to buy the meal plans. Just click on menu and go to expert interviews which are free. The best take-always for me were that PCOS is associated with inflammation (so heal your gut with probiotics and anti-inflammatory foods) and insulin resistance. I have found several supplements helpful: myo-inositol (I use Jarrow brand from Amazon), alpha lipoic acid (I use Simply Natures Pure from Amazon), krill oil (Now brand from Amazon), Super Enzymes (Now brand, Amazon), Magnesium (Innovix Labs, Amazon), and b-complex (Garden of Life, Amazon). When I struggle with cravings, I've found that PGX fiber pills (Amazon) help.
  • cortneyfoote1
    cortneyfoote1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the response. I currently do not have a doctor that has been on the same track as me. The last time that I saw a doctor was about a year ago and I asked her about PCOS weight management and also about metformin and she was like well you just have to eat healthy and we don't know if that would work for you, but we will give it to you anyways to try. They didn't even suggest doing blood work. I have found that since I do not have an extreme case that the doctors seem to be skeptical when I walk into a new office and tell them that I have it.

I have thought about getting fiber/appetite suppressant to try to help with the cravings. And I have also thought about trying to use protein powder in a smoothie every day so that I get a little extra protein.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Low carb/high fat/adequate protein has worked best for me. I've been dealing with PCOS symptoms since I was 14, too; now 40! When I was younger, a variety of diets worked for me to lose weight (Zone Diet, Weight Watchers, Dukan Diet, etc.) but I've ended up doing LCHF the past year and a bit and it seems to work best for me, and also helped with regulating my cycles.