Let's be an active group! Participation highly encouraged :)

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
As much as I don't mind talking to myself, I'd love to hear the thoughts of others! Feel free to participate :)

Replies

• snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being a leader and starting a group here. You rock.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    I'm so excited to have some activity! I hope we can keep it up. Everyone is encouraged to participate and start discussions on anything horse, fitness or nutrition related :)
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I will certainly try to keep up with my part of keeping this group active.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Let's do this!!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    :) I am super excited to see that there is an active horse group!! the other ones kind of died out :/
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    I'm super excited to have everyone here! The more activity the better :smiley:
  • cessi0909
    Options
    Maybe odd but I want to ask all you riding folks-- the area on my image that I marked in red is where I'm having pain lately while riding. It's worse if I shorten my stirrups and I tend to ride with them a little long for jumping
  • cessi0909
    Options
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @cessi0909 OMG i know your pain!!!! It got so bad sometimes i had no stability in my foot and it constantly felt like it was going to give in. I replaced my old fashioned stirrups for bendy ones... strengthened my hip flexors/adductors (yes believe it or not but it was a direct cause) did one million stair lifts every day...... some days its excruciating but only once every 6 weeks ish.......
  • cessi0909
    Options
    showjumper wrote: »
    @cessi0909 OMG i know your pain!!!! It got so bad sometimes i had no stability in my foot and it constantly felt like it was going to give in. I replaced my old fashioned stirrups for bendy ones... strengthened my hip flexors/adductors (yes believe it or not but it was a direct cause) did one million stair lifts every day...... some days its excruciating but only once every 6 weeks ish.......

Thanks for the response! It like stings/burns and is SO painful! I used to get it a lot and then it stopped and now it is back, I am guessing it came back with my weight gain.
    I will pick up some bendy stirrups and work on my hip flexor/abductors as well as more stairs.
  • showjumper
    Options
    also, walk around on your heels pulling up your toes and walking more on the inside of your foot.... weird i know but if you wear heels at all then your Achilles is shortened then when you ride you are shoving your heels down in the opposite direction and they protest!
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    agreed, try bendy stirrups. These are the types of stretches I used to do when I had that issue: http://athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-pt-8-shinouter-ankle/
  • cessi0909
    Options
    Thanks to you both. I am going to use all of the suggestions. It seriously hurts and affects my riding.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @cessi0909 how has your ankle/leg pain........ did you invest in new stirrups?
  • cessi0909
    Options
    showjumper wrote: »
    @cessi0909 how has your ankle/leg pain........ did you invest in new stirrups?

Not yet but I am borrowing a pair and they are helping so I'm going to go buy some

• d2jump
    d2jump Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Late to the party here! :) I just wanted to mention, cessi0909 that I have a bad ankle due to a break, and though it's not the same problem you are having, I would also recommend looking at the MDC Ultimate stirrups. Not only are they bendy, but you can rotate them to 45º or 90º. This helps me a lot. If I drop a stirrup, I don't have to force my foot so far into the horse to pick it back up.
  • d2jump
    d2jump Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    And on to the fitness/heath aspect. I recently lost about 35 pounds and was doing really well last year. This winter I felt a few pounds creeping back, so I started back today getting on track and eating clean. Wish me luck. I want to be fit for my spring riding!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Welcome @d2jump ! Great work on the 35 lbs
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bad accident - they were going to cut off my lower leg. Years of surgeries, wheelchairs and weight gain. Kept the leg but my shin and ankle are full of metal. Took years to get some flex back. Stuff that helped me includeded tenaciously hunting for the right physio who actually researched horseback riding, yoga, yoga, yoga, longer stirrup leathers and an endurance stirrup with a wider foot base - Clouds. Foot still goes numb but it's amazing what you can put up with if you love riding. Also ended buying a new RP saddle with a higher twist so my leg hung better. Keep working at it. It will get better. If you don't try it will stay the same or get worse .... this I know from when I slack off. Enjoy your journey.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Awesome story @SharonAnderegg ! My SO and I got to see the 2017 FEI Dressage World Cup in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend. One of the demos was a para-dressage rider who lost her right leg above the knee to cancer. Truly inspiring to watch her ride movements I can't do (yet!). Stories like yours, and hers, give me no more excuses. Thank you for sharing.