Question about Salads...

Nodnarb130
Nodnarb130 Posts: 10 Member
So I feel like I should be implementing more salads in my diet, but I'm also aware that as VSG peeps we gotta focus on the protein. I know I can add chicken to a lot of salads, but what do you guys do for salads? And when/ how often do y'all have them? I wouldn't mind having one for lunch, but would I be hurting myself in the long run if it's not protein packed?

Replies

• Nodnarb130
    Also, I understand how silly a question this probably is haha
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I am over 3 years out and I don't eat salad too often. I like salads, but for me they are just too high in volume. You could eat a small amount with added protein, but personally, I have better luck with cooked veggies, I can eat half a cup or so of spinach or cauliflower rice or squash or something along with 4 or 5 ounces of meat and I am good. I think sometimes our old "diet" mindset makes us feel like we should eat salad, but post surgery, the rules of "diets" don't apply, it's a whole new set of rules. You really don't have to eat salad if you don't want to :smile:
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    I don't eat a ton of salads (for the reasons @garber6th mentioned), but sometimes I do crave those fresh/raw veggies. When I do have one it usually comes from the salad bar at the grocery store by my office. That bar makes it easy for me to add a hard boiled egg, some chicken or some salmon so that I get good protein. It also allows me to control the size of the salad (typically pretty small). I had one today. You can look at my food log to see what I put in it.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Interesting. I have no problem with salads - they are good for you too (as long as you don't drown them in dressing and cheese). I'm about 14 months out and I eat a big green salad 3-4 x week, usually for lunch. I include 2-3 oz of protein like chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon or shrimp and make sure to use nutritious greens like spring mix, spinach, kale etc vs say iceberg lettuce. I probably eat 1- 1.5 cups of greens. I eat protein first and if I leave some greens so be it. Lately I have been skipping lettuce altogether and using broccoli slaw as my base. It's low cal, crunchy, and packed with vitamins and fiber. I add in things like avocado, cucumber, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, sunflower seeds -whatever I have in the fridge. I make my own oil free salad dressings. Salads are the one thing I don't beat myself up for eating a lot of. No one ever got fat from too many raw vegetables!
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Basically if you want a salad, have a salad! It's not going to hurt you as long as your dr has cleared you for eating raw veggies.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Robin628 wrote: »
    Basically if you want a salad, have a salad! It's not going to hurt you as long as your dr has cleared you for eating raw veggies.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  • Nodnarb130
    Thank you everyone so much! I'm so sorry for the delayed response... you have all been so helpful!! I haven't been logging my food for very long, but in doing so I've realized how much I'm lacking in my already small diet, so I'm working on it. I feel a lot more informed on the matter :smile:
  • ErniesMom863
    ErniesMom863 Posts: 36 Member
    Nodnarb130 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone so much! I'm so sorry for the delayed response... you have all been so helpful!! I haven't been logging my food for very long, but in doing so I've realized how much I'm lacking in my already small diet, so I'm working on it. I feel a lot more informed on the matter :smile:

I am only 6 months postop and have been eating salads the last month. It's so weird I actually crave salads now. Who am I? Lol. I think of you want one it means your body is craving the nutrition. I even saw a great YouTube from a bariatric surgeon before my surgery and he recommends you have them everyday. Basically, he also said nobody ever got fat from raw veggies. Chick fil-a has an awesome keto friendly cob salad I am obsessed with.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Check out Dr. Garth Davis. He is a vegan bariatric surgeon and has a completely different approach to the whole protein discussion. One of his patients just competed in an Ironman on a plant based diet.

I'm nearly 2 years post RNY and went meat free (not vegan) a little more than 4 months ago. I eat a wide variety of vegetables both raw and cooked.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Check out Dr. Garth Davis. He is a vegan bariatric surgeon and has a completely different approach to the whole protein discussion. One of his patients just competed in an Ironman on a plant based diet.

I'm nearly 2 years post RNY and went meat free (not vegan) a little more than 4 months ago. I eat a wide variety of vegetables both raw and cooked.

@Ultima_Morpha - how is this working for you? I've noticed that lately I'm not really into eating "meats"... I'd like to try something like this..
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    @Stephaniev51697
    To be honest, I'm not sure it is going all that great for me. I'm sticking with it mostly because I can't make a decision about introducing meat and fish back into my diet (meat and fish free since end of December). It doesn't repulse me exactly, I just have an aversion to it. I do feel like I have a balanced vegetarian diet, but maybe I am just missing something.

I had a major energy crash in March/April that has impacted my running. I was easily running 50 miles a week last year but I've struggled since earlier this year to get in 30 miles a week. I've been working through all the doctors in the past few months to try and sort out what could be at the root of my issues. I know enough to know that correlation doesn't equal causation so I'm trying not to read too much into the timeline of things.

If the final decision is that it isn't diet-related, I'll probably stick with it. Otherwise, I may introduce some fish/seafood. I know that my thyroid is off and my estrogen is low; I'll be seeing an endocrinologist this week to rule out a pituitary tumor.

@Ultima_Morpha - how is this working for you? I've noticed that lately I'm not really into eating "meats"... I'd like to try something like this..
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I am obsessed with salad! I waited until I was 10wks out to try eating them again and I've had no problem. In addition to a meat, I'll include cheese and an egg to boost protein. You can throw in black beans, chickpeas, tofu, chia seeds, almonds- salads are so versatile and the options are endless. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm thinking about making a homemade dressing with a scoop of unflavored protein in it to see how that goes.
  • lporter0813
    lporter0813 Posts: 23 Member
    I am more recently sleeved (10/17/17), so I'm not able to have salads yet. I always loved salads for lunch and took them to work with me. It'll be interesting to see what my new choices are going to be. I'm still at pureed food. Anyone looking for new friends, let me know. It helps to share this journey.