How are you handling meal times as a large family?

Options
hmeskool4
hmeskool4 Posts: 8 Member
One of the things that I've found difficult in the past is my crew has not wanted to eat the same as I'm eating so I was always cooking 2 different meals. Their and ours.

This time around, I've started to shift into a paleo type diet cutting out all grains and for a time dairy. Definitely no sugars. I am starting to feel better and have lost my cravings for junk food, I don't even care for it anymore, but I can't afford to feed 10 other people this way.

I do feed my crew much healthier and follow the "Super Healthy Kids" menu for them. My biggest difference this time around is that I have my sons cooking all of the meals with my 14 year old managing the kitchen during meal times. I just go in and fix mine. This has helped me stay on track a lot easier as my workload is so much smaller! During summer break, I'm going to teach the girls to cook and turn the kitchen over to my 18 year old to manage for the year.

It has worked so incredibly well for me, wish I would have taken the time to do this years and years ago!!!!

Replies

• Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Well 4 of mine have left home so it is a bit easier. My husband works really early morning so his main meal is a midday. I have a child with special needs and sensory stuff going on so he only eats certain things. I do my other kid's meals and then mine. I am going paleo too have to also cut dairy which makes it harder. I don't have any really young ones anymore so it's not as difficult as it once was so there is only 7 of us now.
  • hmeskool4
    Options
    I have found my most difficult struggle in going paleo is no cheese. I didn't know life or meals without cheese existed and am still craving it frequently but learning to be satisfied without. Sounds like you spend a lot of time in the kitchen taking care of your family. That's AWESOME!!! It is so much work having a child with sensory issues with food. I can remember so many days that something as simple as 1 little piece of lettuce or carrot would sit in my daughter's mouth forever while she drueled and refused to chew or swallow. I am blessed to be past those days withe all of my kids now.

Have you been doing paleo for long?
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have been doing paleo on and off for a while and am slowly easing into it this time. I have autoimmune disease and I am in a flare at the moment so I am going to start once I get the food together. I am going to do the 30 reset which is an autoimmune diet and even more restrictive for 30 days then you start to add in foods and test them to see if they affect me. I did this a year or two back and it really helped but wasn't eating enough. So am going to use MFP to keep me on track. The hardest thing is getting enough carbs as I struggle going too low carb and need about 150gms. With my son we tried to make him eat healthy but when he just wouldn't eat for days it became a matter of just having him eat, so his diet is not great but his weight is good now. He is 13 now and is slowly adding things to his diet so it is improving slowly.
  • hmeskool4
    Options
    Your son is sooo incredibly blessed to have a mom who is keeping such an AWESOME balance with helping him with his sensory issues and keeping him eating as healthy as possible. I know what a handful it can be!