been away for a little bit.

Options
CincyNeid
CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
Took a different position at work and I'm not around a computer as much. But I just wanted to check in and say I'm still here. And with a few new toys. Picked up a 2017 Cannondale CAAD12, and a Garmin Virb Ultra 30.

Hope is all with all of you. 6tpo7zkdod85.jpg
l7v5frxi1dkm.jpg
qeq6qqhqau5q.jpg
3zqcpxqzhq99.jpg
4ljf4wvvnbjc.jpg

Replies

• pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Been tempted by the Virb Ultra 30 myself. What do you think of it so far?
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I too have been tempted by the VIRB. I already have one of the first-gen VIRB cameras and I love it. I keep thinking I may pick up one of the new Ultras and relegate the existing one to "tailgunner" duty since Garmin makes it so easy to slave two cameras together.

Some VIRB vids from last racing season:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHYxtJnYemk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_aJX8Idcc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTTxHgxPQ8
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Those look awesome. I assume they're done with the Garmin editing app. In that first one, it shows what looks like a map of the race course. How did that get in there? Was that using GPS info from the Virb?
  • ntnunk
    Options
    Those look awesome. I assume they're done with the Garmin editing app. In that first one, it shows what looks like a map of the race course. How did that get in there? Was that using GPS info from the Virb?

Yes, these were all done with the Garmin VIRBEdit software. It's actually a nice little suite. The VIRB pairs with all sensors (in my case power, HR, speed, and cadence) and also uses it's own on-board GPS. In the software you can select what overlays you want based on what data is available in a given ride file. The course map is one of the standard ones. The data for that does come from the VIRB's GPS.

Personally, I find most cycling videos without data kind of boring. It's really hard to understand what's happening if all you see is the scenery moving past. With the VIRB and the VIRBEdit software it's ridiculously easy to add the data overlays and, for me at least, that provides the viewer enough context to much better understand what they're seeing. They may not know what your max power or HR numbers are, but they can see it as the effort ramps up or backs off, speed climbs and falls, and I think it makes the video much more entertaining.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    It is also possible (but a bit more of a PITA) to actually use the VirbEdit with a normal GoPro (or, as in my case, a cheap-*kitten* clone like the SJCam SJ4000 - about £50 from the bay of fleas) - and with the data from my Garmin 520 headunit and the powermeter etc, you can get something reasonably functional. Problem I've found is that with the SJ the pictures and telemetry gradually go out of sync if you use longer clips. I did a video this past weekend of some of the gravel roads and farmtracks as a "paris roubaix homage", and while it was in pretty spot on sync at the "keyframe" where I combined the 2 data sources, by 15 minutes into the frame there was a good second of out of synch issues. I'd probably assume that it's the occasional dropped frame on the Video unit, as the garmin's just recording spot readings on a per-second basis - now it the SJcam drops a frame from the 25fps it's supposed to be recording at every now and then - it's easy to build up an out of synch issue...

still good for a giggle though...

https://youtu.be/eG50MB7bVM4?t=7m20s

• ntnunk
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    It is also possible (but a bit more of a PITA) to actually use the VirbEdit with a normal GoPro
    I have an older GoPro as well and I've actually done this. Getting the data synced is a complete pain. It's possible, but it's annoying, error-prone, and tedious as all hell. That's why I love the VIRB. VIRB+VIRBEdit just make it dead simple.

Neat video by the way, though that big-a** trench in the middle of the path under that bridge at about 7:25 gives me the heeby-jeebys. That thing would ruin your day quick, fast, and in a hurry if you weren't paying enough attention.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's a bit of a 'gotcha' if you're flying at it blind or at full gas. There's actually quite a few bits that are quite technical on a cross bike with 32mm regulation width tyres, especially when I'm a good 45kg or more above racing weight ;)
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    Welcome back. Been tempted by the Virb Ultra 30 myself. What do you think of it so far?

So far I love it. It's a fantastic little camera.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, @CincyNeid!
  • CincyNeid
    Options
  • ntnunk
    Options
    Nice vid!

Going racing tonight and taking my VIRB along for the ride. Hopefully I'll get some cool footage.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

Here's another one I threw together

https://youtu.be/PQlsb1JSeqc