Healthy Snacks

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
I thought it would be a good idea to have a snack thread, so we can discuss our favorite healthy vegetarian snacks. There will be a separate thread for indulgent snacks, so that those looking for healthy options to aide in their weight loss can easily find them!

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. Loveeeeeee popcorn.

I also love chocolate covered rice cakes, which sounds like such a diet thing to say but here the UK we have a brand called Metcalfe's and their dark chocolate covered ricecakes are basically popcorn covered in chocolate. 83cals per cake and 3 cakes in a pack, you don't necessarily feel the worst if you finish them. :wink:
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think I go old school on snacks, I make peanut butter crackers, or I pop corn, and spray with an olive oil spray, and sprinkle with powdered ranch dressing mix. I always have a big bowl of fruit around, and I like to have cucumber, peppers, carrot, and celery sticks all cut up in the fridge to have ready for a quick snack.

I did buy some popsicle molds, and I am planning on trying my hand at fruit pops for those hot summer days. :)

I also try to keep a pot of some kind of vegetable soup in the fridge, as a kid my Ma would tell us to get a bowl of vegetable soup, or a piece of fruit if we were starving hungry.
  • alybran
    Options

I also love chocolate covered rice cakes, which sounds like such a diet thing to say but here the UK we have a brand called Metcalfe's and their dark chocolate covered ricecakes are basically popcorn covered in chocolate. 83cals per cake and 3 cakes in a pack, you don't necessarily feel the worst if you finish them. :wink:

Here in the states there are rice cakes of all different kinds of flavors, I've never heard of chocolate COVERED though. Our's are about the size of an apple corer/slicer, 50 calories each. I go for the caramel ones all the time. Super yummy with almond butter (sometimes I add sliced banana!)
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My current obsession is mini-sweet peppers (they usually come in 1lb bags). These are so good with a bit of ranch or sour cream! Here's the brand my store carries (and now I'm so going to stuff them with cream cheese after seeing that picture lol)
    https://www.perofamilyfarms.com/mini-sweet-peppers-conventional
  • glassofroses
    Options
    alybran wrote: »

Here in the states there are rice cakes of all different kinds of flavors, I've never heard of chocolate COVERED though. Our's are about the size of an apple corer/slicer, 50 calories each. I go for the caramel ones all the time. Super yummy with almond butter (sometimes I add sliced banana!)

We have some of those, we also have ricecakes covered in orange flavoured chocolate too, white or wholegrain rice for those watching their blood sugar, white chocolate if that's what you fancy. Really, any iteration you can think of, it's brilliant. They're more like the size of coasters so very filling.

Snappea crisps (chips) are really good. They're the empty pea shells baked and covered in deliciousness, like sweet chilli and lemon.
  • alybran
    Options
    I've forced myself to like carrots and apples by dipping them in homemade ranch sauce and peanut butter, respectively. You start with a lot of dip, which is unfortunate, but you slowly cut back and suddenly, wow, I actually like this. Lol.

I use this recipe as a guideline for my ranch. It's healthier because greek yogurt (yum). I do usually add in a little mayo and light sour cream to help the texture and consistency some, but other than that, it's a matter of personal taste to determine the proportions of the main spices: onion powder, garlic powder, dill, parsley, salt, and pepper.

Has anyone tried roasted chickpeas? I see recipes all over the place. I want to try them, but I keep wondering if they're actually crispy and never actually follow through.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to try these Dorito Flavored Roasted Chickpeas: http://www.thelittleredspoon.com/dorito-flavoured-roasted-chickpeas/
    Hopefully I'll get to it soon. I'll let you know how they taste
  • shelbypx92
    shelbypx92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »
    I have been meaning to try these Dorito Flavored Roasted Chickpeas: http://www.thelittleredspoon.com/dorito-flavoured-roasted-chickpeas/

Every time I've tried to make roasted chickpeas they just end up burnt or a weird texture, maybe because I was using canned? I hope it works out for you!
  • Staceyt68
    Staceyt68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »

these sound good, I printed the recipe and think I will make them up this weekend.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    My main vegetarian approved snacks are:
    Popcorn (especially if I want volume)
    Almonds
    Sliced up vegetables with something to dip them in (ranch, homemade dip, hummus)
    Cubes of cheese
    Kale chips (when I decide to get fancy and actually want to work on making them)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    An apple - gala or honey crisp plus either a strong blue cheese or some peanut butter is my go to snack. Occupationally nuts. And sometimes I'll heat up a small bowl of homemade soup to tide me over.
  • glassofroses
    Options
    I've also been having lots of yoghurts. I've become quite the fiend. The Collective is my favourite brand, they do a tub that's about three servings and there's ones like: mango, passionfruit, raspberry, russian fudge, bramley apple, vanilla bean, straight up, coffee...tons. All good ingredients, no bull. I also like Greek yoghurt with honey, Liberté do single serve packs with honey as the bottom layer and yoghurt as the top (also in blueberry and raspberry) but sometimes I just get my own yog and honey. It's better for me this way, less honey/less sugar since I've lost the taste for it. ATM, I'm eating Muller vanilla yoghurts with dark chocolate sprinkles. I used to really like this flavour, which is why I bought it, but it's kinda too sweet now (fat free always is) but I'll still eat up the ones I've bought, like the caramel and dark chocolate sprinkles one I had today. It was good, but too much.

Anyone else #teamyog(h)urt?
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I wish I could eat Greek yoghurt because of the high protein content, but it causes my mouth and throat to burn :/

I don't tend to snack a lot, but edamame beans, apple with cheese, or a protein shake would be my go to
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    An apple and peanut butter or a handful of nuts is my got to snack.
  • glassofroses
    Options

I wish I could eat Greek yoghurt because of the high protein content, but it causes my mouth and throat to burn :/

I don't tend to snack a lot, but edamame beans, apple with cheese, or a protein shake would be my go to

:cry: That's very sad to hear. I'm allergic to coconuts so I know how it can be. But honestly, I don't know what I'd do without snacking. Snacking is my life. As I've gotten smaller I've kind of gone back to how I used to be as a teenager which is terrible at eating meals as I get full really easily. Left to my own devices I'd probably go full reversion and eat dry salad (I don't like dressings) before eating a chocolate bar. :lol: Planning my day helps me to think about and know how much food a human like me actually needs to eat.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just made this vegan banana bread. Yummy!
    http://www.isachandra.com/2011/11/marbled-banana-bread/