5/2 Tuesday Day 2 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
kyyoqlai2uqc.jpg

Theme: Pick Your 'One Thing'

Today's Challenge: There are lots of ways to ditch the chair and some of the most popular actions are listed here: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/ideas.html Which do you think would work for you?

Since we want to be sitting less long after the challenge has ended, it's important to find ways to sit less that work for us and fit into our lives. It can't be something you hate doing or you won't stick with it. It's also important not to try and change too many things at once and make the whole process overwhelmingly hard.

Today's challenge is to read this blog post: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/simple-plan-to-sit-less and then select the one action you will prioritize this month. What's your “One Thing?”

Please Note: To increase the likelihood that your chosen activity becomes a habit, it's important to attach this new activity to something you already do every day or something that happens to you every day. The “old” activity serves as a cue or reminder to do the new habit. For example, you might decide that “Every time the phone rings I will stand up and move around” or “After I write an email, I will stand up and proofread it before I hit the send button.” Or, “I will leave my walking shoes by the front door to remind me to head out for a walk.” In these cases, the phone ringing, the written email, and the shoes serve as reminders to do the new habit.

Of course, a post-it or a note to yourself also works!

Supplemental Reading:
James Clear's The Scientific Argument for Mastering One Thing at a Time: http://jamesclear.com/master-one-thing

Replies

• taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I will set a time on my phone when I sit down to watch TV or work on the computer. When it goes off, it's time to get up and stand or walk. I think I'll start with 30 minutes but I'll reevaluate that in a few days. It might even be shorter.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is a good challenge. I've noticed that I (figure) skate much better and am less stiff on days I don't spend in the office. I need to come up with a way to sit less at work. I do get up and walk at least once an hour, but I feel I need more. Or rather, I want more!!
  • prlgator
    prlgator Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am going to set my alarm to go off every hour and if I have not been out of my chair I will walk my office, go to the back room and stretch and then head back to work. Also I will take a short walk during lunch if it is not raining.
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think I will start listening to my ebooks while pacing.
  • mtb518
    mtb518 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will set my timer to go off every hour and walk for 5 min. If I am in a work meeting (which seems to be much of my day), I will respond to the timer by looking for ways to slip in a little movement without distracting others: standing up to 'get coffee' (which I don't drink) or to 'take a picture of the whiteboard' and then linger standing up.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would like to both drink more water and stand more. So, I have brought a water bottle to work (I think it's about 20 oz. or so) and aim to fill it 3 times a day. This will also result in having to go to the bathroom more. And when I go to the bathroom at work, I will not take the shortest route back to my office; I'll do a lap around the adjacent building instead.
  • arkaycee
    arkaycee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get back to using a one-hour timer at work and walk at least 5 minutes if possible.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a Varidesk at work and stand most of the day. I prefer it because I have yet to find office chair that is comfortable. The down side is that when I get home, I hit the chair there and am so tired from my day. So my change in activity is to sit down at work for at least 5 minutes every hour and then make sure I stand at home during the commercials. It think that will be a good change.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been walking around my office and building for awhile now. The biggest perk is the new friends I have made in other offices.
    I've been able to increase my fitbit daily goal from 5000 steps to 7500 and feel great about moving more.
    I'm looking forward to more great suggestions on how to "stop the sitting".
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Since many of your One Things involve walking after a period of sitting, I wanted to mention that there are smart phone apps (and websites, I believe) that will remind you to move at regular intervals. I know many activity trackers and the Apple Watch already have this feature.

The University of Missouri has put together a list of activity and break apps and websites to help people move more. I can't vouch for anything on the list (which was published in 2015) but I think it's a good starting point:

https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/wellness/activity_and_break_apps
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    I'm using an exercise ball as a chair when at the computer and never sitting for an hour at one time.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Going to force myself to get up and move at least every 30 mins. Hubby is getting into walking every evening after dinner so I'll do that as well. My garden is now pulling me outside every night which is great. And I need to get more consistent getting to my workout classes.
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My goals are to park further away from the store when I'm out, get out my exercise ball to bounce on while I'm at my computer (I do a lot of surveys) and to get up and walk a minute after each survey completion, or if I'm watching TV, I LOVE the idea of walking around during commercials!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stand when I use my phone or check email.
  • jdelgado3013
    jdelgado3013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am becoming more self-aware of my time sitting down.
    I have set my watch to hourly alarms...and am standing up every hour to walk around the house. One Thng.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Clo_Buffie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of clients during the day.. during these meetings I am going to get up and walk around the table talking to each one of them.. on the days that i don't see clients i am going to “After I write an email, I will stand up and proofread it before I hit the send button.” I work alone, 2 hours from my nearest co-worker, so i send almost 100 emails a day... that's a lot of standing up :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am alternating sitting and standing at my desk every 30 minutes, with a 5 minute water break every hour. I also started getting up and walking around the house during commercials last night since I tend to be a couch potato after work! :) I set the Miracle Timer app on my iPhone to let me know when 30 minutes pass.
  • lupiecat
    lupiecat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I already have the nudge to move more, I just need to stop ignoring it! My Samsung Gear Fit 2 goes off every 50 minutes if I haven't moved, I just need to listen to it. :p