First Challenge I've ever Joined

Options
ladyhusker39
ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
I've been lurking on the boards since I started tracking my calories, but this is the first challenge that spoke to me. 12 weeks is both reasonably long and short at the same time lol. I just reached my first weight goal of 190lbs and I've been hovering there the last couple of weeks. I'm ready to push on to the next one.

Since this is 12 weeks and I've loosing just over a lb/wk since I started I'm going to shoot for 15 for this challenge. That would put me at 175. I haven't been that small since pre-baby (the oldest is a teen now).

I've been doing several cardio classes at the Y for 3 months, mostly Zumba and Step which is too much like fun to feel like work and it's worked out really well. I've been doing strength training here and there, but this week I have it on my plan to get consistent with 3 Xs/wk, also at the Y. I need classes to stay motivated. Love the Y!

I wear a FitBit 24/7 (ex for shower) and average around 1400 steps/day, but I'm not really focused on that.

I guess that all for now. Oh, I guess I could list my stats:

47 year old female
SW: 212
CW: 190
GW: 175 (12 wk challenge)
UGW: 145 (this is flexible, cause who knows how I'll look/feel by them, gotta take it a step at a time.)

Not sure if this is too much/too little info, but I'll stop for now.

Looking forward to making friends.

Replies

• fussybritches2
    fussybritches2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I liked your post. I too, have been quite the lurker on MFP and have never joined a challenge. I have about 15 more pounds I would like to lose and have been kinda hovering for awhile. I'd like to not party so much and keep up with my regular diet and fitness regimen. I have a public diary and am totally open to discussion about our daily challenges in this journey to healthy living
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well i feel honored that you joined. Its great to set short term goals for yourself, especially if you have a LONG ways to go, like i did. I was a "serial starter" on mfp for about 6 years, then i stopped looking at it from a view of entirety and started short-goaling myself to success. Your info was PERFECT. I have 15-20 more lbs to go but i keep gaining and losing the same 8-10 lbs from falling off the wagon. Lets reach our goals and kick some booty!!!!!
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    15lbs at a time is less daunting than trying to think about the whole thing at once. This is actually the first time in my life I've tried to loose weight. I started gaining in my early 30's and just became comfortable being heavy, mentally at least. Physically, it's been a nightmare. All kinds of aches and pains on joints, back, knees, etc.

I thrive on data so MFP and my Fitbit have been a godsend. Now that I know (instead of guessing) what I'm eating and burning, I can't ignore it. The facts are too in my face :smile:
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Ladyhusker, if you're doing the right things you'll lose weight. It's hard to log your food/exercise daily, and even weighing/measuring your portions can be also. It's TOTALLY worth it though, especially in the beginning. I'm amazed how much I ate every day- just the quantity. Who measures out a 1/2 cup oatmeal? I'd just dump it in the bowl and eat too much, although it's a "healthy" food. Especially watch your carby snacks, even nuts have so many calories. I measure them out into a bowl, instead of eating right out of the package.

This is a new way of life for me now, but I've not felt better in years. Take it a step at a time. Changing everything at once can be tough mentally too. Think of your "why's" for getting healthier. Look at things with a long perspective, as I'm sure there will be ups and downs. Life happens, cake happens...

Glad you have a fitbit too, I was thinking of getting one someday. It's definitely time for all of us to think about where we want to be at the end of 12 weeks, and 12 years for that matter. I turn 50 this year, and I want to be the best me at that age. I'd better hurry, I've got until October!
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    Thanks @SheilaCali. I should have mentioned, I've already lost 22lbs since the beginning of February. I haven't really found it that difficult. For me it seems to be more about mindless eating and like you said, overestimating portion sizes. Once I started logging, holy cow! Did I have a wake up call.

One interesting thing is that since I started tracking and eating what I am certain is considerably less each day, I haven't really been hungry. Which begs the question: Why on earth was I overeating before? People are funny :-)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I measure everything when im behaving. My coffee creamer is only 15 cals per serving, but i would def use more than a tablespoon. Portion size is a big eye opener when you start weighing and measuring
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    Ladyhusker, congrats on the 22 lost! I think big portion sizes have been one of my worst issues. I was easily eating over 2000 cals a day around Christmas. Now I'm staying at 1200. The other problem was lack of heart pounding exercise. I've been working out harder since Feb, and it started paying off after a month. My metabolism is better, but I've still only lost 10 pounds in 5 months. I'm gaining muscle and getting smaller, so I'm pretty pleased so far. Good luck and stay consistent, friends!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    Thats the only thing ive done positive is kicking *kitten* at the gym. My whole.body HURTS and I've been trying to get back into beast mode, which is hard for me because i had to see my weight lifting ability drastically go down in just a couple of weeks:/
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    Thats the only thing ive done positive is kicking *kitten* at the gym. My whole.body HURTS and I've been trying to get back into beast mode, which is hard for me because i had to see my weight lifting ability drastically go down in just a couple of weeks:/

Just take it slow and steady. Imagine being away from the gym for years. It will get better! :)