whey protein, insulin spikes, confused!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for accepting me into this group! I can already tell its going to be a huge help for me!

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on whey protein powder, I am trying to eat much more protein at the moment, but was struggling to reach my macros with just chicken and fish and eggs so I have bought some whey powder. But I have just been doing some research and it looks like whey causes a big insulin spike- basically what I am trying my hardest to avoid!

I work out 6 times a week and really want to get more protein in, let me know if there are any of you who use protein powders/avoid it! Or if any of you have any good ideas about keeping protein macros high and carbs low without powders.

Thanks again for having me in the group :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    They key to using whey protein and the insulin spike is that if you aren't eating low carbs, to have a shake maybe 15-30 minutes before a meal so that the insulin keeps the glucose from spiking.

Personally, I have insulin resistance and I can use whey powder in things periodically, but I've not made a shake with it.

I think it is hemp seeds (hemp protein powder is made, too) that I use... Collagen also has protein boost and is a near flavorless powder, so can be added to just about anything.

Let us know what dietary plan you follow, @mollymcmorrow , and maybe we can give you more ideas.

Sardines, canned tuna, and things like that can be incorporated into other dishes...
  • mollymcmorrow
    mollymcmorrow Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you @knitormiss this was really helpful! At the moment I'm not really following a plan, I'm trying to work out how to eat well with pcos and how to still enjoy my food! I really love bread pasta cereals etc so im trying to find things that can be satisfying replacements :)
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    I'm confused by this issue too. I personally am going to include it. I don't know if you're prediabetic/diabetic like many of us, but here's a cool article stating that whey is a good thing:
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/endo/57129?pop=0&ba=1&xid=tmd-md&hr=trendMD