PTSD. Anyone else?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hi all,

I have PTSD and have just decided to get treatment for it.
The thing which has confused me most is that although these incidents, a lot of them happened 5-10 years ago I am only now really reacting in such a way. I have been numb for awhile, I feel very shut off to emotions and thought it was just my depression but they defs think it is PTSD not depression (this time). I talked about the incidents to a friend of mine and ever since that day the numb wall has broke down and in that place is now a stranger, a little girl scared for her life, broken inside.

Can anyone relate?

Replies

• hamsaurusrex
    Options
    I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 14 and then PTSD when I was 18. It's common for people with PTSD to numb themselves or block out feelings, or even memories of entire events to protect themselves until their bodies and minds feel safe enough to deal with what happened. It sounds to me like you're just ready to start the battle of going through treatment. It's a hard one, and it takes time, but in the end you'll wind up feeling a lot more real.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm totally new here, but I just wanted to say that I can totally relate. I have been diagnosed PTSD before, and the diagnosis came five years after the event that triggered it. I thought during those five years that I had just completely shut what happened in a box and that it was as if it didn't exist. Of course, I couldn't have been more wrong, I was really just letting it eat away at me unbeknownst to me. When I suddenly started having all these depression, panic, and PTSD symptoms seemingly out of the blue, five years later, I thought I was just losing my mind.

Hamsaurusrex is right, I think it's just your body and spirit telling you that it's ready to heal. Trust yourself, hang in there, and know that what you're experiencing is totally normal for us PTSDers.
  • iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hey, please know you are very normal, I developed PTSD for incidents which happened as much as 15 years back. I have faced depression , anxiety, panic and everything which comes with it. But there is ray of hope I feel after getting professional therapy. Maybe that will help you to come over such things not totally but you will know how to limit such emotions and just goon auto pilot mode. Sending you love and hugs. Fellow surviving PTSD sufferer