Stigmatism and trail running

Options
So, I wear glasses for a stigmatism, it isn't horrible, but it isn't mild either. I love trail running and have to wear my glasses. My question is: Can I wear contacts and would they work the same or close to my glasses. I'm afraid I'm going to break my glasses. They also make it hard to breath through my nose.

All replies welcome!!!

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Depending on the severity of your astigmatism, contacts may be miserable. I had several varieties, desperately searching for one that would work. (mine were severe to the point of disabling) The problem with most of the contacts for astigmatisms are the weights. because of the way the cornea is shaped, the contact is weighted so the rx is always in the right position. So, every time I blinked, they'd spin. The rx would spin, my vision would spin, and I couldn't get used to it. Some people have no issues, others...NOPE.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @summer21forever I have astigmatism in both eyes, one worse than the other, I'm a trail runner, and I usually wear contacts when running. I wear Proclear Toric XR and they work very well.

Check with your eye doc to see if they'll work for you and if you can get a trial pair.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I have the 1-day Acuvue Moist because I have really dry eyes as well as a fairly high astigmatism in both eyes (mine are both around -3.25 and these only go up to -2.25). I settle for the -2.25 and still see decently. I prefer glasses, so just get the 1-day for the occasions I find contacts better suited - swimming, evenings out, races, etc. I find a box of 30 lasts me a good six months. It would get pricey if I wore them every day, but since I only wear them occasionally, they are a better deal for me, especially given the comfort.

I've also tried Air Optix and Acuvue Oasys, both of which are monthly lenses and they go up higher (-2.75) so are closer for my astigmatism, but my eyes didn't like them as much. And yes, as @7lenny7 suggested, ask your doc for a trial pair if yours doesn't offer them. Mine is always happy to provide a trial pair.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I just checked my Rx.

I have -2.00 astigmatism in one eye, -3.75 in the other.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad astigmatism and have to wear glasses. I had no idea they made contacts for astigmatism! I'm going to have to look into that, as running with my glasses gets annoying, especially when it rains.
  • ejnxyz
    ejnxyz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado, and we have the O&G boyz.(Oil and Gas) Anyway, our optometrists sell very very fashionable HIGH IMPACT glasses, UNBREAKABLE, with wider rubber supports at the nose. Mine are mirrored, rose color, with RayBan sunglass color, and they change automatically light to dark. Cost me a pretty penny, but they are the bomb for skiing and running. I tried soft contacts. With the astigmatism, and the toric (weighting), when I'd blink they'd take time to settle, which could get me killed. Also they dry out and running in windy conditions, I really need to wear glasses/sun glasses at a minimum anyway.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I recently switched to a different pair of contacts. I'm now using the Biofinity and Biofinity XR (for my highly astigmatic eye). Unlike the Torics, these are meant to wear up to 7 nights continuously, so I wear them more often. They are crazy comfortable!! I can't stand wearing glasses when running (except sunglasses, oddly) so contacts are required. I've never had a problem with the contacts moving when I blink. That sounds like an issue with poor fitting.