maternity clothes/ belly band questions

Options
4legsRbetterthan2
4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
Hi Ladies,

I hope some of you more experienced mommas could give me advice on maternity clothes. I am starting to have some issues in the pants department. I got a bellyband from target (its like a sleeve that goes around your belly and holds your pants up if they aren't buttoned) and am finding that I really like that with my jeans today. I am only 16 weeks though, so obviously I still have a long way to go. Have any of you used these, and how far did they take you? Did you have to upgrade to real maternity pants in the 3rd trimester?

Also, any favorite maternity store recommendations would be appreciated. I have been trying to find stuff on sale with kholes and target, unfortunately I have pretty much struck out in my local second hand stores. I would like to not spend a fortune on a temporary wardrobe :smile:

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I like the secret belly on the Destination Maternity clothes- they stay up. This is my 6th pregnancy and have Gap, Old Navy and Destination Maternity/Motherhood, Target maternity clothes and I think Gap and Old Navy fall short on their belly bands, they're cute pants but I am always having to hike them up.
    My favorite jeans are Destination Maternity because they stay up! FWIW I didn't like the Belly Bands with my regular pants. I always did the hair band thing with my buttonholes and then just gave in and went to Maternity pants.
    I will say my Old Navy dresses and skirts are some of my faves and have been kicking around for quite some time.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with @jvezzsb01 . Destination maternity/Motherhood has better fitting stuff. At least for me. I just had my 3rd son and I like a full panel jean. Those half panel ones are no bueno for the 3rd trimester. Old Navy's maternity jeans were my least favorite. Even their full panel lacked a tight band at the top so I was always pulling them up. I did like their dresses. And the target stuff all fit weird. I never could fine even 1 shirt or pant from target that worked for me.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm on team full belly panel pants. Like the ones that come up just under your bra line. Stops you from feeling like you're always squeezing into things.
  • TheSavatron
    TheSavatron Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yup, I like the full belly panel too! The half panel always wants to slide down, and just stops at a weird place to me. Belly bands are nice for a while, but I generally get to a point that maternity clothes are wayyyy more comfortable.
    While it's a bummer not to try things on, check out the app called Mercari. I've been buying a ton of cute maternity clothes for cheap!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I heard that the belly bands essentially give you 3 months from the point where you start needing them. I bought three around the time I was 14 weeks pregnant. And then once I was 18 weeks I was just so DONE with having my pants zipper scratching my stomach that I bought some full panel maternity pants... and they were SO much more comfortable than the belly bands, even if they did slip down a bit (they're easier to put back into the right spot than the belly bands, and they stay put better now that I'm bigger). So I really wish I hadn't bought so many (got them from Motherhood Maternity - so same as Destination Maternity). I have pretty sensitive skin though, so that might not be an issue for everyone.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    H&M maternity has some decent stuff, and asos maternity (online) has some great shirts that aren't scratchy (what's with the fabric at motherhood maternity?)
  • jvezzsb01
    Options
    Yikes, I haven't bought shirts recently. :# I still have some cotton ones from my previous pregnancies.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All great tips, thanks, so much I don't know about this adventure, and I haven't even starting thinking about the fact that I have no idea how to take care of baby :wink:
  • jvezzsb01
    Options
    You will be fine. I have always felt that everything is incremental with babies. They sleep more in the beginning, maybe not when you want them to, and then they gradually stay awake more. It all works out.