Post Sleeve More Than A Year? I Need Your Help!

Options
Hi- I had my surgery 6-5-14 and lost 90 pounds but now I'm creeping back up again (10 pounds). I go to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) to weigh in weekly. Their program isn't really made for people who have had weight loss surgery but the face time emotional support really helps. It's scary to gain weight now. I hear all the pre-weight loss nay sayers saying "You'll just gain it all back just like every other WLS person I know." I've let sweets and other stuff creep in. Some of the binging is coming back too. It's scary. Coming back to MyFitnessPal is a step in the right direction. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• MillieA53
    MillieA53 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue! I had my surgery in Dec of 2013 and kept off 80 lbs until this last Oct,. when I hurt my ankle and could not walk anymore. Gained 10 lbs from emotional eating and no exercise. I am ok now and have started walking but the pounds are not coming off. I got some advice from another "sleever". It is not so much of a of a food diary, but a scheduler. Set yourself with the times of day you are allow yourself to eat. i,e breakfast 8:30 a.m. snack 10:30 am Lunch 1:00 pm, etc. Then have a list of foods to choose from and choose only those foods. I have only begun on Monday so I will let you know how it works. Please update me if you find something that works. Would love some advice too! Thanks!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,699 Member
    Options
    My surgery was June 2013. Lost 175 pounds, which was too much, and deliberately gained 10# back. But then it kept sneaking up and by last September had ended up gaining 30#! At that point my clothes were becoming too tight so I really knuckled down: tracking, weighing, drinking, vitamins, protein, the works.

Especially I need to stay away from my trigger foods. The longer I can do that, the easier it gets. For me, that's high glycemic index carbs (easily digested, highly processed, for example bread, sigh...) and eat corn, beans, rice, oats whole-grain, etc instead. Protein helps me have energy and feel full. Drinking lots of water helps too.

I've lost five pounds and am working on the other fifteen. I'd be happy with a pound a month.

I'm doing exercise challenges here on MFP. Can't run but can walk (when weather permits) and do lots of inside workouts, like planks, wall pushups, dumbbells, TRX, etc. Or even just walking around the house for 15 minutes...
  • lorit1394
    lorit1394 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look for Back On Track. It is a program the helps you reset your sleeve and then shakes during the day and a protien and vegetable at night for dinner. So many are having great success.
  • WeightlossTraveler653
    Options
    Fast forward to present 2018. I posted at the top on 2-25-16 and had only gained 10 pounds....I wish that were the case today. This is a real journey keeping the weight off, keeping healthy and positive. I’m under 200# now, was as high as 217. Have I learned ANYTHING?!!!
    1. Be kind to yourself.
    2. Get Weekly weigh ins and solid emotional support through an organized group be it TOPS, Weight Watchers or Bariatric Groups (others you’ve found?) Ongoing emotional support says Kaiser Permanente is the number one predictor of weight loss and maintenance success.
    3. Eliminate or drastically reduce consumption of added sugar, hidden sugar and sugary drinks (even artificial sweeteners which your body processes like sugar). If it’s white, reduce or eliminate your consumption of it.
    4. HIGH SUGAR CONSUMPTION FEEDS INFLAMMATION. CANCER LOVES SUGAR AND IT MULTIPLIES HAPPILY IN ITS PRESENCE. (I found this out last year when my girlfriends breast cancer returned and she put up a good fight but sadly, lost. Top oncologists at Stanford Medical Hospital and San Francisco Medical Center emphasis was on a high fiber, low sugar, whole grain, Whole Foods diet.
    5. Weekly cardio and strength training will pay-off big time when you’re as old as I am (70). Where there’s a will there’s a way even though yours knees are shot and your doggies are barking.
    6. Being on MyFitness Pal and reading stories, having buddies hearing and seeing others viewpoints is mining gold for your healthy future.