Gardening

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
As per a suggestion by @bebeisfit :)

My mom LOVES gardening, and it's a great way to get super fresh produce with no pesticides.

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My hubs LOVES to garden, but hasn't been able to for the last 5 or so years. He recently installed a grow light about our kitchen sink so I can grow my own herbs. I'm looking forward to having an indoor herb garden. I might even consider trying lettuces, and sprouting beans for salads, and sandwiches.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It's spring in the Midwest, USA. Today I bought a few plants and seeds. I live in a condo with a back deck. I'll plant greens like Swiss chard, lettuce and herbs in pots. I'm going to try carrots in a container this year as well.

I'm fortunate that a friend let's me plant in her backyard. The downside is that it's 20 miles from my house..45 min drive or 90 min by train. But we've been planting for 10 years and we share the work and harvest. We also compost.

There's nothing like growing your own food. I tend to eat more vegetables mid summer because they taste so great and overall can be cheaper. There are of course up front costs for pots, soil and plants and seeds.

If you don't have a plot..consider a sunny windowsill. Some thing need more sun than others. Lettuce, parsley prefer cooler temps. Basil, tomatoes need lots of sun.

You can also try community gardens.

What,are you planting this year?
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I collect cacti, but I cannot keep anything edible alive :D
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any cruelty free tips for keeping the groundhogs and other critters away from the plants I would love to hear them. I have a small raised garden and they always get to my veggies. I surrounded it with chicken wire last year and it helped a little bit. I don't mind sharing but c'mon guys....leave some for me!
  • alybran
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »
    If anyone has any cruelty free tips for keeping the groundhogs and other critters away from the plants I would love to hear them. I have a small raised garden and they always get to my veggies. I surrounded it with chicken wire last year and it helped a little bit. I don't mind sharing but c'mon guys....leave some for me!

Okay so we've had a lot off problems with groundhogs. Unfortunately my dad is not a "cruelty-free" kind of guy (cringe), but my mom has been particularly successful keeping them out of our broccoli by making a tunnel with PVC and some kind of white cloth. I'll have to ask her exactly what it is.

This depends on the plant of course. Broccoli doesn't need as much direct light so it still grows like crazy. You just have to make sure you weight each end with bricks or something so they can't get in the tunnel. I think we had some raccoons interested one year before we started weighting the ends and we had tiny little handprints where they had lifted the cloth to get in and eat the broccoli... lol

I'll try to see if we have pictures anywhere. I'm not sure if my explanation was very clear.
  • jfp420
    Options
    That sounds very interesting. Maybe my garden center sells that fabric. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • shelbypx92
    shelbypx92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any idea how to keep the bugs off your basil without a pesticide? I'd like a natural remedy because year after year I lose my basil to the critters.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Doing a small "garden" this year on the balcony at my apartment. Most likely some herbs, greens, maybe a single pepper plant and a tomato plant if I can find a low acid variety. I don't have a lot of space and it's not the best spot when it comes to sunlight so that limits me as well.
  • Athijade
    Options
    BTW, any herb suggestions on what you all use the most?
  • shelbypx92
    shelbypx92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »

All the herbs! But I think thyme is really easy to grow, and I use it in soups a lot. I also like to grow parsley because you can just throw it in anything. Rosemary is also easy to grow and sturdy, and cilantro is a must if you eat a lot of Mexican-inspired foods like we do.

• jfp420
    Options
    I love to plant basil. Then I make pesto all summer long! I tried to plant cilantro since I use it in my guacamole but didn't have any luck with it.
  • alybran
    Options

We grow a bunch of herbs: Basil, parsley, sage, lavender, cilantro, oregano, rosemary, thyme, mint...

We have a lot of success with basil, parsley, mint, and sage. Oregano, rosemary, and thyme are the runners up. Cilantro seems to be lacking every year which is sad because I use it in everything.

I'd recommend looking at what you're cooking often and which herbs your using, but basil and parsley are definitely the two staples I'd write in pen. :)
  • Athijade
    Options
    Right now I will for sure do basil, thyme (for chicken), dill (for fish), and parsley. I have enough space to do up to 4 more. I don't eat a lot of Mexican food so will most likely skip the cilantro. I have no idea what to use mint for lol.
  • alybran
    Options
    Right now I will for sure do basil, thyme (for chicken), dill (for fish), and parsley. I have enough space to do up to 4 more. I don't eat a lot of Mexican food so will most likely skip the cilantro. I have no idea what to use mint for lol.

Mojitos! ;) JK, I make tea :)
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Parsley, basil and rosemary. I try to grow cilantro but it fails nearly every time.

Parsley in nearly everything. And it's a must for making vegetable (or ckn) stock. I make and freeze pesto with basil and add some parsley in there too. And rosemary is wonderful in potatoes & white beans.
  • jfp420
    Options
    It seems like we all have problems growing cilantro !
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    I spent the last 3 hours at my friend's house digging, turning the compost pile and planting some seeds. Carrots, spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce and arugala seeds. And celery, red cabbage, kale and cilantro plants. Fingers crossed most of it will grow. And that we get rain every few days.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Was going to plant this week, Thursday and Friday between rain drops... but just saw the forecast is calling for 30's as a low this upcoming weekend. Wah! That means it will be two weeks before I can do it since next week is crazy for me.
  • alybran
    Options
    shelbypx92 wrote: »
    Any idea how to keep the bugs off your basil without a pesticide? I'd like a natural remedy because year after year I lose my basil to the critters.

I talked to my mom today. She says the most natural deterrents are radishes (stink bugs) and marigolds. Of course that would take up real estate in your garden, but it could be worth looking into!
  • Staceyt68
    Staceyt68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    finally have the veggie garden planted, well it is mostly tomatoes :-) a couple of peppers and roman lettuce (that I will be sharing with the rabbits)