Endomondo, Strava or something else

Options
susanp57
susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
For those who use a phone as a computer, which app are you using? Why?

I've used Endomondo for a long time but was just wondering.

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Strava... because it's what we use for the Cycling Challenges ;)
  • susanp57
    Options
    Thanks. I dl'd Strava yesterday and will be giving it a try on Tuesday. Sadly for me, my bluetooth HRM has given up the ghost so that part won't be tested.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think Endo is better at tracking workouts, or that's been my experience. But Strava's more recent updates have it pretty good now, plus most social things and challenges are on Strava, so I typically stick with Strava.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably use the Wahoo Fitness app. Haven't used Endomondo in many years but the Strava app isn't great as a bike computer. Wahoo Fitness has the benefits of being configurable, flexible, connecting to basically any sensor(s), and when the ride is done you have a selection of different platforms you can upload to right from the app (Strava, Training Peaks, et al).

All that being said, at this point phones still don't make great bike computers in my opinion. Battery life being the biggest problem, with unreliability (for a variety of reasons) being the the other. Your mileage may vary, of course.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Strava. If you're using a phone instead of a Garmin, you should be using Strava. That's the full story. You can use other apps too if you want to but you should be using Strava.

Why? PRs. How today's ride compared against your historical base line. Are you improving?

That feature works better the more of your data is in Strava. So, for your sake, just use it from the start.

Personally, I use a Garmin.
  • susanp57
    Options
    Thanks. Though it won't be from the start. I bought my road bike in 05.

I settled on endomondo when my old Garmin 305 gave up the ghost. I've been off the bike, first due to an injury, then laziness, then illness. Happily the decks are clear now (If i haven't just jinxed myself). I just thought I would see what is what now.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a Strava user for data analysis, and Edge 820 for getting that data. The Edge doesn't work with my Kurt trainer (Kurt doesn't do ANT+), but that's getting replaced in the fall anyway, so no worries there.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yeah Strava all the way. There is also a huge community of bikers on there and you can see how well you are doing compared to others. It really helps you push yourself to ride harder
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Strava for the "social platform" and for all the CycLeagues challenges that @Jakess1971 and I run.

Garmin head unit for the recording - 520 at the moment, I bought 2 weeks before the 820 came out and slightly rue my hastiness, but not enough to go spend more money on the 820...

4iiii Precision for the Power recording on the Roadbike, Stages mk1 for the Crossbike

and GoldenCheetah for the analysis.

... oh yes, and TrainingPeaks for the Physio to keep track of my training efforts online.

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Strava for the "social platform" and for all the CycLeagues challenges that @Jakess1971 and I run.

Garmin head unit for the recording - 520 at the moment, I bought 2 weeks before the 820 came out and slightly rue my hastiness, but not enough to go spend more money on the 820...

4iiii Precision for the Power recording on the Roadbike, Stages mk1 for the Crossbike

and GoldenCheetah for the analysis.

... oh yes, and TrainingPeaks for the Physio to keep track of my training efforts online.

This is pretty close to how I do things, which is why I suggested Wahoo Fitness app in my earlier post. I think at this point in time a phone is a pale imitation of a dedicated bike computer, but if you're going to use a phone I think the Wahoo app does a better job of imitating an on-bike computer than the strava app, and then you can dump the data from it to Strava and a bunch of other web platforms as well. All the benefits of using Strava, Training Peaks, and others without being limited to their apps while you're actually riding.

For me it's Strava for the social element, challenges, and "fun" stuff.

Garmin Edge 820 does the recording and display duties on the bike.

Road, TT, and CX bikes have Quarq Riken R power meters (missing a PM on the MTB, though I'm looking to close that little gap soon).

Garmin Connect is my "data clearinghouse" as my Edge uploads there and data is automatically forwarded on to Strava and TrainingPeaks. I don't do much with the data on GC.

TrainingPeaks is my workout calendar and planner, and I use it for basic analysis. It also contains my reference Performance Management Chart.

Golden Cheetah is my deep analysis and comparison tool. Truthfully, if Golden Cheetah had a calendar view like TrainingPeaks with the ability to put workouts in ahead of time and see projections of CTL ramp rates and the like, I'd probably stop using TrainingPeaks altogether.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Strava for me too! I like the PRs for when I'm riding by myself, and it seems like a lot of people I've run into on casual rides are using it. A couple of times I've even ended up friending people riding in a group with me because one or the other of us forgot to turn the app on. I even recently upgraded to premium to play with the training programs.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've used Endo for the past 2-3 years now and have always been happy with it. I've thought of switching to Strava but now all my past records are in Endo and I like using the historical data. I have considered Strava or a Garmin, but not sure which would be a better replacement for me. If I was to switch it would be for battery life and reliability. I guess if that is the reason to switch the Garmin would be better as I would have to use Strava on my phone just like I do Endo.
  • susanp57
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I did a test run with Strava last night. Seems good though I did not have my new HRM yet. I have already been followed by a friend who lives about 50 miles away.

ETA: I noticed you can download your track & info at the end of a ride. What can this be uploaded to and where is a how to to do it?
  • susanp57
    Options
    So I've been messing with Strava though the weather is being less than cooperative around here. The one thing I don't like about it is that heart rate is not included in basic data. I may go ahead and pay for a year of premium. I'll do the free trial first, of course.

Sunday I rode two segments without realizing it. I hit 9th on one and 5th on the other. Felt pretty chuffed since I didn't know they were there.
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Been using strava for close to 3 years now, it's definitely help me keep interest in cycling and it's great to see the progress I've made within that time.
  • Theo_Mellis
    Theo_Mellis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've used them all.

Strava is my choice.

Also remember Garmin partnered with Strava, that speaks volumes.