Best Vegan eating tips

Options
2busy4health
2busy4health Posts: 20 Member
Hi All :)

I love to talk with other vegans and learn from their journeys, so I was wondering...
In your experience being vegan what is the number one piece of advice you would give to someone transitioning?
What are your best tips for eating vegan?
Best tips for losing weight or staying healthy while vegan?

Go!

Replies

• sammiproulx
    sammiproulx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • raebetty
    raebetty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips!
    1. Stock up your pantry! There are many vegan pantry lists on Pinterest that will help you, but basic sense is your friend. Dried/canned beans of all types, tomato sauce/diced tomatoes, grains, etc.
    2. Plan your cooking. so, set aside one day a week, even if its half a day, to cook meals for at least a few days.
    3. Slow cookers are your friend if you're super busy! Stews, soups, even pasta dishes can cook up in the slow cooker.
    4. Have patience. It takes a couple weeks for your body to "switch over" to plant based, but it's well worth the wait. As long as you're sticking to your macros, you got this!
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    don't even try to find things to replace meat or cheese, that mindset will lead to disappointment. approach food with the idea of finding NEW tastes and textures, not trying to replicate :)
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My advice would be:
    Cheese isn't life. Before you know it you will prefer other foods and even if you never find a vegan cheese you like, it doesn't matter.
    Try all the different plant milks in your tea and coffee and don't compare them to dairy. None taste just like it (although cashew milk comes close) but some will work for you and taste as good.
    Cook from scratch. Stock up on cashews, avocados, nooch (get the one with B12), peanut butter and bananas. Don't argue. Just do it!

• raebetty
    raebetty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sassia wrote: »
    My advice would be:
    Cheese isn't life. Before you know it you will prefer other foods and even if you never find a vegan cheese you like, it doesn't matter.
    Try all the different plant milks in your tea and coffee and don't compare them to dairy. None taste just like it (although cashew milk comes close) but some will work for you and taste as good.
    Cook from scratch. Stock up on cashews, avocados, nooch (get the one with B12), peanut butter and bananas. Don't argue. Just do it!

The huge two pack of Jif peanut butter from Costco is a lifesaver! It lasts forever as well, so you can always count on having that for sandwiches and even ingredients for sauces.