What do you do for exercise?

Options
linzbecky123
linzbecky123 Posts: 55 Member
My workouts these days are limited to:
walking between 2-3 miles on my lunch break usually twice a week.
treadmill/elliptical plus strength training and stretching at the gym, also twice a week or so

I want to be better about getting more workouts in and also getting more variation in what I do. I used to do yoga, spinning, and kickboxing, but I'm frankly not in such great shape currently, have a very tight hamstring from an injury that I'm getting physical therapy for, and I honestly don't have a lot of time -- I walk during my lunch breaks when I can and only make it to the gym at night after my kids are in bed, but most nights I'm so tired that I'd rather just sleep. What do the rest of you do?

Replies

• ElectrifyingGravity
    ElectrifyingGravity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually try and get 10,000 steps a day in some way (some of which come from work). On top of that I usually do yoga twice a week, Zumba once a week, club sand volleyball once a week, and weight machines on the other days. I tore/partially tore both plantaris tendons a couple years ago playing rugby so it's taken a long time to get back into yoga and Zumba... I'm looking into getting more into free weights/lifting but I'm not sure where to start.
  • linzbecky123
    linzbecky123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually try and get 10,000 steps a day in some way (some of which come from work). On top of that I usually do yoga twice a week, Zumba once a week, club sand volleyball once a week, and weight machines on the other days. I tore/partially tore both plantaris tendons a couple years ago playing rugby so it's taken a long time to get back into yoga and Zumba... I'm looking into getting more into free weights/lifting but I'm not sure where to start.

Wow, so much variety! That's great.
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I walk 2 miles a day and swing kettlebells like a mudderpucker.
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i'm doing bootcamp and trx and yoga and i play soccer once or twice a week :) want to start swimming laps once a week too!
  • mattg5566
    mattg5566 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to do 10,000 steps per day via walking, elliptical, cycle. I do a four day vertical horizontal push pull strength training.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @canadian_vegan what's trx?

Wow you guys have more varied activities, I just run or do elliptical at least 1hr, and walk at least 1hr.
  • akasharuns
    akasharuns Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Run
  • hcorehenry
    hcorehenry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I play a lot of tennis! Otherwise it's weight training, elliptical or just walking
  • vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do a 4x2 workout Monday - Thursday, so chest & shoulders Monday AM, legs Monday lunch, arms Tuesday morning, back Tuesday lunch, then repeat Wednesday and Thursday but different exercises. Friday is a de-load day, so only 2/3 of my normal weights till failure across the board. Saturday is a total rest day, then Sunday is either a swim, run or bike ride.

Plus we have a rather young energetic dog that needs about 10km of walks per day. Weekdays I only get the evening shift, but weekends I do both for the full 10km.
  • JackNikon3
    JackNikon3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't have a super-set schedule, I just have a goal of 5 to 6 days a week of exercise. I either run, hike or do the stairmaster at the gym. I also try to go rock climbing (indoors) 2 to 3 days a week. I'm lucky to have a fairly active job as well (I'm a nurse), so I get a lot of steps in on top of my workouts.
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @canadian_vegan what's trx?

https://www.trxtraining.com/train/what-is-trx

they have some at my gym and i took a 6 week course, tons of videos on youtube to follow as well :)

• vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    TRX is very versatile - it's one of my favourite bits of kit in the gym.
  • lindseyvan442
    lindseyvan442 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I walk the dog about a mile a day during the week. I bought a pass to a state park near my house, so on the weekends I like to hike and kayak. Sprinkle frisbee/disc golf/etc in intermittently.
  • fbrm1991
    fbrm1991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trans mtf here. I've only recently started getting into exercise with a friend. We've been going to the gym three times a week for 30 minutes each. Very little but it's a start. I've been enjoying the elliptical machine a lot. Eventually I'd like to add a little bit of resistance training.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just started back at the gym. I do Elliptical and weights. It's been so hot here in FL that I have limited to swimming and inside activities. I love to kayak and ride bikes when the temp drops.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I love kayaking and bike riding too. Let's hook up when it cools off!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting + cardio. I try to walk daily, step count varies cos my sprained ankle is still a bit annoying.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get in the habit of going to the gym at 5-6 days per week. Start with some movement drills, then go to weights, then get on the treadmill or something like that and see how far I can go in 45 minutes.

I also plan on signing up for a membership at the climbing gym near me either later this week or next week. It may be a little excessive to have two gym memberships but I don't really care; they're both inexpensive enough.

I'm also trying to build up the confidence to do more outdoor running, I'm currently taking a class in stress management through physical activity, mostly yoga, and I'm looking into gymnastics classes near me.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Trans FtM here. I do a lot of cardio (walking, jogging, elliptical, etc.), and some weights (mostly pectoral flys at the gym, to give my chest more definition other than fat lol). I personally hate doing weights, even with my body weight. But I'm working on that :smiley: