Multiple Sclerosis & Exercise

Options
ditditdee
ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
I have MS. My MS gets particularly aggravated when my body temperature rises, which obviously poses a conundrum when trying to exercise for weight loss and overall health - which is especially important to slow the MS progression. My feet go totally numb when I get too warm. Add that to my already existing balance issues from the MS, and if I get on an elliptical, treadmill, etc. - anything involving standing, really - and it's a recipe for a broken limb.

Here's my question: other than water exercise/swimming and stationary bikes, what cardio options do I have that won't leave me on crutches?

Note: I live in Tennessee, so extended outdoor exercise in the summer is out. I have a prescribed cooling vest, and it's better than nothing, but I still get the numb feet issue, though to a lesser degree. I've talked to my Dr., and he's given me no restrictions, just FYI.

Replies

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Rowing? Perhaps either on a machine or I have friends who live in Chattanooga and enjoy sea kayak ing on the Tennessee River. Have you ever tried wearing white cooling arm sleeves? They keep the sun off, cool if you get them wet, and if it's really hot, put ice in the top. Mine are made by Craft and they are great on hot Atlanta days. Best wishes for finding a solution.
  • ditditdee
    Options
    I'm really only asking because I know I'll get bored with the stationary bike eventually. At the moment, I like it, but that may change. Thanks for the idea!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, indoor exercise is boring. I'm a big fan of podcasts and my library has a great selection of audiobooks which really helps.
  • cacweaver
    cacweaver Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi ditditdee, I have Mitochondrial Myopathy which is very similar to MS. I also struggle with temperature regulation. This may not be what you want to hear, but I have given up on cardio exercises. I feel so awful after completing them, usually for days, that I have decided to only do mild weight training and stretching. And of course limiting my calories. Building muscle helps increase your resting metabolism. Hope this different perspective helps.
  • ditditdee
    Options
    I do *okay* for now. I may need to revisit this issue as the disease progresses and the symptoms get worse. I may look into a water aerobics class. I think there's even a water zumba class nearby as well. Thanks for your input everyone!
  • kazinmich
    kazinmich Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bought a waterpak back pack that saves me! Bicycling outside with it is amazing! I also have been hiking and playing disc golf more. I still have to be careful though and do things in rounds/ limits to about 2 miles at a time.

My right toe is the first thing that goes numb saying I need a day of rest. If I don't listen, I will end up in bed for a few days.

I also notice I can push myself a little more at times, but now know that when I get to a certain point of exertion I must stop, wait or quit. If not I start getting a black out, my face is so red it turns purple, and most embarrassing of all I pee my pants a lil. So I have learned to listen to my body.

Stay very hydrated
    Get a neck cooler
    Get a neck fan
    Get tek shirts/rapid dry, they are awesome. I won't do anything that might make me swear without one. I even found a few dressier ones at Kohls and tjmax that I can wear to picinics and dinner etc.
  • rachelandrew398
    Options
    I have MS also and temperature/balanace issues. Go at a pace you are comfortable at. I dont touch an eliptical trainer but can manage the treadmill. I have been seeing a PT who knows a fair bit about the struggle of a MS patient. Strenth training helps as well as balance sessions. then you can worlk up slowly to Cardio. Its taken me 6 months to loose 7kgs but ive lost just over 100cms. Keeping your mind strong and healthy helps so much too. Listen to pod casts etc. You can do it! Also all of the above! :-) good luck!