Question for the past and present nursing mamas

Options
sardelsa
sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
Just out of curiosity, while still nursing, how long was it until your period returned?
With my first it was exactly 14 months on the dot.
My second is 11 months, no period yet...but I keep feeling like it is on it's way. Was it sooner for your second vs first? I wonder if it is based on frequency of nursing, hormones, or just our bodies.

Replies

• am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Mine came back at 9 months (she's now 11 months) and I still seemed to be nursing every few hours including twice most nights so was a bit disappointed! Was hoping for a loner break. Not quite regular yet as was then almost 6 weeks before the next.
  • themousevn
    themousevn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a breastfeeding counselor and a nursing mom. My period returned when my daughter turned 2. That was right around the time she started sleeping longer stretchest at night. However - every woman is different!
  • thedafftone
    thedafftone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My first was 10 months. Was also the month she started sleeping through the night.
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday 7mpp :(
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    5.5 months after the first pregnancy, 3.5 months after the next. Not fair :(
  • live2love4lifeks
    live2love4lifeks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exclusively pumping with #1 and it came back immediately. EBF with #2 and it came back at 6 months even though she still eats all the time and doesn't sleep through the night at 7 months.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    1 year with my first, and seems mine is trying to come back this time at around 7 months PP. Grrrr.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. this is all really interesting.
    I keep getting cramps and I swear it's coming but then it goes away. This has been going on for months. I don't know what is going on anymore.
    My son is still up 2-3x per night to nurse so it will be interesting to see if it comes when he starts sleeping more at night.
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Mine came back after 15 months. Around the time I dropped the daytime bottle/pumping.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Both times, I went on birth control that made me amenorrheic. However, at both of my 6-week checkups, my OB warned me that one of my ovaries was about to ovulate. So I guess, if it weren't for BC, the answer would have been "2 months."
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thank you all! I ended up getting it back just after he turned a year, so two months earlier than my first. He is actually on more feedings than my daughter was, and wakes up more than she did at night so guess it's just how the hormones work out.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine came back at 18 months
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't come back till I stopped nursing at ~13 mos
  • ChickensAhoy
    ChickensAhoy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was super lucky and got mine back right at 12 weeks. (Yay! Not.) We were still nursing several times a night and all through the day.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I got mine back at 3 months post-partum. I'm not complaining -- I'm ready for baby #2!
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For #2 it still hasn't come back and he's getting close to 15 months. Possibly I need to stop night nursing.