Single dad... Completely overwhelmed

Options
rushmermh
rushmermh Posts: 13 Member
Hi, my name is Michael. I'm 44, and live in the Greater Binghamton area of Upstate NY. I've been married for 20 years, and separated for the last 3 and a half. I have custody of my 3 boys (17, 14, and 12 years old).

I live an incredibly stressful life. My wife is emotionally (and sometimes physically) abusive to our sons and me, and has been ever since we got married. Our boys are all on the autism spectrum and have other special needs ranging from moderate to severe.

I've been overweight since I was a boy, particularly following a history of sexual abuse. I am an emotional eater, often binging when depressed or anxious.

I realize that my introduction has been terribly negative to this point, but I want you to know that inside, I consider myself to be a positive and hopeful person. I want to gain control over my bad habits and improve my health, both for me and especially for my boys.

I look forward to hearing from some of you and possibly making some new friends. Thank you for reading!

Michael

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey there Michael,

My name is Patrick.

I'm the father of two children, one of whom is on the autism spectrum.

I wish you the best Michael. I'm not really sure what to say but I'm glad you're reaching out to connect to others.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi Michael I'm Joy I'm the mother of 3 2 diagnosed with ASD and 1 with ADHD also but my daughter also has aspergers although undiagnosed. I am not a single parent but I do all the children's hospital appointments/therapy appointments alone as my husband finds it difficult. I am sorry to hear of the abuse you suffered and am glad you are still positive despite your experiences. If you want to add me as friend that would be great. I've regained the weight I lost due to ill health (fibromyalgia) and would like for us to support each other.
  • sublimelifeOG
    sublimelifeOG Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry for what you’ve gone though. You should check your library for The Whole Brain Child. It’s been really helpful for me and is so interesting. It may help you guys out in dealing with everything?