SL Two Days a week?

Options
kenzienal
kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
Is SL worth doing if you only plan on lifting twice a week?

Before the shaming on a 2 gym days per week, we are not big gym goers, and prefer to be outside a lot more. We are pretty active people the days we are not in the gym, and I plan on running a few days a week also.

I know SL is built to be done 3 days a week, but my boyfriend and I only go to the gym on Tuesday's and Thursday's because thats what works for us. I really would like to start lifting, but Stronglifts is the top program recommended to me to begin lifting as a total newbie.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can always try it.

I have a friend who only did it once a week and she still progressed (at least while she was new to it), though slowly.
    Personally I find it a lot harder when I miss one of the 3 days. I tend to fail at the lifts more when I only do 2 sessions a week.

There may be a point where your lifts cap out, and it might come sooner if you're doing it 2 days a week instead of 3.

Maybe you could supplement with some at home calisthenics on Saturdays.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. 2 days is definitely better than none, and you say you're fairly active otherwise, so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to make some progress with that set-up. It might work more optimally if you could space those 2 days with 1 more day in between, but as long as they are not on consecutive days and you allow yourself decent recovery on wednesday, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you add in some form of targeted bodyweight strength training on one of the extra days (so squats, push-ups, pull-up variation) may also help imprint the patterns a bit more and help you progress a little further, too. :)
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I've only recently had 2 days per week most weeks to dedicate and have definitely had a harder time advancing in weight when I only do 2 days instead of 3. I am getting in a decent workout but not feeling as though I am progressing the same as when I had a steady 3-day pace. However, it's better than not doing it at all I suppose!

You might also consider your timing since if you're going two days during the work week (like M & W) it potentially leaves more of a gap between your workouts on the weekend. Some other stucture may be more beneficial but it depends on what works for you and how not-sore you need to be subsequent days.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Tuesday and Thursdays are pretty set for the only workout days available. We have a bit of an odd schedule with some long term construction going on at our place. Working out doesnt even happen until 6:30pm - 7pm. Then we have to come home and cook dinner, because working out after a meal makes both of us sick.

I know they say where there is a will, there is a way, but dang there are just not enough hours in the day!

I will give the 2 a week system a try, and if that doesnt work, I will try to add in Saturday mornings.

I added the app JEFIT, and they have some pretty cool workouts you can do right at home. So maybe I could add that to my M,W,F but I am scared that may overdue it.

I want to get some running in, atleast twice a week. Just so I have a 4 day sweat regime. I don't think that would hinder my workouts as running doesnt usually leave me sore.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, you just won't see the same rate of progression. :).
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do two days most weeks because I have a nine month old baby and find it hard to get to the gym. To be honest I'm really not progressing the way I was pre-pregnancy. I'm looking forward to getting back to 3x a week this summer when I return to work (will go on my lunch break).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yeah, shaming is for jerks. even at 51, i was told by my gp that muscle loss sets in within 'as little as' a week. my gp is funny that way :tongue: every time i see her it seems like she has a different urgency that's on her mind. i went to ask her about idk, a bursitis thing or something one time, and she offered me a tetanus shot.

anyway, my point here is, she thought that a week was a really short time. i thought 'hey, it's not as urgent as they make out then!' and she was talking about a situation where i thought i had messed up my knee, so her context was one of near-immobility - not even 'just not doing my workouts right now'.

so if it takes someone my age an entire week of sitting around with my foot up on the couch to even start losing muscle mass to the regular processes . . . then i don't think you're going to suffer too much from letting three or four days go by between workouts, instead of two or three. it is true that i'm older than you probably are, but fwiw the couple of times when i did just go in twice a week, i actually felt like i was stronger for it because i'd had that much longer to rest.
  • Joyjas
    Joyjas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the New Rules of Lifting for Women book the author states in regards to number of weightlifting workouts per week: three is best, two will work, one is too few, and any more than three is too much. That's one of the reasons that weight lifting is attractive to me - I love the idea that I don't have to feel guilty for not working out 5 days a week.
  • kenzienal
    Options
    Well I talked my SO into trying to arrange our schedule to incorporate 3 days a week, so thats the good news! I am sure there will be a few times it will be twice a week sessions, but I am going to do my best!

I have been fighting a nasty cold the past two weeks, and am FINALLY starting to feel back to normal, so it looks like next week I finally get to start Stronglifts!

I am very excited. I really do hope to fall in love with this program as cardio and I just dont get along much anymore.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Have fun with it! 3x a week is probably going to feel best (I definitely noticed when I went more than 3 days between sessions) but if it ends up being too much, adjust as needed.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a lot these days, and so just due to ease of facilitation, running has been my go to. When I am home I am lifting regularly, but sometimes I am only home on weekends, and sometimes not even that much. And even at the once a week-ish level, I am progressing, if ever so slowly. Realistically depends on your goals and how quick you want to get to them.