running with a muscle strain (mid-back)

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
Hi all - curious to know how many of you run with specific back pain (I strained a spot in the mid-back somehow ... been a couple weeks now with ibuprofen) that can be completely alleviated with ibuprofen?

Or do you rest. Like the doctor tells you to ...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Back problems aren't to be messed with.

I would probably listen to my doctor... and see a physio.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the specific issue and what causes worsening of the symptoms. I have degenerative disc disease/herniation injury that has flared up a couple time over the past several years. For my issue, running does not cause further damage or aggravate the symptoms, so I can continue activity as guided by symptoms. Actually, in my case, walking and easy running tends to help. Sitting is more problematic.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    What is a physio? A physical therapist?

Running does not appear to exacerbate my symptoms; however, they aren't getting better either. I don't want to slow recovery, nor do I want to give up my runs. I am like a petulent child.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you should really talk to your doctor. There are a lot of things that can cause back pain, and if its been this long it should be evaluated.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've never known a serious runner to do the prudent thing when it comes to running. So you are in good company.
    I currently have a torn meniscus. I'm still running. Duh.
    But, all that said, these overuse injuries do not, and often, will not get better without rest.
    Can you mix it up? Do something different for a while? Ride a bike? Go to the gym and lift? Spin class? Yoga? Whatever?
    Allow me to make another suggestion too: Go see a sports therapist or trainer first. They'll be competent enough to tell you if you really need to see a doctor, and they will better understand where you are coming from.
    A doctor will say: You really must rest.
    A sports trainer will say: You really should rest, but since I know you won't, here are some things you can do.
    Good luck!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Great suggestion, thank you.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I imagine a sports physical therapist may not give advice when it comes to your back without a medical determination regarding what is wrong. You can call and find out, but you may need to start with a dr that can order xrays and determine the cause of the issue and go from there. I personally haven't had back issues but my husband required back surgery due to a herniated disc. I also have a friend who's husband coerced a chiropractor to work on his back without xrays because he didn't have tge money to pay for the expense. It ended up doing worse damage to his back.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor about it? From your posts it seems maybe you haven't.

A good doctor isn't going to tell you to rest it if that isn't going to help. In my case, I had a flare up a couple of weekends ago that required anti-inflammatories so I could even stand up or sit. He approved me for activity as tolerated by symptoms. I was running again in 5 days and I'm doing a 50k this coming weekend. The back doctor actually encourage activity, even if it's uncomfortable sometimes. It helps in the long term to stay active for the problems I have.

If you just strained something, it may require some rest. Or it may be something that's just uncomfortable but not a risk of injury with further use. That was the case with my patellar tendonitis and the after the knee doctor determined it was that and not some sort of cartilage issue or tear, he approved me to keep running as tolerated.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. I haven't been to the doc yet - you're right. I put this in the nagging pain column and try to save doc calls for big and word stuff, like that deep bruising and skin infection after the race - that was definitely big and weird. But you're right that the back is nothing to ignore. I've decided to give it the weekend, reducing/ eliminating ibuprofen (which I've already started doing) and see where I am Monday morning. If still pointed pain, I'll go in. Thanks for your perspectives on this!