5/3 Wednesday Day 3 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
vedif1piaapp.jpg

Theme: Create Your Sit Less Plan

Today's Challenge: Today's challenge is to make your plan to sit less and move more. Using the input form on this page: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/act-now.html specify your top priority for sitting less (your “One Thing”) and your activity goal. Will you be going for the bronze, silver, or gold level of activity? Or maybe the platinum? Please fill out and submit the form.

By selecting “MFP Sit Less Boot Camp Challenge” from the pull-down list of Organizational challenges, your pledged reduction to sit less will be added to our group's total so that we can compute the total number of sitting hours eliminated by Sit Less Boot Camp challenge takers. No individual information will be shared, just our group's total reduction in sitting hours.

This is our third and final “ramp up” challenge. Starting tomorrow, each of the daily challenges will give you a chance to “test drive” strategies and ideas for sitting less. As we go through the next few weeks, please continue to work at your “One Thing”. The daily challenges are intended to complement your chosen sit-less action.

Got a few extra minutes? How about a short walk today?

Replies

• PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Done! I got in one short walk this morning. About to fix breakfast then catch up on work, but while I do, I will get up at LEAST every 30 minutes!! Let's rock this Wednesday! :p
  • prlgator
    prlgator Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Planning on a round of Frisbee golf which is more like a light hike with frisbee today. Takes about an hour then a walk with dogs or a bike ride tonight.
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Done. Did 45 minutes of walking. 20 minutes in morning and 25 in afternoon. Will do the same today! :)B)
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Getting up to move every 30 minutes. Walk to the mailbox and around the sub division. Walk to get the paper and around the sub division. Will be walking this afternoon.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Going to yoga on my lunch break today and then walking 1/2 mile after work to meet my husband.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Done... worked out at 5AM this morning. :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    Great plans, Everyone!

You might be interested in my thinking behind this challenge. According to social science researchers, when we make a public disclosure of our intent to do something we are more likely to follow through and do it than if we keep our plans to ourselves. We want to be seen as good to our word.

So keep your Sit Less plans coming and share with us on this thread what you are doing!
  • tardis_love
    tardis_love Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Will try to take an earlier lunch today to attend my office's "March into May" Yoga Session. Also will plan on doing a 5 minute walk around my floor every 1-2 hrs. :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I get in 10K steps on average daily. I will add a Zumba dance session to this, to up that count.
    I also plan to go to both the grocery and Costco, both involve a lot of steps. It is rainy here today so keeping moving will help me keep warmer too.

Have a great day everyone.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I'm done with the form. I hope that my IPhone isn't dying and can help me with the alarm portion. I found a cool app for moving called Move Your App. When I move with my IPhone it can record movement, steps and non movement. I can set it for any amount of time to go off and it gives me an incentive statement to get me up and moving. it also gives me stats for the day broken down into a timeline showing movement and nonmovement. it also breaks it down to minutes for both.
  • themedalist
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I'm done with the form. I hope that my IPhone isn't dying and can help me with the alarm portion. I found a cool app for moving called Move Your App. When I move with my IPhone it can record movement, steps and non movement. I can set it for any amount of time to go off and it gives me an incentive statement to get me up and moving. it also gives me stats for the day broken down into a timeline showing movement and nonmovement. it also breaks it down to minutes for both.

Thanks! I'm going to check out Move Your App

• aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    On a 90 min conference call and I plan to stand/walk around my office for as much of it as possible
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    @themedalist the little statements that it makes when you are supposed to get up and move are quite humorous as well!
  • goliv
    goliv Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ate breakfast and lunch standing up today - I generally am by myself for both of those meals each day so it's easy enough to do.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My one thing is going to be elevating my Ergotron desktop for Skype meetings at work and standing through them. On weekends, my one thing will be to stand up and use laptop on the counter when internet surfing and standing and walking during commercials in the evenings.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I walked to the campus Fitness Center to do 2 quick miles on the bike.
  • taxmom9093
    taxmom9093 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I left early to go the grocery store today and took a walk along the local bike path. It's still pretty cool around here but the moving warmed me up a bit.

So far I'm doing well getting up when my alarm goes off. I just have to remember to set it EVERY time.
  • Imagine_if
    Imagine_if Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I will stand at my work desk and read a full chapter each day (might happen in spurts, but each day complete a full chapter while standing). Watched half a comedy standing.

Did a few squats as I stood there.

I'm working on the outdoors walking part still. ;)
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of hours cross stitching so I set up my stand so that I can stand at the desk while I work rather than sitting.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    It has been good to be more aware of sitting - I am now reading while standing (and sometimes doing some exercises at the same time), getting up after any period of 45 minutes seated, and only sitting on the swiss ball, except at meal times. Feels good!