We have been given a tool so lets use it.

Options
:bigsmile: I don't know about the rest of you but I plan on losing the last of my baggage by following the rules of the pouch. In other words, I have had gastric bypass surgery for a reason: to get healthy, to lose the excess weight and keep it off so that I can live a long, healthy life.

My surgery wasn't just for a quick and easy weight loss, as we all know that it wasn't easy by any means. Those of us who have been successful after gastric bypass need to count our blessings and use our pouch as a tool to continue to keep the weight off.

IDEAL MEAL PROCESS (rules of the pouch):

1. The patient must time meals five hours apart or the patient will get too hungry in between.
2. The patient needs to eat finely cut meat and raw or slightly cooked veggies with each meal.
3. The patient must eat the entire meal in 5-15 minutes. A 30-45 minute meal will cause failure.
4. No liquids for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours after each meal.
5. After 1 ½ to 2 hours, begin sipping water and over the next three hours slowly increase water intake.
6. 3 hours after last meal, begin drinking LOTS of water/fluids.
7. 15 minutes before the next meal, drink as much as possible as fast as possible. This is called “water loading.” IF YOU HAVEN’T BEEN DRINKING OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS, THIS ‘WATER LOADING’ WILL NOT WORK.
8. You can water load at any time 2-3 hours before your next meal if you get hungry, which will cause a strong feeling of fullness.

I hope these rules of the pouch will be helpful.

Replies

• coderlaury
    coderlaury Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed a reminder. It's been 10 years for me. I had at least 190 pounds I wanted to lose. Lost 90 pounds, had a foot injury, got married, had foot surgery 2 years later, and now 5 years post-op have gained 50 pounds. Hoping to get motivated in restarting this journey, so your post is very much appreciated! Thanks again!
  • rejeannelavallee
    Options
    This is a good reminder for me too! I Had gastric bypass one year ago... weight was 297 now 177 and close to goal weight of 160 lbs. There is no bariatric support group in my area so I joined TOPS a few months before surgery. I record all my food intake and exercise regime daily. taking in 900- 1200 calories daily. Had blood work done and everything is fine. I guess now the biggest battle is the weight maintenance program.
  • cvalentino2
    cvalentino2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The rules are great. I am 8 years post-GBS and have maintained most of my weight lost. Before surgery, my goal weight was 160 #. I've been as low as 147, but usu weighed 150-155.
    This past holiday season, I gained weight & have struggled to lose any of it. Today, I weigh 164#. At first, I broke all the rules. Poor choice of foods & snacking, my biggest downfalls. Thank God, I am exercising. But 2 weeks of being conscious about my intake, I realized I need to be more focused. Intake & output. Crazy, but was actually not getting enough calories in. So, back to the rules for me. Being this far out, I also think to know the actual calories taken in & burned will help me even more. My biggest challenge: No drinking while eating. BUT: I recall what a difference it made. I wish all of us good luck on our lifelong journey with getting back on track. (I remember, being told in one of our support groups meetings long ago, that maintenance was more challenging than losing the original weight. Now I know it is the truth.)
  • janiraye
    janiraye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will be 4 yrs post gastric bypass in October. It was the best thing I have done. My diabetes type 2 was out of control; I was taking more and more insulin and gained up to 275 at my highest. I lost down to 165 but have got back up to 172. My goal, for now, is 150. So I know I need to get a better grip on my health. I walk a lot and am active. My worse habit is snacking and experience tells me if I don't keep track of it, I can lie to myself. I would welcome any ideas and recipes that fit our high protein plans. 🌻
  • janiraye
    janiraye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of water-loading. My dietician and my written plans do not mention that. Why do you do it?