Mini Challenge #3 Let's Try IF

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
IF is one of the most effective weapons available to lose weight. It’s perfect if you are stuck at a weight-loss plateau despite “doing everything right”. What is IF? IF is intermittent fasting. It means exactly what it sounds like… not eating, during a specified time interval. I started a week ago because I had hopes it would help curb my evening snack attacks and you know what, it did! There are many other variants of intermittent fasting, but I tried the 16:8 method (16 hours of not eating, 8 hours of eating during a day). It's actually pretty easy. I wake up in the morning and hydrate. I drink my water until noon (you can also have black coffee), at noon, I have lunch followed by my snack, more water, my iced coffee and than usually eat dinner by 5:30, have one last snack at 7:15 and at 8pm no more food. I fill my water cup and thats it until the next day at noon. I have not even wanted late night snacks. Weekends were a little harder because hubby is up later and he snacks but I hung tough. You can do a 16:8 fast as often as you like. For example twice a week, or on weekdays only… or every single day. The more often you do it, the more effective it is. Intermittent fasting is not the same thing as obsessively counting calories and starving yourself 24-7, i.e. “caloric restriction as primary” (CRaP) diets. Starving yourself is a recipe for misery and failure.

Intermittent fasting is about eating all that your body needs… while still allowing it to sometimes briefly rest from constant feeding.
During a fast you can’t eat, but you should definitely drink. Water is the drink of choice, but coffee and tea are also great options. Anything you drink should ideally be zero calories. But it may be acceptable to cheat by adding a small amount of milk in your coffee or tea – if you absolutely need it to enjoy your drink.
In fact, intermittent fasting is not really a diet at all!

It is based on the idea that undergoing a short fast allows the body to directly burn fat rather than the food consume throughout the day. In the ‘none fast’ duration, you can consume your normal diet with the flexibility to “treat yourself” rather than forcing diet restriction.

You still want to aim to eat healthily. IF is not for pregnant woman, woman who are breast feeding or those on insulin unless you talk it over with your doctor. I find after this week, I have more energy, I sleep better, I drink more water, I don't think about food constantly, I don't wake up hungry and when I weigh this week I am in hopes the scale will be happy. Even if it's not I plan on continuing the IF plan. Let me know if you have questions and if you want to do this challenge along with me.

Replies

• dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm in @kayjosh2422 . I've always said, my stomach doesn't wake up and want to eat until about 11am, so your noon to 8pm schedule works perfectly for me. I'm definitely going to try this. I've heard about the IF theory, but not tried to specifically try it. Let's do this together.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    @dbackgrammy , I'm excited to have you on board. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds this week, hoping IF is helping. I'm sticking with it
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering IF. Most days I don't eat til lunch anyway. Cutting off at 8 will be harder. A lot of evenings we're eating around that hour or later.
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds this week, hoping IF is helping. I'm sticking with it

Good job! I'm focusing on the noon to 8 eating also, so I hope I see results like yours next week. Keep up the good work!
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF most of my weight loss journey and it has worked wonders. I noticed when I don't do IF I either maintain or gain. I do 13:11 now that my sons in school so I can eat breakfast with him in the morning and dinner with the family at night
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this. It will take a bit to reprogram 40 years of breakfast at 7 a.m. but I will do one day at a time.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Try it for a week and see how it does. I'm really liking it
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    It is really helping me @kayjosh2422 . Other than "clock watching", it doesn't seem too hard for me. It's helping me get control again. I am on the road Friday thru Sunday, so we will see how I can make this work while traveling by car (which is a signal for me to snack). Wish me luck.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    @dbackgrammy , wishing you luck and safe travels. Fill up on water, make sure you eat plenty in your fueling hours and remember if you slip its ok. Just get back in it the next day.
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    I was in the car for 6 hours from 5 am to 11 am (non-eating time) Did the best I could, drank ALOT; but gave into boredom (I'm by myself) so I ate some honeydew and some cherry tomatoes to keep me from eating the "bad stuff". Gonna just make sure I also stay within my calorie counts for today. Now off to Ironman Village for registrations and ALOT of walking.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Good choices
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    @kayjosh2422 , I'm back on track with IF today. Thank you again for introducing this process to me. It makes me feel in control again. I've got a lot of weight to lose by the end of the year. Thank you for helping me see a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    @dbackgrammy , I hope you enjoy IF like I do. Tomorrow I weigh in and will do an update on my 2 weeks of IF
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Week 2 of IF and I'm down 2.2 pounds for a total of 4.2 in 2 weeks. For me that's huge because I'm a turtle at dropping the weight. I love that I'm in control of my food, love that at 8pm, I'm done . Just enjoying the process