New here, and a question...

Options
My son is 7 and will be evaluated by a psychologist, who will then send us for autism evaluation. I am unsure what to tell him about why we are doing this. He always wants to know exactly what is going on but I don't want him to think something is "wrong" with him if that makes sense.
He is verbal and on grade level with math/reading etc. Anxiety is a big issue with him though. His doctor basically thinks Aspergers, which I know is not actually a diagnosis anymore. Anyway, he goes Tuesday for his appointment. Any ideas what I should tell him about why we are going to talk to these doctors?

Also, I would love some supportive friends if anyone wants to add me.

Replies

• redkim615
    redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My son is nonverbal and had to see a psychiatrist. At first, I thought it would be a waste of time, especially since he did not talk. However, she talked to me about his behavior and how he functions in certain situations. Afterward, she was able to help by contacting the school for extra therapy times with his speech and OT, and she was also able to help get us into more speech therapies in other facilities with a single phone call (after I spent years calling this other facility every month for two years only to have them tell me they had no openings). She has helped tremendously without issuing any medications. You could possibly tell your son that you know he gets overwhelmed sometimes, so you want to help him feel better when times like that occur, and these people can help too. Let him know that he should tell them how he feels when he gets anxious and what kinds of situations cause him to feel that way, that way those people can help both you and him to find solutions to help calm that overwhelming feeling. Let him know this will help you too, that way he is not alone in this. Learning new strategies for managing anxiety is good thing for anyone really. Hope that helps.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 2 boys with autism and 1 also has ADHD. I have always spoke to them very openly and honestly about there autism they deserve to know and it helps them understand their problems. Marcus was non verbal till he was 6 and very withdrawn classically autistic if you like he's now 21 and in mainstream college. He accepts he's autistic but he wishes it would go away. He still needs lots of support and in many ways is still very childlike ( I leave his 13 year old sister in charge if I go out because marcus couldn't cope). Piers 13 has aspergers but his main problem is ADHD he's an angry young man but also very loving. I am very straightforward with them and often need to be quite blunt to get my message across. Just be honest from the onset and you won't go wrong. Feel free to add me as a friend.