long runs and GI issues

Options
AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
I am currently half marathon training and my Friday long weekly run is now up to 10 miles. For the past two weeks, my stomach has started cramping at mile 9. The cramps persist for several hours. Causes? Suggestions?

I usually eat a banana 30-60 minutes before heading out and put diluted sports drink in my hydration belt. This combo has never bothered my stomach before but maybe I need to change?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    That's tough to answer since everyone is different. Through trial and error (many errors :D ) I have figured out what works for me.

One thing that I know for certain will upset my stomach is too much water or sports drink. When it gets warmer I have a habit of over hydrating and paying for it around mile 15-18. I now do a very careful balancing act of getting enough fluid without causing pain.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    dump the banana to begin and see if that helps. Bananas can cause or at least help along bowel movements in many people. Running can also help move the bowels, so it can be a bad combination. Also pay attention to the amount of fiber you are eating the day before your long runs. Too much can cause these problems.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have had long run GI problems ever since I started running 5 years ago. I don't get cramps, just an urgent, undeniable need to empty my bowels, which (sorry for TMI) has become almost water-like. So my issue may be different to yours.

Since the start of the year I have not really had the problem anymore. The two things I changed were the introduction of a high fibre bran cereal every morning and I drank no alcohol. I don't know which of these fixed it for me - but I just went on holidays for a couple weeks, where I skipped the bran cereal and was drinking avg 4 beers most days and the problem returned.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid any food for 2 hours prior to running. If successful, start decreasing that time by 15 minute increments on subsequent runs. Once you find that limit, then start experimenting with different foods. Perhaps a bagel. If that is successful, start decreasing the time again, this time on the new food.

You shouldn't need to fuel up for a 10 mile run, however. You have plenty of glycogen stored for that already.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to fuel up for a 10 mile run, however. You have plenty of glycogen stored for that already.

I'd say that's generally true. The exception being if you are operating at a calorie deficit, such as dieting or if you ran long the day before and haven't fully refueled.

A minor point, but I thought it worth making for anyone in those circumstances.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You can operate in a calorie deficit and still top off your glycogen if you pay attention to your macros. Just increase your percentage of carbs the day or two prior.

Someone training for a half marathon typically would not run back to back long runs so that shouldn't be an issue here.

If the 10 miles is a race, then you probably shouldn't be in a deficit for the week or two prior.
    If the 10 miles is a training run then you'll be running slower so will burn less glycogen and more fat, particularly if you're running aerobically as you should.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just to add to @7lenny7 depending on your macros in calorie deficit, you might already be getting enough carbs anyway, so your glycogen may already be fine. If you are doing caloric deficit and trying to do low carb, you might need to add in some carbs though.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I am eating at a modest deficit - most definitely NOT low carb (see profile picture LOL).

I cut out the diluted sports drink and that seems to have solved the problem. I ran 11 miles last Sunday with no issues.
  • jaleen90210
    jaleen90210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I switched to Hammer gels for long runs. They're lower in sugar than other gels. Seems to help me.