Meat Replacements

Options

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OH! Folks! BEST burger hands down is the beyond meat burgers that are sold raw in the regular meat case at whole foods. I can't believe I forgot to share with everyone how good they are.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Quorn used to do these spicy chicken bites that were amazing but they suddenly disappeared off the shelves. Does anyone have an alternative they can recommend or a recipe they like?

I really love Amy's Kitchen burritos which come in a vegetarian and a vegan variety. I also have a recipe for my own, with kidney beans, if anyone is interested.

Morning Star has a buffalo "chicken" nugget that's not bad. My husband ate them without complaint.

I'll look out for them, thank you!

Almost bought some Tofurkey while I was in Wholefoods but I've never had it before -- thoughts? I had a friend from uni who got the same faux meat turkey joint every year for Thanksgiving that was amazing but I always forget to ask her what it was/where it was from.

I just bought a "turkey" roast, I believe it's made by Quorn. I plan on making it, then slicing it up for lunch meat next week. I'll let you know what I think. The Tofurkey, I've never tried. The price tag has shied me away. I look for all my meat replacers to be on sale, or from the outlet/banana box stores, so I don't get to pick what kind of meat replacer we eat 100% of the time.

I thought so. I think they do it in my local shop as well which is a bonus. I can't say we have a huge vegetarian selection but what we have is worth it. Although there is this one brand, Linda McCartney and I don't why she's still making stuff because her food is horrible. :astonished:

Generally unless I'm desperate to try something I will always wait for it to be on sale/reduced. Food places will try and rob you blind otherwise. Yesterday was a rare day where I actually bought more than snacks in Whole Foods and there were a few bargains to be had. Energy balls I love for 1/3 off, 1/3 off my favourite completely botantical soda (Rose Lemonade!), Amy's Kitchen ready meals for less than $2.50, which is cheaper than where I live and they do the veggie lasagne I love. Buying for one I can spend a bit more and I find Amy's Kitchen really good for when my IBS is playing up, which it is. :confounded: I probably spent the most on a chocolate bar from the brand Doisy and Dam but it sounded so interesting: white chocolate with lemon, poppy seeds and baobab.

But mostly, I just like to pop in there because they always have cans of limonata San Pellegrino for a much better price than anywhere near me and it's my mum's favourite. And lentil/quinoa crisps/chips for a better price. I didn't get any because I have some Lays (I'm pretty sure Walker's is Lays in the States) multigrain crisps/chips in my cupboard as well as a share bag of snappea crisps.

I just think it's such a shame that you can't do all of your shopping in one place because it's so bloomin' expensive. My mum always taught me to shop everyday, wherever I am, because you get the best deals that way but sometimes it can be exhausting. As I walk everywhere/use public transport, I just think of it as extra calories for food. :lol:
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Does anyone make seitan? I'd love to hear about your base recipes and cooking techniques.

Edit: wording
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Quorn used to do these spicy chicken bites that were amazing but they suddenly disappeared off the shelves. Does anyone have an alternative they can recommend or a recipe they like?

I really love Amy's Kitchen burritos which come in a vegetarian and a vegan variety. I also have a recipe for my own, with kidney beans, if anyone is interested.

Morning Star has a buffalo "chicken" nugget that's not bad. My husband ate them without complaint.

Almost bought some Tofurkey while I was in Wholefoods but I've never had it before -- thoughts? I had a friend from uni who got the same faux meat turkey joint every year for Thanksgiving that was amazing but I always forget to ask her what it was/where it was from.

I just bought a "turkey" roast, I believe it's made by Quorn. I plan on making it, then slicing it up for lunch meat next week. I'll let you know what I think. The Tofurkey, I've never tried. The price tag has shied me away. I look for all my meat replacers to be on sale, or from the outlet/banana box stores, so I don't get to pick what kind of meat replacer we eat 100% of the time.

I thought so. I think they do it in my local shop as well which is a bonus. I can't say we have a huge vegetarian selection but what we have is worth it. Although there is this one brand, Linda McCartney I don't why she's still making stuff because her food is horrible. :astonished:

Generally unless I'm desperate to try something I will always wait for it to be on sale/reduced. Food places will try and rob you blind otherwise. Yesterday was a rare day where I actually bought more than snacks in Whole Foods and there were a few bargains to be had. Energy balls I love for 1/3 off, 1/3 off my favourite completely botantical soda (Rose Lemonade!), Amy's Kitchen ready meals for less than $2.50, which is cheaper than where I live and they do the veggie lasagne I love. Buying for one I can spend a bit more and I find Amy's Kitchen really good for when my IBS is playing up, which it is. :confounded: I probably spent the most on a chocolate bar from the brand Doisy and Dam but it sounded so interesting: white chocolate with lemon, poppy seeds and baobab.

But mostly, I just like to pop in there because they always have cans of limonata San Pellegrino for a much better price than anywhere near me and it's my mum's favourite. And lentil/quinoa crisps/chips for a better price. I didn't get any because I have some Lays (I'm pretty sure Walker's is Lays in the States) multigrain crisps/chips in my cupboard as well as a share bag of snappea crisps.

I just think it's such a shame that you can't do all of your shopping in one place because it's so bloomin' expensive. My mum always taught me to shop everyday, wherever I am, because you get the best deals that way but sometimes it can be exhausting. As I walk everywhere/use public transport, I just think of it as extra calories for food. :lol:

I'm like your mom whenever I can because it is, as you say, bloomin' expensive!

I LOVE Amy's products!

Thanks for the heads up on the Linda McCartney products. Though I have never er seen them here in the States.

Whole foods is a pick, and choose place for me as well. They are CRAZY expensive!

We have a supermarket near me that has an organic, natural section. I find I do most of my shopping there when I can't find what I need at the outlet/banana box store. When that happens I often stick with the Fantastic Foods box mixes. They are relatively cheap vegetarian fare.
  • glassofroses
    Options

I thought so. I think they do it in my local shop as well which is a bonus. I can't say we have a huge vegetarian selection but what we have is worth it. Although there is this one brand, Linda McCartney I don't why she's still making stuff because her food is horrible. :astonished:

I'm like your mom whenever I can because it is, as you say, bloomin' expensive!

I LOVE Amy's products!

Thanks for the heads up on the Linda McCartney products. Though I have never er seen them here in the States.

Whole foods is a pick, and choose place for me as well. They are CRAZY expensive!

We have a supermarket near me that has an organic, natural section. I find I do most of my shopping there when I can't find what I need at the outlet/banana box store. When that happens I often stick with the Fantastic Foods box mixes. They are relatively cheap vegetarian fare.

Well AK mac'n'cheese is £3.19 locally at the moment but WF had it on sale for £1.79. If it wasn't a whole meal I wouldn't have bought it anyway because even on sale, by the time you've added veg and stuff it starts becoming too much per meal to be of any value.

We have two organic places near me and I never shop there. They try and charge you nearly £4 for almond milk when I can get Almond Breeze (my fave) for £1, £1.25 on sale. I just wish the vanilla AB was more readily available to just pick up, it's on the bus route where the buses are every 30 minutes so I can't just up and grab some. Although I do bulk buy it from Amazon Pantry (available to Prime members) when I can. AP is great for cupboard essentials, but also laundry detergent. I get a lot of my healthy snack bars from there and they're the only place that does the oat and raisin Trek (Eattrek brand) bars that I love and they're cheaper by 30p to the regular store.

Just trying to justify to myself why I want to buy cold brew from WF that is £7 for 8 servings. Mostly because it's so expensive at coffee places, but on the other hand, I already spend a bucket on coffee pods for my Tassimo. Maybe I'll get it as a treat when I reach my next goal.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    I don't know, I think buying yourself certain items, or treats is a good thing provided one does not blow their budget out of the water. It's kind of like being good to yourself. Like if your SO stopped and bought you something just because, and didn't worry about the price tag. I think we need to do that for ourselves sometimes. <3

As far as the difference in almond milk prices! WOWZA! :s

I try to have balance. I shop at the outlet/banana box store so I can get more expensive items elsewhere. I can't imagine depriving myself of dried fruits, or nuts, or a really good chocolate bar. If I didn't shop the cheap places, I would never be able to get a few specialty items each pay period.
  • alybran
    alybran Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Does anyone make seitan? I'd love to hear about your base recipes and cooking techniques.

I've only every had prepackaged. It's incredible. I'd like to make it myself sometime (mostly to cut out all the sodium omg), but I'm pretty nervous about it lol.
  • Staceyt68
    Staceyt68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    alybran wrote: »

I've only every had prepackaged. It's incredible. I'd like to make it myself sometime (mostly to cut out all the sodium omg), but I'm pretty nervous about it lol.

I ahve tried twice and still has not come out good.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Cutlets (from Post Punk Kitchen)

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup vital wheat gluten
    1 cup plain breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    More Oil for frying

Mash the chickpeas together with the oil until no whole chickpeas are left. Or pulse in food processor. Don't puree- it should not be the texture of hummus.
    Add remaining ingredients and knead together for about 3 minutes, until strings of gluten have formed.
    Divide the cutlet dough into 8 pieces. To form cutlets, knead each piece in your hand for a few moments and then flatten and stretch each one into a cutlet shape.
    Cook the cutlets in a pan with a little oil (brown on each side). When they are lightly browned and firm they are done.
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I don't have my own recipe but I've had more luck with steaming or baking seitan rather than boiling it. I actually like the chickpea cutlets from the PPK that jfp420 just posted more than traditional seitan.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    WHOA!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Chickpea cutlets!!! AWESOME!!!!!
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »
    Cook the cutlets in a pan with a little oil (brown on each side). When they are lightly browned and firm they are done.

I've never heard of frying the dough raw, I always thought that it needs to be pre-cooked by simmering, steaming or baking.

Nonetheless, this recipe sounds good, I'll be giving it a go.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    Morning Star meal starters beef strips are pretty good. :) We had them tonight. I made oven fajitas with them, and I used 50 calorie low carb tortillas. My hubs ate himself silly! I'm going to give them a thumbs up in fajitas.
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I actually attempted seitan for the first time today. It looks right, but I haven't tasted it yet. Just simmered it in veggie broth and tossed it in the fridge for tomorrow. (I'm doing korma tomorrow hopefully it turns out!)

The recipe was 6 cups all purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp salt, 1tsp onion powder (I accidentally grabbed garlic powder, but I like garlic).

Mix and knead for a long time until it looks really smooth. Cover with water, let sit for 2 hours at least. Rinse and knead until the water runs clear.

• purebredpolly
    Options
    I actually attempted seitan for the first time today. It looks right, but I haven't tasted it yet. Just simmered it in veggie broth and tossed it in the fridge for tomorrow. (I'm doing korma tomorrow hopefully it turns out!)

The recipe was 6 cups all purpose flour, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp salt, 1tsp onion powder (I accidentally grabbed garlic powder, but I like garlic).

Mix and knead for a long time until it looks really smooth. Cover with water, let sit for 2 hours at least. Rinse and knead until the water runs clear.

You'll have to report back how you liked it. I've only made seitan once, and it was a crockpot version. I thought it came out okay. It reminded me of the tender pieces of meat you'd get in a chicken stir fry dish. I thought gave it lots of possibilities.

• purebredpolly
    Options
    I just made the Quorn "turkey" Roast. SO GOOD! I am hoping the food outlet near me still has them. I'd like to buy a bunch of them to put in my freezer.
  • glassofroses
    Options
    I don't know, I think buying yourself certain items, or treats is a good thing provided one does not blow their budget out of the water. It's kind of like being good to yourself. Like if your SO stopped and bought you something just because, and didn't worry about the price tag. I think we need to do that for ourselves sometimes. <3

As far as the difference in almond milk prices! WOWZA! :s

I try to have balance. I shop at the outlet/banana box store so I can get more expensive items elsewhere. I can't imagine depriving myself of dried fruits, or nuts, or a really good chocolate bar. If I didn't shop the cheap places, I would never be able to get a few specialty items each pay period.

I'm the same. I'll get my basics and my tins from the supermarket own brand so that I can have my treats. Luckily I'm pretty low rent and my favourite kind of chocolate is the dark kind with orange oil and almonds for £1.50. My latest thing is I mooch of my mum's organic vegetable box she has delivered. Last time it had a really great sweet leaf salad which I basically stole as well as some of the beetroot (after she cooked it). Snagged some asparagus and chestnut mushrooms today. XD

I'm lucky we have a store called Lidl here, a German chain, that does really cheap dried fruit. Less than £1 for a 4 or 5 serving sized bag. Their pre-chopped chilli and garlic, which my mum likes to use, is super cheap too. As is their sushi. Less than £2 for a meal. I just find that their fruit and vegetables don't last very long. Like they're already turning when they've been sold.

Speaking of, I love chickpea crisps/chips by Hippeas but I might try my hand at my own with a bit of paprika and dried bbq seasoning.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    OH! We are going to get Lidl here in the States!! I can't wait!!!!!
  • fluter4gsus
    Options
    Verdict on the seitan:

It was fine, good not great. I will probably try a different recipe next time. I'm also fresh off of meat, so that might be a factor in my judgement. I will try it again, with different spices.
  • fluter4gsus
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The korma was delicious though, I added green and red bell peppers, spinach, peas, zucchini, and sweet potato to a Jared sauce from Trader Joe's . Sooo tasty!